Options

Beetlejuice 2

pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
Forum Member
✭✭
Tim Burton has confirmed that he will direct a sequel movie to the original Beetlejuice, Michael is going to return and so is Winona. The movie is currently being written. Thoughts? Good idea or bad? I actually am hopeful for a good follow up, as long as it isn't "Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian" that was planned for the early 90's.

Comments

• Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Tim Burton has confirmed that he will direct a sequel movie to the original Beetlejuice, Michael is going to return and so is Winona. The movie is currently being written. Thoughts? Good idea or bad? I actually am hopeful for a good follow up, as long as it isn't "Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian" that was planned for the early 90's.
    Keaton needs to get to the gym, how can a dead person get fat?
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    What is it with belated sequels to great 80's/90's movies these days?
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    What is it with belated sequels to great 80's/90's movies these days?
    They can play to two audiences: old and new.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They can play to two audiences: old and new.

Good point :)
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what role Helena will fill? It's inevitable she'll be in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Love interest for Beetlejuice or villan perhaps?
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First promo pics from Beetlejuice Beetlejuice:

IMG-0960.jpg
  • Options
    Mint-OpinionMint-Opinion Posts: 16,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what it is but I'm kind of sick of Jenna Ortega already.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Teaser trailer has dropped. No real talking, just lots of visuals. Looks like the funeral the family are attending is Charles, not surprising given the controversies around Jeffrey Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6yDanmWI1E
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cautiously optimistic. Might even make this a cinema visit.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    The original cast is good and adding Willem Defoe and Monica Bellucci is always a good thing.
  • Options
    scotsbunnyscotsbunny Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what role Lisa Marie Helena Monica will fill? It's inevitable she'll be in it.
    Corrected for 2024.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 21/03/24 - 22:51 #14
    Burn Gorman as the vicar there, he gets around.

That’s the main thing I have to say about the trailer. 😂

Oh and I hope Jenna Ortega’s character is over 18, given presumably B will be perving over her. 😉
  • Options
    Pete2174Pete2174 Posts: 21,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 22/03/24 - 07:26 #15

pburke90 wrote: »
    Teaser trailer has dropped. No real talking, just lots of visuals. Looks like the funeral the family are attending is Charles, not surprising given the controversies around Jeffrey Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6yDanmWI1E
    Yes please.
  • Options
    Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope this teaser trailer doesn't end up being the best thing about "Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice", because as it is, I love this. The choir doing that song and the pan across the characters ending on Catherine O'Hara just got me good. I had to look twice to recognise Winona.

What chance an appearance from Geena and Alec at some point in the film?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The obvious issue is 65 year old Tim Burton is unlikely to be as creative as 30 year old Burton. (The older directors that still make high quality movies like Lynch and Scorsese don’t tend to have release dates they have to meet, which isn’t the case for Burton here)

I loved the original Beetlejuice when I was a kid, far more than Ghostbusters, and will probably watch the sequel purely because of sentimentality, but I will be sad when the Saturn worm is inevitably CG and not stop motion.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't going to watch this, but I've seen the trailer and I'm still debating.

Not for beetleJuice, but im hoping we get a Tim Burton free from the Disneyfication he's been under in the past 15 years....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 23/03/24 - 04:31 #19
    I wasn't going to watch this, but I've seen the trailer and I'm still debating.

Not for beetleJuice, but im hoping we get a Tim Burton free from the Disneyfication he's been under in the past 15 years....

To your second point, reading this made me very happy, they are doing as much practical, on set special effects as possible:

https://www.thewrap.com/michael-keaton-beetlejuice-2-practical-effects-tim-burton/
  • Options
    Mint-OpinionMint-Opinion Posts: 16,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    The obvious issue is 65 year old Tim Burton is unlikely to be as creative as 30 year old Burton. (The older directors that still make high quality movies like Lynch and Scorsese don’t tend to have release dates they have to meet, which isn’t the case for Burton here)

I loved the original Beetlejuice when I was a kid, far more than Ghostbusters, and will probably watch the sequel purely because of sentimentality, but I will be sad when the Saturn worm is inevitably CG and not stop motion.

The stop motion animation is returning according to several articles online.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Based purely off that trailer though, I would guess Burn Gorman’s minister is the villain- he usually plays heels- and in the end Beetlejuice will help the family defeat him.

I will remain skeptical about this movie! 😉
  • Options
    FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Usually I’d have the same concerns as you, but Burton and Keaton have been so protective over this film - they’ve refused previous sequel treatments when they weren’t good enough and have ensured the approach to this was as close as possible to the original, including practical effects. I doubt it will be as good as the original, but all the signs are good. Where I’ll worry is if they rush a third into production when this one is a hit!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Usually I’d have the same concerns as you, but Burton and Keaton have been so protective over this film - they’ve refused previous sequel treatments when they weren’t good enough and have ensured the approach to this was as close as possible to the original, including practical effects. I doubt it will be as good as the original, but all the signs are good. Where I’ll worry is if they rush a third into production when this one is a hit!

This is my only problem. The script being written by those hacks that created Smallville.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We will all be watching it for nostalgia. Of course it won't come close to the original but lets just hope its good.
  • Options
    Pete2174Pete2174 Posts: 21,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »

This is my only problem. The script being written by those hacks that created Smallville.

As in triple Emmy winning Smallville?

Seen by many as one of the best interpretations of the Superman mythos with Michael Rosenbaums highly praised performance as Lex Luthor? That Smalllville?
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Where I’ll worry is if they rush a third into production when this one is a hit!

A hit? As 80s nostalgia goes, I imagine this'll be more Ghostbusters reboot than Top Gun.

Mind you I didn't think the original was much cop, so who knows.