Deal or No Deal (No Spoilers — Part 21)

Comments

• david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone noticed the banker is changing the rules to make it harder to spank him? Box 23 and now "the button"

It will have been endemol that introduced the changes. No mischief from the banker there.
  • SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone noticed the banker is changing the rules to make it harder to spank him? Box 23 and now "the button"

Box23 and the offer button are aids to the players that in previous years they did not have. it is up to them whether they use them or not,although you would be well advised to use the offer button at some stage,if you have it. You are always free to reject the extra offer you are given.

After a player has dealt,the contents of Box23 really don't matter very much in working out whether or not you "spanked" the Banker,in fact,as I have said,whether or not you spanked the Banker is largely irrelevant. The game is over. All that matters is if you got a good few quid out your game,spanking or no spanking.

Here's an example.

Suppose the last two boxes are £100K and £35K. The Banker offers £65,000. I would probably take it. Technically you should go for it,you are betting £30K to win £35K,but it is not that much bigger than evens,and it is a lot to lose.

Now Noel opens the box. it is the £100K. Oh well,never mind. C'est la vie.

Then he offers Box23. Would I go for it? No,for two reasons. One,I don't want to suddenly find myself £65,000 worse off if it's Nothing. But the main reason I wouldn't go for it is that it's a bad bet,£65,000 at Box23 is only worth £60,500.

So before Noel opens the box and he says, "Should you have bought it", I'd think,no,I shouldn't,it's a bad bet. I would not be gutted if it was Double,and I would not be relieved if it was Nothing,because there was absolutely no way I would even have considered going for it with £65K. At that point I would in fact have absolutely no interest in the contents of Box23 at all.

He opens the box. It is Double. Had I bought it I would have spanked the Banker,because I would have won more than was in my box,or that I was offered during the game. As it was,I didn't spank him,because I won less than was in my box.

And when I was paying my cheque for £65,000 into the bank,would I be bothered that I didn't technically spank the Banker?

Not in the slightest.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Box23 and the offer button are aids to the players that in previous years they did not have. it is up to them whether they use them or not,although you would be well advised to use the offer button at some stage,if you have it. You are always free to reject the extra offer you are given.

After a player has dealt,the contents of Box23 really don't matter very much in working out whether or not you "spanked" the Banker,in fact,as I have said,whether or not you spanked the Banker is largely irrelevant. The game is over. All that matters is if you got a good few quid out your game,spanking or no spanking.

Here's an example.

Suppose the last two boxes are £100K and £35K. The Banker offers £65,000. I would probably take it. Technically you should go for it,you are betting £30K to win £35K,but it is not that much bigger than evens,and it is a lot to lose.

Now Noel opens the box. it is the £100K. Oh well,never mind. C'est la vie.

Then he offers Box23. Would I go for it? No,for two reasons. One,I don't want to suddenly find myself £65,000 worse off if it's Nothing. But the main reason I wouldn't go for it is that it's a bad bet,£65,000 at Box23 is only worth £60,500.

So before Noel opens the box and he says, "Should you have bought it", I'd think,no,I shouldn't,it's a bad bet. I would not be gutted if it was Double,and I would not be relieved if it was Nothing,because there was absolutely no way I would even have considered going for it with £65K. At that point I would in fact have absolutely no interest in the contents of Box23 at all.

He opens the box. It is Double. Had I bought it I would have spanked the Banker,because I would have won more than was in my box,or that I was offered during the game. As it was,I didn't spank him,because I won less than was in my box.

And when I was paying my cheque for £65,000 into the bank,would I be bothered that I didn't technically spank the Banker?

Not in the slightest.

We have seen the offer after pressing the button rejected more than once anyway.

At the end of the day It's up to you to judge whether it's best to accept the offer or carry on.

Noel's thought is you should be looking to press the button to get the most amount of money out of the game, but as we have already seen it is often better to complete the round than to accept the offer. Today was a clear example of a player who couldn't read the board properly and wasted the button using it before 5 box when there was 4 reds still on the board and she still had a chance of potentially winning £50,000. This won't be the last time we see the advantage of a player being able to press the button thrown away recklessly.

Pressing the button after you've revealed the quarter million in a post deal situation is worthless. All other offers from the banker are going to be lower anyway and only what's in your box when Noel opens it can be higher than what you dealt on. Pressing the button post deal is worthless full stop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    We have seen the offer after pressing the button rejected more than once anyway.

Pressing the button after you've revealed the quarter million in a post deal situation is worthless. All other offers from the banker are going to be lower anyway and only what's in your box when Noel opens it can be higher than what you dealt on. Pressing the button post deal is worthless full stop.

Pressing the button in any post deal situation is worthless,whether the quarter million is involved or not. You are pressing the button to get the Banker to make you a hypothetical offer that you are not going to be able to accept. As I said previously,the best think a player who has dealt and still has the offer button to use is to either press it immediately after the next box is opened,to get it out of the way,or do not press it at all. Probably best to press it immediately to get it out of the way,as,if you still have it to use,Noel will probably keep going on about it. "And if you'd been in live play,and you've still got the offer button..",and so on.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps if the player gets the offer button they should take it and put it somewhere like in front of one of the wings,or the big board that shows the remaining boxes,so that if they'd lost count of the boxes and were about to press it at the wrong time,one of the other players would have time to stop them. I mean I doubt the offer button's connected to anything,by a wire or something,it's basically just a prop. Then again it might be fixed to the table.

Also,if they did this,and had to physically walk over to it to press it,they would be less likely to press it impulsively at a time in the game,say at ten or seven boxes,when it probably isn't going to be much of a help.

I'm just thankful that Jan didn't have the nuclear button in front of her if she can behave so crazily! :o

It had to go down as one of the most idiotic actions on DOND ever. She effectively cost herself maybe up to twice as much as she took by her actions, as Noel stated it dropped the first offer after she pressed it by about £4,000 and the offer after that could have been even more.

I was very pleased that they did not wriggle out of it and give her a second chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I'm just thankful that Jan didn't have the nuclear button in front of her if she can behave so crazily! :o

Technically,in the US at least,it is the briefcase that is carried by a member of the White House staff,that carries the authentication codes to launch the missiles. it is colloquially known as The Football. The man who carries the Football has one duty,and one duty only,he must be near the President at all times,in case the missiles have to be launched. A problem can arise for the Football carrier if the President is incapacitated,as during the assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan.

There is an interesting wikipedia article on The Football.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technically,in the US at least,it is the briefcase that is carried by a member of the White House staff,that carries the authentication codes to launch the missiles. it is colloquially known as The Football. The man who carries the Football has one duty,and one duty only,he must be near the President at all times,in case the missiles have to be launched. A problem can arise for the Football carrier if the President is incapacitated,as during the assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan.

There is an interesting wikipedia article on The Football.

Yes, I know all that quite well. A simple button press it most certainly is not, thank God!
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The woman today who looked like she fell to the floor to pray.....I thought Muslims weren't allowed to gamble, or is DOND not seen as a gamble?

I thought Christians frowned on gambling, as they regard greed as a sin, but I've seen vicars playing the game. Having said that, I don't think DOND can really be classed as gambling.
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »

It had to go down as one of the most idiotic actions on DOND ever. She effectively cost herself maybe up to twice as much as she took by her actions, as Noel stated it dropped the first offer after she pressed it by about £4,000 and the offer after that could have been even more.

I was very pleased that they did not wriggle out of it and give her a second chance.

Noel wasn't best pleased given how much he was telling her off, and bet he brings it up in today's intro before he introduces the player

She got away with it but like yourself am glad they didn't do what they sometimes do when someone says no deal instead of deal and vice versa
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knock it off with the stupid "COME ON" every time a blue is found! >:(

For that round I'd offer £12,000 but he'll be in 4 figures probably so I'll go with £8,000 *roll eyes*

£6,500?!! Wings, are you stupid?! Just look at the board! >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Box 19 - Sayed - 1p :D
    Box 20 - Maggie - £1,000
    Box 11 - Mark - £10,000
    Box 7 - Bill - £100
    Box 6 - Ryan - £35,000

Blaine predicts £7,500

Actual offer - £8,000

NO DEAL

Offer button is in play
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh go away, I don't care for this magic nonsense! >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Box 12 - Krystle - £3,000

Denise is today's pilgrim of the day

Box 5 - Serena - £15,000
    Box 14 - Amir - £10

The banker says he will offer Blaine more if he is impressed with Blaine's magic trick

2nd offer - £12,000

NO DEAL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Blane, that is not a great offer.

£250,000 :(

Random Banker call for no reason >:(

£100,000 :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Box 4 - Pam - £250,000 :(
    Box 9 - Emily - £5
    Box 15 - Ross - £100,000

3rd offer - £4,000

NO DEAL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Box 10 - Holly - £75,000
    Box 13 - Leon - £20,000
    Box 3 - Malcolm - £250

4th offer - £1,800

NO DEAL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crap, not one of these games again! £75,000 AND £20,000 :(
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The blue button is starting to irritate me a lot now, it's mentioned all the time and how Noel tries to influence people using it or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Box 22 - Aimee - £750
    Box 2 - Sharman - 10p
    Box 16 - Wayne - £1

5th offer - £4,200

NO DEAL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Box 18 - Kelly (newbie) - £5,000
    Box 17 - William - 50p

Paul pushes the button

Next offer - £8,400

NO DEAL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £8,400 is good!

£16,800? DEAL NOW!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Box 21 - Evelyn - £50

Banker time with £500 and £50,000 left in the game

Closing offer - £16,800

DEAL

Box 1 - £50,000
    Box 8 - Tom - £500

Box 23 - NO DEAL
    Contents - DOUBLE
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps if the player gets the offer button they should take it and put it somewhere like in front of one of the wings,or the big board that shows the remaining boxes,so that if they'd lost count of the boxes and were about to press it at the wrong time,one of the other players would have time to stop them. I mean I doubt the offer button's connected to anything,by a wire or something,it's basically just a prop. Then again it might be fixed to the table.

Also,if they did this,and had to physically walk over to it to press it,they would be less likely to press it impulsively at a time in the game,say at ten or seven boxes,when it probably isn't going to be much of a help.

Your making it sound like its a complicated task to know when to use the offer button. It isn't. For a show that you have to audition for there must be better people than this applying to get on the show and not being successful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No show tomorrow (Sunday), due to live American football

Box choices for the Spook Squad specials are open :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Sunday shows are gone again as there is no show for next Sunday either. :confused:
This discussion has been closed.