Options

[Torchwood: Miracle Day] 'The Categories of Life' - BBC1 9PM (UK Pace)

Comments

• Options
    Julian-FreakJulian-Freak Posts: 2,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    So whoever found him in the secure room in the building just shipped him off?
    and then they didn't do anything about it? no looking for who did it etc?

It might just be one of those un-answered questions. I couldn't really say .

If he turns up later in the series then we may get an answer.

Until then I assume he was cleaned up and shipped off to the overflow camps or disposed by the big bad or he may turn up later.

:)
  • Options
    WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Hang on, if no one can die and they reduce them to dust via the ovens, then surely they are dead and therefore people can die, but the whole premise of miracle day is that no one can die so what happens to all the burnt body dust ? Can dust be alive and have sentient thoughts ?

As I said 5 weeks ago...
    Wmsheep wrote: »

Hmmm, this brings up an interesting concept - what would happen to someone who was totally burned in the crash (ie effectively cremated). Would their remains (ie a box of ashes) have some form of consciousness?? Would each individual bit of ash have the whole of their consciousness within it, or just a tiny bit of it?

• Options
    MrOstentatiousMrOstentatious Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This episode was amazing. I'll miss Jurez, she was my fave character :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Latonia wrote: »
    So they've gone from having people alive who should be dead to having burnt people alive who should be dead. What's that going to achieve?

The way I see it is they are being cremated so that no one has to deal with them anymore.

Best episode yet for me, especially with such a horrible fate for a character I've warmed to so much. Granted, the padding has been annoying but I feel it has built up the leading cast very well.

I have a feeling the momentum will gain more heavily now and it should be a blast!

Edit: beaten to it by everyone. Need to type faster on the phone!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the remains of the incinerated dead are being used for some ulterior motive by Phicorp or the baddies.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tale1996 wrote: »
    Glad they announced that they were showing Doctor Who clip, spoiler free this year.

it was only the series 6.2 trailer.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the remains of the incinerated dead are being used for some ulterior motive by Phicorp or the baddies.

Or big pharma are only interested in people who can pay for their drugs
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Zarius - you are an incredibly rude person, just because people have other opinions from you, there is no need for rudeness. No doubt you will respond to this with some suitably rude comment.
  • Options
    QuickfadeQuickfade Posts: 5,998
    Forum Member
    k9fan wrote: »
    Just an American drama, for me.

Jack is not being Captain Jack Harkness.

Still disappointed.

I thought the last two episodes have been more like the 'good old' Torchwood (slightly cheesy, melodramatic etc.), rather than the slick US production of the first couple of eps. I'm enjoying it more, although I still miss the old crew and wish that there were more references to things that had happened in the previous three series to provide some sort of continuity for us viewers that have been watching since Day 1.
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    I actually think the pacing has worked well now it's speeding up - we're able to care about characters who are killed off.

I think anyone who watches something like Dexter will be used to this kind of pacing of a series and be used to who effective it ends up.

I remember a lot of people saying season 4 of Dexter was rubbish halfway through and after it had finished it's regarded as one of the best ever. I'm happy to keep enjoying this series of Torchwood as it's going and can't wait for the next ep!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Zarius wrote: »
    Lord you're dumb.

Lord you're rude. :rolleyes:

The only thing worth watching in this is Gwen. Jack is just a shadow of the man we knew and he's been totally ineffectual from episode one. Rex is hopeless and just irritating. Esther is ok but has no real substance and just doesn't fit in. The twist with Vera was far too predictible and already nearly half the "new" TW team are dead or "dead" in Rex's case.

I really wanted to like it but they should have just stopped with COE. Or at least be honest and admit it is only half the show it used to be and half a totally new concept for a totally new audience across the pond. I guess the Americans like it which really was the aim, if they didn't then it stood no chance of ever getting another series/movie.
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I'm still enjoying this series a great deal, maybe not quite as good as CoE but still very. very good. I really don't understand all these 'it's just American rubbish now' comments :confused: It's definitely still Torchwood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Or big pharma are only interested in people who can pay for their drugs

Another interesting possibilty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THIS SERIES IS SO FRUSTRATING.

I love the premise, and last week really showed potential. And so did this week. The scenes in the camps, while a tad predictable, were effective, and Vera's death was classic "death is not cheap" Torchwood. I assume Gwen's dad is in the oven too, which is a shame, he brought real warmth out of Gwen's character. It was nice to see Wales again too, and parts of it had a real Children of Earth vibe, which can never be a bad thing.

But good god the Oswald Danes storyline is moronic. No complaints about Bill Pullman, he's fantastic, and I think Lauren Ambrose is very good too. But the concept of the character is fundamentally ridiculous. We're expected to believe that the public are stupid enough to accept a child murderer as some kind of messiah just because he's got good PR and he's, like, clever 'n' stuff. Nothing in his story rings true: every week, people jeer at him and call him a monster, then he gets up and does some corny speech and everyone suddenly loves him. You can just tell the writers think they're making some clever commentary on the fickleness of human nature, but it's in no way believable.

The problem with this is it takes away from the main, more important plot about the government deciding who is "dead" and bundling them into concentration camps. So we get to the pivotal scene where a mainish character is murdered and Torchwood realises the true nature of the menace, only to have it interrupted by Oswald shouting some guff about angels. Really, angels?

I'm voting Average this week, whereas last week was Good-Excellent. The series is so close to greatness, but it constantly frustrates me. The Oswald story needs to go, or at least start making some bloody sense!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Exactly Andy1231 which is why I asked the question. So if no-one can die, they now have living burnt bits of bodies, what are they going to do with them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    60 minutes during which almost nothing happened plot-wise.

Lets see, death was categorised, the moronic Americans forumlate some kind of random plan with no real direction which ultimately fails, one wanders around a corridor being elusive for no reason, two of them do nothing and one dies (probably)....and deservedly so for being stupid, provoking, then threatening, then, for good measure, insulting someone clearly under intense stress and pressure. Whatever happened to talking your way out of a situation then taking action once your clear of the obvious danger?

The whole Gwen side story is pointless, it adds nothing to the story progression and that was half the show.

4 shows in now (is it 4 or 5?) and we know almost nothing....because little has happened and nothing has really been revealed.

It's still an interresting plot, but it's frustrating to watch hour after hour and receive nothing for that investment. Makes it harder week on week to watch because I just know im not going to learn anything about the story.

It's Lost all over again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    As with many others on here? I was unsure what to make of that little lot; I Saw the Burning bit Miles away though not Who got caught up in it :eek:; I'm Not sure about Who is behind it all either but I think? That redheaded woman Gilly? has Something to do with it and is Closer to whoever Is doing all this than the brilliantly Acted penitent Mr Danes might think he is - Me? I think Danes is just a patsy to cover for the Real villains here & Yes I suspect there is indeed More than one of them; As to the 'Old' Jack that everyone complains about the absence of? Come on people!!! You know him - he did something similar in Torchwood; COE where he started off in an unbreakable prison, spent ages on the run and then Only came into his own by the end of it - I've a feeling 'Old Jack Harkness'? Is merely resting & dormant rather than a thing of the past and since That was Episode 5 of 10 and we're now officially into part 2 of the series (A point So significant they Split Dr Who at said Half-point this year) In view of That? Well Let's just say I think Old Jack may be back Very soon with a Bang :cool:. Sad to see Vera Juarez go but really? She made No sense - The others All have some technical/spying expertise - Regarding Miss Juarez? She is/was a Doctor with No other ahem 'experience' whatsoever; Think about it - What use would she have been at Old Torchwood? If Anyone was going to go as a sacrificial lamb This early in? It would have been Her & So it proved sadly - Just as we were all getting used to her as well..................:mad:

NB Anyone think that odd & rather sinister sounding man in the Blue Suit who tried to headhunt Miss Kitzinger Might be our first (Small) glimpse of one of those behind all this? :confused: Anyone also see a Mile off that Rex Will be the one to kill that mad Admin' bloke who killed Juarez? You can see That coming even now so predictable is it :rolleyes:. Also - regarding the question of Why fire? Simple - You need to be up on your legends & old-world Lore on this one but as I remember it? The Only way to kill the likes of Angels & Vampires is if not chopping their heads off (which Won't work here clearly) is? By fire you have to Burn the entire person until Nothing is left - Which is probably why rather than conventional oven engines they Looked like Plane Afterburners that produce an output 10 Times more powerful than normal flames.. On a final note? I believe the Charming (Not) Miss Kitzinger is a Little more involved in this than we all as yet know right now - I'll bet she was arranging on the phone at the start for Whoever threw that stuff at Oswald to make a swift visit to Category 1 & all the horrors That entails - I think to? That Someone is hunting/after Her to if the man in blue and the phonecall where she shouted about someone trying to 'get/contact' her were anything to go by; Should be interesting to see how it all pans out; Either way? Time will tell............;)
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would the governments actually do that?

Another thing, shouldn't there be at least a mention of the Doctor as there was in COE? I mean this is a world altering event with governments burning living people, child killers being praised and obviously friends on Earth of the Doctor being affected.
  • Options
    LittlemissmolzLittlemissmolz Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mega lolz. People have a problem suspending their disbelief that idiot Joe public could ever fall Im line behind a child killing messiah and yet immortailiry and aliens is like totally realistic. Duh
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not getting this Danes business, that speech was supposed to be what exactly? The music swelled, the crowd cheered, Capt Jack and PR lady looked amazed, but in reality the speech was a stumbling, barely coherent mess, that you'd be hard pushed to understand much less get excited about.
  • Options
    LittlemissmolzLittlemissmolz Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    Would the governments actually do that?

Another thing, shouldn't there be at least a mention of the Doctor as there was in COE? I mean this is a world altering event with governments burning living people, child killers being praised and obviously friends on Earth of the Doctor being affected.

Yes a government would do that.

And no the doctor doesn't need a mention. They pushed their luck with COE, to bring him up now would throw up ludicrous questions about his lack of intervention.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why could rex die instead of vera :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    - The others ALL have some technical/spying expertise - She is/was a Doctor What use would she have been at Old Torchwood? If ANYONE was going to go? It would have been Her & So it proved sadly...................

You do realise Owen was a doctor and he was a valuable part of the team.

Really unhappy to see Vera go, she was like my favourite character! I looked forward to see her every episode. :cry:
  • Options
    WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    All I am going to say is that Rex is now OFFICIALLY starting to get on my tits. BIG TIME!!!!

Shame that the lady Dr died - thought she was going to actually do something useful this week!!

Esther is cute, but still as effective as a wet fart in a windstorm.

Miss Kitzinger is in it right over her head, but doesn't know it!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mega lolz. People have a problem suspending their disbelief that idiot Joe public could ever fall Im line behind a child killing messiah and yet immortailiry and aliens is like totally realistic. Duh

Eh? So having consistent and believable characters isn't important if the plot has supernatural elements? Even if the writers are trying to make a point about society?