Digital Stream DHR8203/8205U Software Update

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
If you have one of these Freeview HD PVRs you might want to be aware that a software update went online at the manufacturer's website - www.mitlondon.com/upgrade/- on 2 July. You will only need the "Tube 1" files (either as a zip or individual files) not the "Tube 2" set as this is for a Freeview HD TV. Unfortunately the DIgital Stream website is rather confusing and could be a lot clearer! (I've drawn this to their attention...)

In particular there is no explanation of what the update actually does and, in response to my enquiry, I received the following summary - full text follows, no editing:
The summary of software upgrade is as below,

1. Major improvements

A. 10-sec phantom recording solved

B. Trailer booking issue solved

C. EPG gathering and navigation speed improved

D. Solutions for several deadlocks such as deleting the recording files or copying files to root folder

E. Default sorting in Media is by Date.

F. Mute/Volume control in Media/EPG/Schedule/Menu

G. Service information display for recorded contents

H. Default for Timeshift Auto-Start is “Enabled”

I. Gray-out the list of unreachable services when two services from different MUXs are recording

J. 10minute early starting of a manual reservation

K. Intermittent no audio when doing 64x FF during playback

L. Alternate instance treatment of a series reservation

M. Trailer booking solved

N. EPG speed greatly improved

O. Enable/Disable wording corrected

P. Time Information corrected during chaseplayback

Q. Chase playback continues even after the current recording stopped

R. Repeat default to play once

S. Timeshift auto-start default to “Auto”

T. Title display on VFD is corrected

2. New features

A. Option for “Guidance Message Display” on/off (See Preference à Parental Control)

B. Option for “Play from Last Viewed / Play from Start” when playback recordings

C. Copying SD recordings to External HDD

i. You need a NEW HDD bigger than 160GB and need special formatting.

ii. This is for archiving only. PC Windows cannot recognize this special formatting.

iii. Multiple copying is supported.

iv. If you cancel copying during multiple file copy, the operation will be cancelled after completing the current file copy. Please wait until it finishes the current job. à This will be improved in the next release.

D. Transcoding from HE-AAC to DD is supported.

i. DD5.1 output only from S/PDIF when Preference à AV Setup à Dolby Digital is Enabled.

ii. HDMI output doesn’t support DD5.1

I'll add to this post as soon as I've had an opportunity to try the various options.

Comments