Cat clawed carpet under door. Can it a be stretched?

13»

Comments

• TissyTissy Posts: 45,747
    Forum Member
    Katana1000 wrote: »
    If he doesn't want the Cat, he should re-home it ASAP and him and his wife have serious thoughts about the impetuous impulsive nature of taking on a pet when their is a baby in the house.

Do you honestly believe his latest update for credibility that the Cat harmed his Baby when his original concern was for a scratched carpet ... seriously, if you look at this guys history of posting on DS you will find other odd stuff that does not add up.

Unsubscribing from thread now.

Yes - rather strange he puts his possessions like carpets and linen baskets before his concern for the baby :confused:
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,747
    Forum Member
    Mozitski wrote: »
    Oh my god, I love my cat even more now!

He does no such things, he never leaves the garden and most of the time he just sits next to the door or wonders to our neighbors garden for a couple of minutes. He always cuddles up to me when I'm in bed and is always good! :D

Sorry that your cat isn't like mine. ;)

Perhaps one gets the animal they deserve ;)
  • springtimeloverspringtimelover Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tissy wrote: »
    Yes - rather strange he puts his possessions like carpets and linen baskets before his concern for the baby :confused:

This thread is asking how to make good a carpet that a cat scratched and tore. Its not about how bad the cat is and what its done and how important one things is over another.

OP may well have mentioned about the baby in another thread as im sure the baby wasnt locked in with the cat and so it didnt happen at the same time.
  • springtimeloverspringtimelover Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps one gets the animal they deserve ;)

Lesson to all stupid people who think Awwwww they will love it once its here even though they know a person is not a animal lover.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've only had one cat who was a "ripper", and he destroyed a carpet near the door when he was shut into the room. The current batch haven't been too bad, although two of them are really outdoor cats anyway. House cat has a clawing mat, which he generally uses, and none of them has ever gone for the wallpaper, fortunately. I guess if you've got a "ripper", only thing you can do is to protect carpet edges, as suggested, provide alternatives for clawing, and discourage from ripping wallpaper with water spray. Once in a temper I threw a (very soft) slipper at our house cat (a Maine ****, who's remarkably inventive in his explorations, especially into gravity - the slipper didn't hit him!), and now I've just got to wave it at him and he gets the message, so they can learn.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your cat is starting to claw at settees or certain bits of furniture you can get double sided sticky strips to stick on. Cats don't like clawing at sticky things so soon learn, if you get these and get them a scratching post at the same time it may encourage them to leave the furniture alone.

They worked for my cat. I think I got them from betterware - they were only a few quid and after a couple of months they all came off and the cat had got out of the habit and left the settee alone.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your cat is starting to claw at settees or certain bits of furniture you can get double sided sticky strips to stick on. Cats don't like clawing at sticky things so soon learn, if you get these and get them a scratching post at the same time it may encourage them to leave the furniture alone.

They worked for my cat. I think I got them from betterware - they were only a few quid and after a couple of months they all came off and the cat had got out of the habit and left the settee alone.

:D
    Mental picture of cat stuck by paws to sofa!

For carpets, use a light carpet-type doormat, or a clear plastic mat designed to protect light carpets from heavy were. Stick it down to the carpet at the door with the ever-useful double-sided tape, with the mat running slightly under the door so the cat can't get at the edge, job done.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katana1000 wrote: »
    If he doesn't want the Cat, he should re-home it ASAP and him and his wife have serious thoughts about the impetuous impulsive nature of taking on a pet when their is a baby in the house.

Do you honestly believe his latest update for credibility that the Cat harmed his Baby when his original concern was for a scratched carpet ... seriously, if you look at this guys history of posting on DS you will find other odd stuff that does not add up.

Unsubscribing from thread now.

I don't know what your problem is but I didn't come on here to be judged or have my previous posting history scrutinised and personally I couldn't care less if you think i'm lying. Why would I lie? I didn't come on to ask advice about how to look after a cat I asked if a carpet could be restretched.

For your info I didn't take on a cat with a baby in the house, the cat was already here 4 years before my wife got pregnant. It wasn't a case of, i've just had a baby now lets get a cat and see whether they get on. Having a cat is a decision I regret but while it's here I have a duty to make sure it's fed and watered. I don't however have to like it. When the cat attacked the baby it wasn't left alone in a room. It jumped up on the sofa where my wife was giving him his bedtime milk and took a swipe at him for no reason. Anyway I shouldn't have to go around closing all the doors in my own home to keep animals out and stop it from destroying furniture and putting tape on furniture or spraying things on walls and having scratch posts on every corner just to avoid having my house torn to shreds. I've tried all this already and it hasn't made a blind bit of difference as he just finds somewhere else to scratch instead like the stair carpet or the wallpaper. I feel like i'm a prisoner to a stupid animal. And as my wife refuses to get rid of it there's not much else I can do about that.

Anyway i've managed to get a fitter in today to fix it for me so the answer to my original question was no, It couldn't be done. Instead he cut a piece from a spare bit of carpet and glued it in and regripped it which is something I couldn't have done myself without the expertise and the right tools. He only charged me £20 which wasn't even worth arguing about as he's made a cracking job and you can't even see the join. I had to ring about 8 people before I found one who was willing to do it for me as most people weren't interested in doing a small pocket money job but he was really nice and did a really neat job. I just hope it holds together.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can it a be stretched?
    No, unless it is a magic carpet
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't and nowhere did I say that I did. But the incident with my son happened a few months ago so it was hardly relevant to my current dilemma which was fixing the carpet. My son will always come first which is why I want the cat out altogether.

I posted to ask how to repair a carpet. I didn't post asking advice on how to deal with a naughty cat who had a go at my son. I just happened to mention this afterwards in the list of things he's done previously. I already know the answer and that is to keep my son away from the cat and make sure they are never in the same room together again as there's obviously some kind of jealousy thing going on and the cat is a bully. We used to have another cat but he bullied it out of the house. He would fight constantly and would wait at the cat flap to stop it from getting in so now it's gone to live with the old lady up the road. He wants to be top cat in this house and loves to make his mark but I think since the baby he's had his nose pushed out and he's feeling a bit jealous. I know what i'd do if it was up to me but it's not. My wife said it was the cat's home first so she won't get rid of it so there's nothing I can do. Personally I don't think a cat that's got a history of being a destructive bully that can't be trusted around a baby should be here but that's just my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I kept several cats when I am little, but I really didn't remember between the communication between us. Is it really care about the owner?