Are Rihanna and P!nk more iconic than Britney Spears?

Comments

• rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    That doesn't prove she's an icon. Jennifer Lopez was getting about 15 million as well, but she's not considered a bigger pop icon than Britney.

A comment in post I quoted said she isn't icon at this stage in her career, as if her career was over. But being paid $15m when those who do more in the role are paid a fraction of that proves that she's still a big enough star to still be considered an icon.

Of Topic slightly, I'd actually say J.Lo was more iconic than both Rihanna and P!nk as well. The name, the curves, Jenny From The Block are fairly well known, outwith her core fans, that make her a bigger part of pop culture.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    That doesn't prove she's an icon. Jennifer Lopez was getting about 15 million as well, but she's not considered a bigger pop icon than Britney.

It doesnt need to be proved. She is an icon without it needing defending from anybody.
  • rebellionrebellion Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL is this a serious question?
  • KissesDontLieKissesDontLie Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    I don't know why people are slating Rihanna, because she is iconic. She's the biggest and most successful black female artist to emerge from the noughties (Beyonce's from the 90s before anybody tries to bring her up). She also has a unique voice and has broken a lot of records.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rebellion wrote: »
    LOL is this a serious question?

It is and most agree regardless that she is ultimately more iconic.

Admittedly i am a big Britney fan and am under no illusion that she has a career in the vein of Madonna or that its going swimmingly for her post 07 but her impact as a pop culture Iconic cannot be rivalved by either whether you like her or not. she basically ruled between 1999-04 and can still muster decent sales and a sense of anticiaption not seen by either. Admittedly Pink sells more and has more credibility but i just don't think she ever was or ever will be as iconic as Britney. As for Rihanna well she has secured her place however long she may reign for.
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BS and beyonce are both millenium-era products, it's a bit disingenuous to say they're of the '90s' really. We already had 8-9 good years of that before they became big.

I think there's a bit of a knock on effect really - these two aren't really as iconic as MJ or Madonna from the 80s/90s, and likewise those coming up now won't be as iconic as Beyonce or BS.
  • Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why people are slating Rihanna, because she is iconic. She's the biggest and most successful black female artist to emerge from the noughties (Beyonce's from the 90s before anybody tries to bring her up). She also has a unique voice and has broken a lot of records.

What's colour got to do with it? And she's not ironic. Rihanna a sell out! Releases album year after year with no growth as a artist.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    umr3000 wrote: »
    In the last 15 years or so Britney Spears has single handedly led the way in the music industry as not only a pop phenomenon but a popular culture icon. Her status is now engraved..... love her or hate her you can't deny her!!

...and the music industry in currently in one of the lowest points it has ever been in.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No just no. I'm a huuuuuge pink fan but she's nowhere near an icon....and if rihanna didn't keep churning out albums every year people wud soon realise she aint that special and would on to the next thing. I can see someone like alexis jordan taking rihannas place quite soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most people would struggle to name 3 Britney songs, admittedly it's the same with the other two mentioned in the thread title as well - if that's a definition of icon thesedays....
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why people keep saying Rihanna releasing new albums each year makes her less iconic. The Beatles always released two, sometimes three, albums a year during their active years. Its a bit of a silly argument. If a market is there then it makes perfect sense to target it.

Rihanna has huge record sales. I think people play down her success because their faves aren't selling at the rate she is. Like Rihanna or not, you cannot deny her success.

Has Rihanna changed music culture? no she hasn't, but sales cannot be ignored. She is the biggest selling female artist of the last seven years and doesn't seem to be slowing down. You cannot take that away from her no matter how hard you try.
  • mkirilenkofanmkirilenkofan Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reem2011 wrote: »
    What's colour got to do with it? And she's not ironic. Rihanna a sell out! Releases album year after year with no growth as a artist.

And Britney has growed as an artist? She went from making Blackout to then making generic dance tracks/albums that are similar to Rihanna!!! Only Rihanna is having more success doing it!

And before you say I am a hater, I have bought all of Britneys albums and listen to them still to this day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think Britney's pretty rubbish
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    It is and most agree regardless that she is ultimately more iconic.

Admittedly i am a big Britney fan and am under no illusion that she has a career in the vein of Madonna or that its going swimmingly for her post 07 but her impact as a pop culture Iconic cannot be rivalved by either whether you like her or not. she basically ruled between 1999-04 and can still muster decent sales and a sense of anticiaption not seen by either. Admittedly Pink sells more and has more credibility but i just don't think she ever was or ever will be as iconic as Britney. As for Rihanna well she has secured her place however long she may reign for.

That's what I am saying. I cannot believe the question is being asked. Rihanna is VERY successful yes and is currently the biggest popstar in the world. Pink is amazingly talented and has some great music. But neither of them combined can touch the iconic status of BRITNEY!

Britney is the woman that;
    -Released Baby One More Time (enough said!)
    -Has the VMA moments (snake, Madonna kiss, 2007)
    -Is America's true sweetheart
    -Had a devastating breakdown and got back up
    -Released ICONIC videos that will always be remembered (BOMT, Toxic, Slave)

BRITNEY IS POP CULTURE!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think most people would struggle to name 3 Britney songs, admittedly it's the same with the other two mentioned in the thread title as well - if that's a definition of icon thesedays....

LOL! Maybe someone who lives under a rock. Everyone I know could at least name BOMT, Oops and Toxic!
  • Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Although I love Rihanna and P!nk, they just don't have that iconic status the Britney has.
  • Andrew_DuncanAndrew_Duncan Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see someone like alexis jordan taking rihannas place quite soon.

Please say that was a joke? Alexis Jordans music could be sung by anyone. There's nothing to it the bland music & in her interviews she seems boring. At least at the start of Rihanna's career she had the whole island girl sound & image to separate her from the crowd.
    I don't know why people keep saying Rihanna releasing new albums each year makes her less iconic. The Beatles always released two, sometimes three, albums a year during their active years. Its a bit of a silly argument. If a market is there then it makes perfect sense to target it.

Rihanna has huge record sales. I think people play down her success because their faves aren't selling at the rate she is. Like Rihanna or not, you cannot deny her success.

Has Rihanna changed music culture? no she hasn't, but sales cannot be ignored. She is the biggest selling female artist of the last seven years and doesn't seem to be slowing down. You cannot take that away from her no matter how hard you try.

AMEN! You just wrote down my thoughts.

Britney is iconic. It can't be denied. She's the pop princess of the 1999 & the 00's. Everyone knows who she is and could name & recognise one song of hers.

Rihanna, although not iconic yet is working her way up to that status & I truly believe one day she will be. I mean Umbrella is already an iconic song, everyone has heard it & knows it and also We Found Love to a lesser extent. Rihanna has a very impressive back catalogue & I have no doubt that it will grow. I see Britney as the next Madonna & Rihanna as the next Whitney(obviously her voice is far superior to Rihanna's though).

Pink. She's not iconic and probably never will be. She's a very odd artist in the respect that she's talented & credible and without a doubt one of best live performers of this generation however she isn't that 'famous'. She is hardly ever in mags/papers/on TV, she's hardly spoke about but yet she sells millions. It's very odd indeed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Britney has growed as an artist? She went from making Blackout to then making generic dance tracks/albums that are similar to Rihanna!!! Only Rihanna is having more success doing it!

And before you say I am a hater, I have bought all of Britneys albums and listen to them still to this day.

Your first statement is false. Britney just released a song that she wasn't even recognizable in and didn't even sing a whole verse and it went to number 1 in a day in the US. Rihanna can't say that. They both have the same number of albums, but only 1 of Britneys did not get a US number 1 and had to settle at number 2, whereas Rihanna got a number 1 album seven albums in. Even if Britney dropped a last minute album when Rihanna did, she would have had the number 1. That success is echoed world wide, so no, rihanna is not doing it more successfully than Britney and Britney doesn't have to pop out an album every year to do it.
  • Andrew_DuncanAndrew_Duncan Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Your first statement is false. Britney just released a song that she wasn't even recognizable in and didn't even sing a whole verse and it went to number 1 in a day in the US. Rihanna can't say that. They both have the same number of albums, but only 1 of Britneys did not get a US number 1 and had to settle at number 2, whereas Rihanna got a number 1 album seven albums in. Even if Britney dropped a last minute album when Rihanna did, she would have had the number 1. That success is echoed world wide, so no, rihanna is not doing it more successfully than Britney and Britney doesn't have to pop out an album every year to do it.

That's in the USA. Worldwide is a different story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    No Britney far more important
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's in the USA. Worldwide is a different story.

No it isn't. Rihanna has sold about 19.7 million albums worldwide. Britney has sold Anout 96.1 million albums worldwide if you check their discographies. Britney's first album alone shifted more copies that Rihanna's 7 combined and she is still maintaining multimillion selling albums world wide. I'm not even a Britney fan, but I recognize that she is a much bigger icon than Rihanna and is FAR more successful even today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    No it isn't. Rihanna has sold about 19.7 million albums worldwide. Britney has sold Anout 96.1 million albums worldwide if you check their discographies. Britney's first album alone shifted more copies that Rihanna's 7 combined and she is still maintaining multimillion selling albums world wide. I'm not even a Britney fan, but I recognize that she is a much bigger icon than Rihanna and is FAR more successful even today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

Actually they have both sold the same amount (both less than Dire Straits)!
  • FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Pink's in a league of her own, would go as far to say she's the modern female equivalent of someone like Prince. Just very underrated

Rihanna can only dream of becoming iconic, lets see how popular she'd be releasing albums between longer gaps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would sooner listen to the music from both pink and rhianna than i would from britney (not that i even like pink or rhianna) but i don't see there being really any question that britney is easily the more iconic. her "hit me baby one more time" video alone cements that. i've never even liked britney or thought her talented, but in her time she somehow created this type of ripple effect that took over everything as soon as she did something. toxic is another example. she'll forever be remembered.
    rhianna and pink are both extremely successful, but i don't think either of them will ever be remembered as having the same effect on pop culture as what britney has. successful, but not iconic...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fashion wrote: »
    Pink's in a league of her own, would go as far to say she's the modern female equivalent of someone like Prince. Just very underrated

Rihanna can only dream of becoming iconic, lets see how popular she'd be releasing albums between longer gaps.

Behave.