Eggheads

Comments

• SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    That was a bit of a strange reason and it's difficult to see his though process. It shows the difference in question difficulty though, the challenger's equivalent question was "what is the most common last letter for continents"? :D

Tremendous Knowledge Dave shocked me with that one. His sport knowledge should have told that that Cairns is so far north they can play cricket there all year round. They have played a test match there in the Australian winter.
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Tremendous Knowledge Dave shocked me with that one. His sport knowledge should have told that that Cairns is so far north they can play cricket there all year round. They have played a test match there in the Australian winter.

I think every Egghead has at some point got a question wrong that a viewer has thought, 'That's so easy, how did they not know that?' It happened the other day with Kevin and a question about a line from the Christmas carol We Three Kings, which I think is something that pretty much everyone in this country knows. As they used to say on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?, a question is only easy if you know the answer.
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Good line up tonight, no CJ and no Lisa. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for some reason I love the way Max talks!
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    for some reason I love the way Max talks!

I was thinking exactly the same thing, he's got a very hypnotic voice and like Jeremy said, he'd have a good future in broadcasting.
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,247
    Forum Member
    It seems the louder and more obnoxious you are then the more likely you are to get on TV. .

Most viewers want to see loud extroverts on TV not quiet Introverts. Nearly all quiz show contestants are extroverted and loud.
  • katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be nice if some of Judith's poise and elegance rubbed off on Lisa but im not holding my breath
    Forum Member
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    Most viewers want to see loud extroverts on TV not quiet Introverts. Nearly all quiz show contestants are extroverted and loud.

Well in fairness, a lot of people who are more introverted may not be so motivated to want to go on television anyway. I don't think that most quiz show contestants are that loud (a few are), but you need to be slightly extroverted to want to go on a TV show, let alone one where your general knowledge will be pulled into question and you may end up looking stupid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Be nice if some of Judith's poise and elegance rubbed off on Lisa but im not holding my breath

Judith is not bothered about losing. Lisa doesn't have that luxury.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be the lone voice in the wilderness that likes Lisa then? Yes, the singing was a bit buttock clenching, but I like her spark and I think she's an interesting juxtaposition with the others, especially boring Barry and creepy Kevin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I must be the lone voice in the wilderness that likes Lisa then? Yes, the singing was a bit buttock clenching, but I like her spark and I think she's an interesting juxtaposition with the others, especially boring Barry and creepy Kevin.

Her singing was OK and I do not recognise your descriptions of Barry and Kevin.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Her singing was OK and I do not recognise your descriptions of Barry and Kevin.

That's how I see both of them. I appreciate not everyone will agree with that but that's the joy of an internet forum.

Kevin in particular strikes me as very brusque and cold.

I love Chris and Lisa and CJ is way too arrogant.
    Forum Member

I like her as well (I think that's obvious from my previous posts!). I don't agree with your assessments of the other Eggheads because I genuinely really like all of them, but I think Lisa is a good addition to the team. I like her spirit, and she's done well enough on other shows to be qualified to do it.

I've also felt that since Eggheads started, there has been a need for a younger woman to balance things out a bit more. In addition to being the only female Eggheads, Daphne and Judith were the oldest people on the team, and with the men there was more of a balance of ages. I did think Daisy Christodoulou or Rachael Neiman could fill that role, but Lisa does it for me.
  • Mozza111Mozza111 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Can't believe the Eggheads have lost the last 2 shows. However the questions they have had in the final round compared to the challengers have been absolutely ridiculous. No wonder they keep loosing.
    Forum Member
    Mozza111 wrote: »
    Can't believe the Eggheads have lost the last 2 shows. However the questions they have had in the final round compared to the challengers have been absolutely ridiculous. No wonder they keep loosing.

They should remove the multiple choice questions in the Final Round. It's too easy for the challengers to fluke a win by guessing their questions correctly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching just now, I wish that Dermot presented all the shows. Jeremy grates on me :-(
  • dachsedachse Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching just now, I wish that Dermot presented all the shows. Jeremy grates on me :-(

Funny how we are all different because I would say exactly the opposite. I much prefer Jeremy.
    Forum Member
    They should remove the multiple choice questions in the Final Round. It's too easy for the challengers to fluke a win by guessing their questions correctly.

But the Eggheads get multiple-choice as well. The challengers can guess a multiple-choice question correctly, but it's not an advantage if the Eggheads can also do that, and their guesses are likely to be more educated than simply picking a random option.
    Forum Member
    The Eggheads know most of the answers anyway, or if they don't, they can select two or three possible answers, so it's not going to make any difference to them whether it's mutiple choice or not.

But to a single player, who has no idea what the answer is, they still have a 1 in 3 chance of getting it right. That makes it a lot easier.

Taking away multiple choice removes the element of luck and favours the superior quizzer/ quizzers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Eggheads know most of the answers anyway, or if they don't, they can select two or three possible answers, so it's not going to make any difference to them whether it's mutiple choice or not.

But to a single player, who has no idea what the answer is, they still have a 1 in 3 chance of getting it right. That makes it a lot easier.

Taking away multiple choice removes the element of luck and favours the superior quizzer/ quizzers.

If they get to sudden death the Egghead usually win.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Vine is the reason I've given up watching the show. I record '15-1' now and just forward through all the chatter.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes but you need a certain element of luck or the Eggheads would win every time. Also this is an entertainment show and having multiple choice can make it more entertaining for the viewer.
  • Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dachse wrote: »
    Funny how we are all different because I would say exactly the opposite. I much prefer Jeremy.

Same here - much prefer Jeremy Vine as question master.
  • Leanne_Blake1Leanne_Blake1 Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand CJ and his eye rolling.
    Forum Member
    I think that Kevin has a bit of a weakness on song lyrics. He has recently got two questions wrong about the lyrics to songs that I think are quite commonly known (the Christmas carol We Three Kings and A Spoonful Of Sugar from Mary Poppins). Interesting - the man doesn't have many quizzing blind spots, but this may be one of them. It's commonly known that his revision tactic is learning and memorising a lot of lists (which is how he almost always knows the dates of people's births and deaths) so I suppose lyrics don't really come up in lists that much.