Options

Pick Your Own Apocolypse.

Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
Forum Member
✭✭
Which is your favourite end-of-the-world scenario? I don't necessarily mean which one to you expect or think is most likely, just which one appeals to your sadistic side or think is most entertaining in a Hollywood film? And what would you do if you were around when it happened? Are you a Snowball Earth or Alien Invasion type? Nuclear Armaggeddon or Ebola Virus?

For me I'm torn between Alien Invasion and a Global collapse of the world's computing systems due to a computer vrius leading to financial meltdown and total chaos.

Comments

• Options
    HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aliens would be cool.... Not super aliens though, I want to be able kill a few of them before they ravage our planet....
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, as a Stephen King devotee, I vote for Captain Trips, so long as we redheads are given immunity.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Invasion by sexy aliens with whipped cream rifles.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my favourite would have to be zombie apocalypse or deadly killer virulent disease. a nuclear war would be over too quickly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The world stops spinning and we all get flown into the galaxy
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One that involves me trapped with lots of horny women with an insatiable need to repopulate the world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I favour Nuclear Apocolypse ever since playing Fallout 2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    A flood...Oh wait thats been done!
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frost21 wrote: »
    I favour Nuclear Apocolypse ever since playing Fallout 2.

if only! that would be awesome!
  • Options
    RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    Which is your favourite end-of-the-world scenario? I don't necessarily mean which one to you expect or think is most likely, just which one appeals to your sadistic side or think is most entertaining in a Hollywood film? And what would you do if you were around when it happened? Are you a Snowball Earth or Alien Invasion type? Nuclear Armaggeddon or Ebola Virus?

For me I'm torn between Alien Invasion and a Global collapse of the world's computing systems due to a computer vrius leading to financial meltdown and total chaos.

Klingons firing a Trilithium device into the Sun causing it to stop the fusion reaction & explode.
  • Options
    5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Run away global warming so I would get a sea front property when all the ice caps melt and it would be lovely and warm in Scotland all year round.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has to be zombies for me. Probably the classic, slow plodding ones rather than the 28 days later type.
  • Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life always seems defined by death, which is a shame ...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobaltmale wrote: »

Thats deep:cry:

I would favour a Zombie one.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobaltmale wrote: »

They are one and the same....

There is no death, there's only eternity
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sun just suddenly dies, stops burning, fades into total darkness and freezing cold.

Day turns to night and the planet freezes. Watch the energy bills skyrocket!!
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The moon falls from the sky and crashes into earth.
    That would be great.
  • Options
    *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    poppitypop wrote: »

:D I like that one, the idea of it makes me laugh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Nuclear warfare- have it over and done with, give me ten minutes to kiss goodbye to my loved ones :)
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I'm quite partial to the idea of an alien or zombie invasion.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun goes super nova, the Earth is toast… The day after aliens arrive at the edge of the remnants’ of our solar system with the technology to have saved mankind. The ultimate irony!
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppitypop wrote: »
    I hate to pour cold water on your glorious apocalyptic vision, but it ain't going to happen. If you were at the equator and the earth suddenly stopped spinning you'd shoot off at a tangent to the equator at about 1000mph. As the escape velocity for the earth is about 25000mph I'd afraid you'd eventually fall back to earth.

Of course, the sonic bang you made as you exceeded the speed of sound would be quite impressive. Or would it? The atmosphere would also start moving relative to the earth at 1000mph so it would probably all get quite complicated. :)
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The moon falls from the sky and crashes into earth.
    That would be great.

Watch the newer version of The Time Machine for an apoca-wank!
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    The world won't end, but humans might die out.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    I hate to pour cold water on your glorious apocalyptic vision, but it ain't going to happen. If you were at the equator and the earth suddenly stopped spinning you'd shoot off at a tangent to the equator at about 1000mph. As the escape velocity for the earth is about 25000mph I'd afraid you'd eventually fall back to earth.

Of course, the sonic bang you made as you exceeded the speed of sound would be quite impressive. Or would it? The atmosphere would also start moving relative to the earth at 1000mph so it would probably all get quite complicated. :)

I love it when (non-specific) you take an original 'off-the-cuff' idea and think it through. With this one if the Earth stopped spinning there'd be some pretty complicated tectonic movements going on as well as atmospheric movement.

For those espousing our Sun going Super Nova - sorry but our sun is not massive enough. Best we can hope for is to be engulfed in the sun's bloated atmosphere as it becomes a Red Giant just before it dies out with a whimper leaving a White Dwarf.

I also quite like the idea if a rampaging SuperMonster a la Cloverfield or Godzilla.