Options

how do insurance firms get away with ripping us all off?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
Forum Member
✭✭
if you are a first time driver you pay thousands even though you have passed a test saying you are up to standard. if you have the wrong post code you pay over the odds.

how does the goverment not look into this?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Insurance companies work out your premiums based on the probability of you having an accident.

Younger drivers who have just passed their test have a higher probability of having an accident than older drivers with more experience, the chances rise if you are male rather than female.

There is a greater risk of your car being stolen in some areas than in others therefore some people have higher premiums than others based on where they live (although it is true that post codes don't always align with car crime hotspots).

The government don't need to look into it because it's pretty obvious how it works and there are lots of insurance firms on the market that provide the competition needed to make sure that firms can't just charge what they want.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the law says we have to have it so they've got us over a barrel.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trfk8 wrote: »
    if you are a first time driver you pay thousands even though you have passed a test saying you are up to standard. if you have the wrong post code you pay over the odds.

how does the goverment not look into this?

It's all based on risk, young drivers have a higher probability of having an accident than anyone else so pay more. Simple really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Post Codes have a lot to answer for! ;)

To be fair to Insurance Companies, they're not the only ones out there ripping us off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »

So you think it should be optional?
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you think it should be optional?

No.

I think they should stop taking the piss out of people.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it's called extortion, I'm not totally sure though. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

I think they should stop taking the piss out of people.

My insurance is very reasonable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    isopap wrote: »
    Insurance companies work out your premiums based on the probability of you having an accident.

Younger drivers who have just passed their test have a higher probability of having an accident than older drivers with more experience, the chances rise if you are male rather than female.

There is a greater risk of your car being stolen in some areas than in others therefore some people have higher premiums than others based on where they live (although it is true that post codes don't always align with car crime hotspots).

The government don't need to look into it because it's pretty obvious how it works and there are lots of insurance firms on the market that provide the competition needed to make sure that firms can't just charge what they want.

all resonable points but they are charging well over top speaking as a 36 year old man driving a 1.2 litre corsa who has not claimed, has three points, lives in a quiet area but close to a rough area accordind to post code, why is the cheapest quote £280? whereas a relative aged 60 with a drink driving conviction driving a 2 litre saab £200 ?
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all based on risk, young drivers have a higher probability of having an accident than anyone else so pay more. Simple really.

Yeah, simple, but flawed.

The OP is right, the original idea of Risk Insurance was that the sensible, older, risk-free driver's premiums ( the drivers who have had 20 years of no claims, like me ) would underwrite and therefore subsidise the young and the impetuous and the riskier drivers .

This doesn't happen, never has for yonks, young drivers are given completely unreasonable premiums, the Insurance companies are taking no risks and pocketing vast profits.

The Government should investigate this anomaly.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a new driver. My car insurance was £1200 ;_;
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit that some of the quotes I have had this year are really stupid - quite a few of them around the £750 mark. Bearing in mind that I have 17 years no claims, have never had any convictions, and hold a professional licence, I reckon that is pretty close to highway robbery.

Cheapest I got was £410, which still seems excessive to me, but I've no choice but to pay it.
  • Options
    JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop whinging. My cheapest quote is around £4000. I'm 18 years old, and this is on a 1l Corsa or a 1.2 Clio, combined with my postcode which is the 2nd worst, and my sex (male).

Because of this, I can't get a car. If my insurance was £1 or 2k, I would have a car by now. As it stands, I can't afford £400 a month for insurance.

What I don't understand is how am I any more likely to cause an accident than a person with my same details, but who goes on their parents insurance. It's unfair.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While you may have passed the test (so you could drive acceptably for 40 minutes, and answered a few questions and watched some videos), unfortunately most people throw all everything they've learnt out the window the instant they aren't in their instructors' car anymore.

Insurance premiums aren't great, but they are based on risk. It also helps stop 17 year olds buying high-performance cars and stacking them 5 minutes into their first drive (although some do that anyway, but with a Nova).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    While you may have passed the test (so you could drive acceptably for 40 minutes, and answered a few questions and watched some videos), unfortunately most people throw all everything they've learnt out the window the instant they aren't in their instructors' car anymore.

Insurance premiums aren't great, but they are based on risk. It also helps stop 17 year olds buying high-performance cars and stacking them 5 minutes into their first drive (although some do that anyway, but with a Nova).

in fairness most people who drive forget most of what was taught them on their test. most of us would not pass if we resat again.

surely your insurance should start off cheap and get more expensive the more accidents you have where you are at fault?

you don't pay silly money for house insurance just because you are a first time buyer.
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordanT91 wrote: »
    Stop whinging. My cheapest quote is around £4000. I'm 18 years old, and this is on a 1l Corsa or a 1.2 Clio, combined with my postcode which is the 2nd worst, and my sex (male).

Because of this, I can't get a car. If my insurance was £1 or 2k, I would have a car by now. As it stands, I can't afford £400 a month for insurance.

What I don't understand is how am I any more likely to cause an accident than a person with my same details, but who goes on their parents insurance. It's unfair.

We're 'whinging' with good reason, and as much for your benefit as ours; I think that it is completely wrong that motorists of your age are being asked for silly money to insure basic, small cars as it is only going to lead to one of a few things happening:

- being insured on parents insurance, and therefore not able to build up any no-claims of their own, besides the risk that the insurer will wriggle out of any claim on the basis of 'fronting'

- can't afford insurance at all, so can't drive, therefore are not gaining any experience (most if not all of us learned more after our driving test than we did before it)

- can't afford insurance at all, so drive without it (and these are the ones that really worry me)

Besides anything else, all the time they are quoting young drivers like you premiums that should carry a mortgage application, premiums for drivers like me are also inordinately high as our premiums are a discounted version of yours.

Also don't forget, I've been paying insurance for 17 years, so will have paid something in the region of £8k in premiums in that time, yet have never claimed for anything more than a windscreen - so their premiums are hardly risk based.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    As a first time driver myself I do agree insurance costs a ridiculous amount of money! I'm only covered third party, fire and theft, but after one year I will already have paid more than my 11 year old fiesta is worth! I should just think myself lucky I'm not male or it would be twice as much :eek:
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trfk8 wrote: »
    surely your insurance should start off cheap and get more expensive the more accidents you have where you are at fault?
    Insurance is a transfer of risk. The insurers assess the likelihood of an accident and the cost of the accident. Long terms stats show that younger drivers and male drivers are more likely to have accidents with more costly consequences.
    Insurance can rise if you have too many accidents.
    you don't pay silly money for house insurance just because you are a first time buyer.
    The risks aren't comparable though, as house insurance is mainly about 1 in 100 years events, whereas car accidents are far more frequent.
  • Options
    camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    My insurance is very reasonable although N.I insurance used to be very high, my 1000cc bike is only 87.00 per year under classic insurance and my group 17 car is only 330 .00fully comp + cat A, If the mainland adopted the N.I system for new drivers I think that insurance and accidents with young drivers would drop.
  • Options
    azaleaazalea Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    I have just renewed mine. I received my renewal and decided to use compare the market to see if I could get a better deal. My own insurer quoted my 250 less than the renewal they had sent a day earlier. Getting ripped off all round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit that some of the quotes I have had this year are really stupid - quite a few of them around the £750 mark. Bearing in mind that I have 17 years no claims, have never had any convictions, and hold a professional licence, I reckon that is pretty close to highway robbery.

Cheapest I got was £410, which still seems excessive to me, but I've no choice but to pay it.

What are you driving?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordanT91 wrote: »

You are more likely as the people on their parent's insurance aren't the main driver. Of course they may be lying about that fact, but in the insurance company's eyes they are just using it at nights and weekends.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    My first car was £900 and first year insurance was £1200 :cool: Makes you laugh doesn't it.

Second year it went down to £750 though.

3rd year is coming up in November...
  • Options
    EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are you driving?

It doesn't seem to matter at the moment as insurance has been hiked up in the last year due to uninsured drivers (see the irony there).

If it wasn't for AXA this year my renewal would have been the cheapest by £120. Last year there were 5-6 insurance companies under my renewal. This year 1.

BTW I drive a Ford Focus Zetec Climate 1.6 with 10 years ncb. Not exactly sporty but if I swapped it for a BMW Z3 2.2i its only £150 more.
  • Options
    TIVO_YORK99TIVO_YORK99 Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    The biggest car insurer in the UK pays out 98% of the premiums it takes in on claims/administration. Is a 2% markup really ripping people off?