Windows 8 / 8.1 surly things could be easier?

167891012»

Comments

• Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Restorer wrote: »
    Yes, windows.old folder is there on mine.

EDIT: well I swear it was there yesterday but njow seems to have deleted itself!
    I did read a post at another forum a couple of days ago that said windows.old would delete itself after a few days so perhaps that is what has happened.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    By creating the recovery partition at the end of the C: drive it means I'm stuck with the C: drive being that size. If I needed to take space from what was the next partition (my documents and data partition) I can no longer do that.

http://www.partition-tool.com/product.htm

Just remember if you use it to move and resize partitions (which I have done recently) that it can take many hours to complete certain jobs, because of the huge amounts of data it sometimes needs to shift around. It works well for me but... it doesn't give progress indications good enough to let you accurately estimate the time to completion, so patience is required. Lots of it on terabyte sized drives.

And this kind of thing doesn't make you feel any better about an organization that seems to thrive these days on not providing its users with choices (in this case where to put the new partition).
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    http://www.partition-tool.com/product.htm

Just remember if you use it to move and resize partitions (which I have done recently) that it can take many hours to complete certain jobs, because of the huge amounts of data it sometimes needs to shift around. It works well for me but... it doesn't give progress indications good enough to let you accurately estimate the time to completion, so patience is required. Lots of it on terabyte sized drives.
    Thanks for the link.

I've used EaseUS Partition Master (the free version) in the past and might still have it somewhere on disk but before I even attempted to try and use it I think I'll take a Macrium Reflect image of the hard drive first in case it all goes wrong!
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I've used EaseUS Partition Master (the free version) in the past and might still have it somewhere on disk but before I even attempted to try and use it I think I'll take a Macrium Reflect image of the hard drive first in case it all goes wrong!

Absolutely! It can get quite scary when the "percentage complete" has frozen on 15% for 90 minutes! :eek:
  • cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot create an backup when using the -allcritical parameter. It tells me there is insufficient memory (0x8004231f).

I presume this is on the 260Mb EFI System partition as the other drives are circa 300Gb each and the install only 40Gb. The backup works without the -allcritical parameter but I read this will not restore without my recovery stick. I have no option to expand the EFI partition under Disk Management and I am loathe to start messing with system files.

Anyone else seen this and know of a solution?