Game install sizes

2»

Comments

• Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Won't work will it. The o/s is on the hard drive provided.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    smcbeath wrote: »
    I am more hoping that someone opens up the console and tries to install a 2tb hd. 4tb would be even better. I would quite happily break my warranty to do this. 500gb is not a digital future:p

External drives are just better anyway, there's so many more benefits to it.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi mate, Do you know if MS have plans to launch bigger HDD's for the Xbox one (now being called 'the 720' on some other forums :yawn:). Perhaps an official 1 or 2 TB HDD or bigger. With game install sizes being what they are, It won't take long to fill up a 500GB drive, with updates and dlc. Although I don't mind using external drives but it'll need to be a decent sized one, 3 or 4 TB would be useful :)

Youngest son would like an Xbox one for Xmas but we're hoping we can persuade him to hold off until the middle of next year lol
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi mate, Do you know if MS have plans to launch bigger HDD's for the Xbox one (now being called 'the 720' on some other forums :yawn:). Perhaps an official 1 or 2 TB HDD or bigger. With game install sizes being what they are, It won't take long to fill up a 500GB drive, with updates and dlc. Although I don't mind using external drives but it'll need to be a decent sized one, 3 or 4 TB would be useful :)

Youngest son would like an Xbox one for Xmas but we're hoping we can persuade him to hold off until the middle of next year lol

The internal HDD can't be upgraded!!! :(

The X1 uses USB3.0 iirc so just pickup a 2TB ext from Amazon!!! ... It'll cost ya about £100! :)

(It'll not work til Microsoft fire out the patch 1st tho!!!) :(
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    The internal HDD can't be upgraded!!! :(

The X1 uses USB3.0 iirc so just pickup a 2TB ext from Amazon!!! ... It'll cost ya about £100! :)

(It'll not work til Microsoft fire out the patch 1st tho!!!) :(

Ouch £100.00 seems a little pricey. I'm considering buying a caddy and making my own external HDD.
  • smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-3tb-d3-external-hard-drive-79-98-delivered-ebuyer-1705159?page=2#comments

I will wait till next year or when I am almost full before I invest in a usb hd.
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Show off.

When you live out in the sticks anything over 10Mb is considered fast.

I live 6 mile out side Doncaster and I only get 2.5 meg :(
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    Disagree.

Externals are less tidy in that you need extra cabling & extra space (Depending on size) & the XB1+Power brick is also pretty big.
    I've also had a few issues with external drives over the years, Had a 1Tb external drive wipe a load of data off itself last week, Had similar happen to a 320Gb in the past & had a 120gb 2.5" external die completely a few months back after I took it to a friends place. 1.5Tb 3.5" external thats hooked upto my PC has started making a clicking noise recently.

Don't really understand why MicroSoft opted not to make the internal upgradable.
    If its something to do with the OS needing to be on the drive then why not have it where you need to plug the new internal drive in as external storage 1st to format/prepare it before installing it into the system?

I myself would really prefer an internal option, Its a tidier option, Internals are from my experience less prone to failing & its just in my opinion a far better option with zero downside.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    Ouch £100.00 seems a little pricey. I'm considering buying a caddy and making my own external HDD.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Passport-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B007IA3S22/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=RR1MJWXBYCL0&coliid=I2RWV691XND8WS

(have 1 for my WiiU & will pickup another 4 my X1 when required! :) ... IF making 1 yourself is cheaper then by all means!! :cool:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    Can't see that being the final day one update. From what iv'e read, new updates are being released daily, so we could see a file a lot larger than that.

I'm happy to see some of the sizes a little bit smaller than i's hoped for. You could probably fit every launch title on a 500gb drive.

Just hope they patch in external drive support soon, so i don't have to worry about space.
    I'm not so sure on that.

They must be compressed, given DR3 is 19GB download but the retail requires 35GB. Forza is 31GB vs. 35GB and Ryse 34GB vs. 47GB.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    I'm not so sure on that.

They must be compressed, given DR3 is 19GB download but the retail requires 35GB. Forza is 31GB vs. 35GB and Ryse 34GB vs. 47GB.

I read something a while ago that said a console can use compressed data from a disc and uncompress it faster than if it was reading raw uncompressed data for the same actions. I presume similar will be true for reading from the HDD
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Disagree.

Externals are less tidy in that you need extra cabling & extra space (Depending on size) & the XB1+Power brick is also pretty big.
    I've also had a few issues with external drives over the years, Had a 1Tb external drive wipe a load of data off itself last week, Had similar happen to a 320Gb in the past & had a 120gb 2.5" external die completely a few months back after I took it to a friends place. 1.5Tb 3.5" external thats hooked upto my PC has started making a clicking noise recently.

Don't really understand why MicroSoft opted not to make the internal upgradable.
    If its something to do with the OS needing to be on the drive then why not have it where you need to plug the new internal drive in as external storage 1st to format/prepare it before installing it into the system?

I myself would really prefer an internal option, Its a tidier option, Internals are from my experience less prone to failing & its just in my opinion a far better option with zero downside.

Main advantages:

Portability (take your entire game library to your friends)
    Multiple storage devices
    Anything you buy is in addition, not replaced
    If they break down your OS is still safe.
    External back-up support for digital content

I use a 500gb HDD with my Wii and never had a single issue with it or any external HDD, not to say they can't break down.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    Main advantages:

Portability (take your entire game library to your friends)
    Multiple storage devices
    Anything you buy is in addition, not replaced
    If they break down your OS is still safe.
    External back-up support for digital content
    Fair points, However I would still prefer an internal upgrade option.

As silly as it may sound the lack of an upgradable internal drive is one of the things holding me back from rushing out to buy an XB1. Im waiting to see if there is going to be a 1tb+ internal option in the future.

I think the installing of games to external storage should be an option for those who prefer to do things that way & want to take advantage of any perceived advantages of using external.