Options

Marvel's Ant-Man

LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
Forum Member
✭✭
Teaser for the teaser trailer.

This one is full screen, not like the 'ant' sized one from yesterday.
http://youtu.be/ddcIabcfwTM

Comments

• Options
    THE ROTCODTHE ROTCOD Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this i think might be mcu,s first flop
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder which of his villains they are going to use, he has quite a few iconic ones such as -

Foot-Man
    Doctor Pesticide
    The Vinegar Monster
    The Trail Destroyer
    Bleach Boy
    and the Mighty Magnifying Glass

I'd be quite happy seeing any of these turn up, providing they are true to the source material.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know much about Ant-Man and losing Edgar Wright, who was originally going to do it but left because he wasn't on the same page as Marvel, makes this movie less interesting however Marvel are doing a great job with things so it could turn out to be a good film.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing to see here.

Wait until Tuesday when we can see the full length trailer for Ant-Man.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THE ROTCOD wrote: »

Why is it when a movie is made about the less well-know Marvel characters, some people start to cry 'flop' even before any of the movie has been seen?

We have not seen a proper trailer yet, and there is no way to make a judgement on the popularity of the movie. You can only guess, at best.

And I will remind you an awful lot of people did that with Guardians Of The Galaxy...
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They said this about Guardian's of the Galaxy.
    But they seem to have a way of making these films work.

You might be right in this case though. Because this film appears to have had some troubles getting to screen.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Nothing to see here.

Wait until Tuesday when we can see the full length trailer for Ant-Man.

Its only a teaser on Wednesday, but given that how long teasers are now, it'll feel like a full length trailer.

:)
  • Options
    GB-UKGB-UK Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Why is it when a movie is made about the less well-know Marvel characters, some people start to cry 'flop' even before any of the movie has been seen?

I don't think he's one of the lesser known characters being one of the founding members of the Avengers and the actual creator of Ultron!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GB-UK wrote: »
    I don't think he's one of the lesser known characters being one of the founding members of the Avengers and the actual creator of Ultron!

I meant lesser-known in the sense that a lot of the non comic-reading general public would not be aware of the character.

Most people would only be aware of the morepopular comic characters...Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Hulk etc (Yes, I know some of them are DC, but a lot of people would not know that either).
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I predict it will make around 500 million at the box office, so the lowest grossing MCU in years but still higher than either Thor or Captain America grossed in 2011. It could easily be a mixed movie though, as it's been through the whole creative differences ordeal. But I think Feige will ensure it is at least decent. Could be surprisingly fantastic though - I felt Winter Soldier was superb.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However it performs, I think it could be a preface to Civil War. So whilst it may or may not perform well on release, I think its value will be measured in later years when we can measure its contribution to the overall MCU story arc.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    I predict it will make around 500 million at the box office, so the lowest grossing MCU in years but still higher than either Thor or Captain America grossed in 2011. It could easily be a mixed movie though, as it's been through the whole creative differences ordeal. But I think Feige will ensure it is at least decent. Could be surprisingly fantastic though - I felt Winter Soldier was superb.
    Can't see this doing less than 500 given Marvel's current form, but what's interesting is that there's a less than 3-month gap between this (US July 17) and earlier Marvel release Avengers: Age of Ultron (US May 1), which will doubtlessly be huge.

Marvel have released properties close to each other before, notably 1st Thor & 1st Cap, but they're a bigger deal now, so expectations for Ant-Man could be high. It's got a lot to prove, and Marvel are in for some intense scrutiny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if the film doesn't perform as well as other Marvel films its not like Marvel are suddenly going to fall apart.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I think I am in agreement with everyone who believes this film will flop; it's essentially about a guy that can shrink and grow in size, and talk to ants. Looking at all the other cinematic heroes (and villains) thus far, they are all... credible. A shrinking dude that can communicate with insects isn't.

They're obviously going to follow this up and put Ant Man in Avengers 3 (and maybe the Civil War stuff too) though I can't see an Ant Man 2 getting the green light. I have hopes that I'll be wrong, but I've looked forward to all the other films (even Guardians, which was a huge hit) - Ant Man just isn't sounding all that appealing to me.

I think, maybe they'd have been better off simply introducing the character in one of the other films, but whatever.
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I think I am in agreement with everyone who believes this film will flop; it's essentially about a guy that can shrink and grow in size, and talk to ants. Looking at all the other cinematic heroes (and villains) thus far, they are all... credible. A shrinking dude that can communicate with insects isn't.

They're obviously going to follow this up and put Ant Man in Avengers 3 (and maybe the Civil War stuff too) though I can't see an Ant Man 2 getting the green light. I have hopes that I'll be wrong, but I've looked forward to all the other films (even Guardians, which was a huge hit) - Ant Man just isn't sounding all that appealing to me.

I think, maybe they'd have been better off simply introducing the character in one of the other films, but whatever.

You mean like a walking tree and a talking raccoon?;-)
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    yaristaman wrote: »
    Heh, I was actually thinking (at the precise time of that post) about the Earth-bound heroes.

You've got Ironman - essentially a tech genius
    Black Widow & Hawkeye - special ops / skilled soldiers
    Captain America - a super soldier serum (I wouldn't have a hard time believing this would be something various nations could/would work toward one day)
    Hulk - Granted a little unlikely here, but someone with a split personality who had an accident in a lab that deformed him.

My point was though, that with our Earth heroes, you could imagine (yes?) them existing in some respects - they're credible and not overly farfetched, whereas Ant Man (to me) is. Rocket (the talking Racoon) is actually the result of genetic and technological mutation and experimentation - we're experimenting on Chimps today - what's to say someone didn't work on a Raccoon at some point? So not, not implausible. :p

And Groot? Well he's a true alien - and with that, anything goes really as we've nothing to base a theory on.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Looking at all the other cinematic heroes (and villains) thus far, they are all... credible. A shrinking dude that can communicate with insects isn't
    Credible or not, a shrinking dude at least brings some fresh visual potential to be explored. Given the samey-ness that's started to creep into these Marvel spectacles it's most welcome.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yaristaman wrote: »

Or as opposed to shrinking, a bloke who turns green and grows to about 15 foot.
    Or even more extreme, a guy who's actually a Norse God.:D
  • Options
    THE ROTCODTHE ROTCOD Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We have not seen a proper trailer yet, and there is no way to make a judgement on the popularity of the movie. You can only guess, at best.

And I will remind you an awful lot of people did that with Guardians Of The Galaxy...
    i dont recall saying anything about gaurdians.the marvel films do well because they have to appeal to non comic fans more so than comic fans.look at dark night films versus green lantern green hornet.non comic fans simply arnt interested
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont recall saying anything about gaurdians.the marvel films do well because they have to appeal to non comic fans more so than comic fans.look at dark night films versus green lantern green hornet.non comic fans simply arnt interested

Guardians is a valid was a perfectly valid example of a Marvel movie where a lot of people assumed it would flop, because the characters were not that well known outside of the comic reading fraternity.

And I still maintain that as we have not yet heard any word on this movie, seen any significant footage etc any so-called 'predictions' about it being a flop are pure guesswork.

Green Lantern? Possibly a bit too obscure a character, but also was a rather pedestrian movie anyway...it could have worked with a better script.

Green Hornet? Since when was that a Marvel/DC superhero movie? It started life on radio and is best known as a TV show, and though it was serialised in comics it's not part of the same franchises we are discussing here
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guardians worked because it didn't as bogged down with being part of the MCU because it wasn't set on Earth.

I do wonder whether Ant-Man will address the aftermath of AoU or leave that for Captain America: Civil War. It's interesting they went for Scott Lang rather than Hank Pym but I imagine it'll explained in the film.
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Marvel have proven anything over the past few years, it's that they have a very good handle on how they want to expand the MCU, and I'm confident that if Ant-Man currently seems like a strange choice for the first post-AOU movie, then there must be a very specific reason for it within the greater "canon" that will become clear when we see it... in fact, my (totally unsupported!) theory on Edgar Wright's departure from the project is that he was probably unwilling to shoehorn his own vision into the wider needs of the MCU.

None of which means that Ant-Man is a guaranteed hit, but I think Marvel have bought themselves enough goodwill for us to give them the benefit of the doubt , at least 'til we see a real trailer!
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Guardians worked because it didn't as bogged down with being part of the MCU because it wasn't set on Earth.

I do wonder whether Ant-Man will address the aftermath of AoU or leave that for Captain America: Civil War. It's interesting they went for Scott Lang rather than Hank Pym but I imagine it'll explained in the film.

At least part of Wright's problem with Marvel was his unwillingness to have the story tie-in to the events of the rest of the universe, so you would have to assume that there will be some references.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I first heard of Ant Man I assumed he was something similar to Jeff Goldblum in the Fly, might that put a lot of people off?
  • Options
    SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A part of me will always wonder how the Edgar Wright version would have turned out. I'm not a comic book fan but I was interested in this film up until Edgar Wright left simply because he was directing it. We could have had something really interesting and unique, now we are likely to get your standard Marvel 'by the numbers' job.