Options

Dexter Season 8 (The Final Season) (US Pace) [Spoilers MUST be in tags!]

Comments

• Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Well another disappointing episode and with 5 episodes left till it finishes Ive still got some hope that they will turn it around to give us a great end to the show
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Well another disappointing episode and with 5 episodes left till it finishes Ive still got some hope that they will turn it around to give us a great end to the show

I'm not sure where they are going at the moment.

But I thought Dexter looked very 'evil' in this episode.

I'm wondering if they are going to make him nasty so they can kill him off without the audience being as sympathetic as before.
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this weeks episode - mostly because Hanna was in it.

Still no idea where the hell they are going with 5 episodes left....that's not a good thing with this show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I for one thought this episode was a huge improvement, best episode all series thus far even. I may be a bit biased as I am a big Hannah fan but I honestly I think that her connection with Dexter is one of the only believable things going on atm.

I also felt genuinely sad when Cassie was murdered, the writers did a very good job at subtly endearing her to us during her short time on the show [as did the actress!].
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrGaryy_ wrote: »
    I for one thought this episode was a huge improvement, best episode all series thus far even. I may be a bit biased as I am a big Hannah fan but I honestly I think that her connection with Dexter is one of the only believable things going on atm.

I feel they missed a trick when they had her leave so early on last series.

It would really have been good if they had been a couple and killed people together.

But what annoyed me was when Hannah was complaining about Dexter helping to put her in jail, he didn't mention that she tried to kill his sister.

If she hadn't done that, then he would have kept going out with her.
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB - He actually used a false (?) name - Cooper, I think, and what seemed like a fake badge number he made up on the spot. It was a new low in the plausibility stakes for this redundant season. And they even threw in a phone number for good measure. I wonder if in real life a thousand people tried what he did, putting on a silly deep voice for extra phoniness, how many would get the info? One? None?

no he used a false name to the car hire company. We don't know how on earth he got the CCTV footage. btw, love the rehashed scripts posted! :D

I'm really not bothered with Vogel or that Zak guy. Much preferred Ray Stevenson's baddie last season. Hannah was a good character last season and hope she came back to give the finale a great ending (but I'm not building my hopes up).

Did anyone else notice Deb bringing up her love for Dex again this episode? All that 'falling in love with the wrong person' stuff. I thought that was buried but now I wonder if there is a reason behind it. Hope not - I don't want an incest kind of situation :eek:
  • Options
    blightyearblightyear Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Batista: This is Doctor Vogel, she's a psychologist specializing in serial killers.
    Vogel: Hello everyone, especially Dexter. I am here to help catch The Brain Surgeon. But half way through the investigation I just won't bother turning up and none of you will wonder why. In fact, the investigation will just fizzle out and nobody will care.
    Miami Metro Homicide Division: Hooray!!!

and

Batista: Hey, Quinn, sorry man but I gave the Sergeant's position to Miller.
    Quinn: Fkn' why, man?
    Batista: Reasons. But don't worry, even though the two of you have been working together, competing in investigations and constantly needling each other in the office over the last six weeks, once I promote her you won't see her again.
    Quinn: Fkn' cool!
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    There were two specific reasons I loved this episode... *rubs knees like Vic Reeves*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blightyear wrote: »
    Batista: This is Doctor Vogel, she's a psychologist specializing in serial killers.
    Vogel: Hello everyone, especially Dexter. I am here to help catch The Brain Surgeon. But half way through the investigation I just won't bother turning up and none of you will wonder why. In fact, the investigation will just fizzle out and nobody will care.
    Miami Metro Homicide Division: Hooray!!!

and

Batista: Hey, Quinn, sorry man but I gave the Sergeant's position to Miller.
    Quinn: Fkn' why, man?
    Batista: Reasons. But don't worry, even though the two of you have been working together, competing in investigations and constantly needling each other in the office over the last six weeks, once I promote her you won't see her again.
    Quinn: Fkn' cool!

Brilliant and, like all good satire, very true.

Vogel now exists completely in a Dexter-centric void, never seen doing anything but nonsense related to "Harry's Masterplan" (TM), and where the hell did Miller come from, and then go to? Why even bother with Miller? Were we, the Dexter watching public, meant to think "Oh no! Quinn didn't get the sergeant job! And after all that effort the sexoholic idiot who loves sucking his cheeks in put in! After investigating Deb in such depth after she confessed to killing LaGuerta he should be at least a captain."?
  • Options
    dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not been engaging this thread as I'm beyond fed up with the constant whining and complaining. I wish people would stop watching if they're not enjoying it, instead of riddling this thread with the same tiresome comments week in, week out.

Just a heads-up however, to mention that there will be a week off shortly. We'll have an episode on Sunday and the 25th, but it won't then be back till September 8th. I find that very frustrating, this close to the end. Alas, the finale will air on September 22nd.
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not watching is not an option for those who have watched every season since the start. We have a lot invested in these characters and need to know how things end. That doesn't mean we have to be uncritical. Few series manage to sustain quality and originality through eight seasons and Dexter's shortcomings in this last season are partly due to some sloppy plotting and scripts, partly to the fact that the originality of the concept has worn off and partly to the high expectations generated by the pre-season publicity.

It's just too tempting to keep a successful show running too long. Fringe finished on a high after a short fifth season. Dexter looks like it's staggering to an implausible ending a couple of seasons too late.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose some fans feel duty bound to watch to the end - I felt like that with Battlestar Gallactica - the final series was like pulling teeth (though I quite liked the finale when it finally came)
    This series of Dexter is pretty underwhelming - watchable, certainly - but its not going out on a high. Maybe it really is the best they could do and so it is best that its going now.:(
  • Options
    decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may be an unpopular opinion but they made a huge mistake when they killed Rita off in Season 4. The show has never recovered IMO. I liked watching Dex;s struggle between family man and serial killer The final season could have focussed on Rita and the kids seeing more and more of who Dex really is, and ultimately finding out the truth and dealing with it

Regarding Season 8 it's not gripping me at all, but like others I feel bound to watch it to see how it ends.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dannyb0yuk wrote: »
    I've not been engaging this thread as I'm beyond fed up with the constant whining and complaining. I wish people would stop watching if they're not enjoying it, instead of riddling this thread with the same tiresome comments week in, week out.

Just a heads-up however, to mention that there will be a week off shortly. We'll have an episode on Sunday and the 25th, but it won't then be back till September 8th. I find that very frustrating, this close to the end. Alas, the finale will air on September 22nd.

If you don't like other people's opinions you're in the wrong place.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Good episode but Hannah as a victim seemed a bit odd.

It's like the writers were trying a little too hard to generate sympathy for her and not have her killed/arrested in this episode by having Miles be such a possessive jerk towards.

Of course Dexter is lying to himself with Hannah but right now, she seems less trouble than Zach is for him.

Cassie didn't deserve to die and Zach should be taken out for it.

Vogel's being a bit too contradictory at times as well.

Liked the scenes with Deb and Elway, was less keen on the Masuka and Nikki ones though. 8/10
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't like other people's opinions you're in the wrong place.

It's no about not liking other people's opinions. There's difference of opinion with constructive criticism and then there's behaving like immature school kids, or criticism based on selective amnesia. I imagine the reason some are rubbing others up the wrong way is probably due to a fair amount of recent posts that tend to be leaning toward the latter two categories. That's just my opinion of course.
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Cassie didn't deserve to die and Zach should be taken out for it.

I bet it'll turn out Zach didn't do it.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    I actually think this latest episode was better. Yes I still share some of the criticisms of this final season that has already been mentioned, but

I know she was a polarising figure with some Dexter fans but for me I thought Hannah was an ideal foil for him previously (far more so than Lumen for example) so personally I am pleased she has made her return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    It's no about not liking other people's opinions. There's difference of opinion with constructive criticism and then there's behaving like immature school kids, or criticism based on selective amnesia. I imagine the reason some are rubbing others up the wrong way is probably due to a fair amount of recent posts that tend to be leaning toward the latter two categories. That's just my opinion of course.

I haven't read anything that resembles posts by immature school kids. I have read posts that are more entertaining than this season of Dexter, however.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't read anything that resembles posts by immature school kids. I have read posts that are more entertaining than this season of Dexter, however.

Thanks for your opinion.
  • Options
    blightyearblightyear Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    It would be cool if Dexter ended where he's convicted of killing the motel owner whose body he dumped in a grain store a couple of series ago. That way he's punished for murder, but also gets away with his more "altruistic" crimes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Already missing this show.......:cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    I bet it'll turn out Zach didn't do it.

If that's true, then it's probably Oliver who did it then.

It couldn't have been Hannah. She was too busy bumping off her husband.
  • Options
    loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dannyb0yuk wrote: »

I'd avoided this thread, as I'd only seen up to episode 3 and had a marathon watching session the other day - needn't have bothered catching up really, every other post is a variant on the same repetitive "blah blah, it's not the same as it was blah blah".

Hate it when they take a break, I was trying to pace myself and watch the last two episodes together, don't think I'll manage now.

I'm torn between how I want it to end. I want a happy ever after for Debs, but I keep forgetting she killed LaGuerta.
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Good episode but Hannah as a victim seemed a bit odd.

It's like the writers were trying a little too hard to generate sympathy for her and not have her killed/arrested in this episode by having Miles be such a possessive jerk towards.

I think Hannah's character has always pulled on the heartstrings, and that's what makes her interesting. She's a killer, but she is also vulnerable, emotionally fragile, and there's a sadness / poignancy about her.

I think the actress who plays her does a brilliant job of portraying that.

In the last series when her dad was so cruel to her, and he smashed his truck into her greenhouse. She was so heartbroken, destroyed, and that came accross so well, as did her anguish about the first people she killed with her boyfriend (when she was being interviewed by Deb).

There was also a contrast between her and Dexter while they were in a relationship. She was open and sweet with him, and he didn't always know how to react.

I even felt sorry for her when he turned her in, and she said "you should have just killed me".

Perhaps she's like those poisonous orchids she grows, fragile, and easily damaged... but ultimately deadly.