Fragranced Candles - alternative to Yankee

Comments

• Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    capital letter Mummy eh? :rolleyes:

Glowbot, what exactly is your problem???
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member

Give it up Glowbot ,. you are just looking silly
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

A Proper noun does have a capital.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get proper, expensive scented candles at reduced prices in TK Maxx, my Agnes bulk buys once a month. Helps to stem the reek of silage, dung and other farm smells, our cottage smells like Paris in Springtime.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    A Proper noun does have a capital.

Pedantic grammar Nazi time here, but no, it doesn't always. For example: My mother is ill. And: I'm looking forward to becoming a mother. But 'Are you feeling ill, Mother?'

But on to a more interesting issue. What the hell is Glowbot's problem?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Pedantic grammar Nazi time here, but no, it doesn't always. For example: My mother is ill. And: I'm looking forward to becoming a mother. But 'Are you feeling ill, Mother?'

But on to a more interesting issue. What the hell is Glowbot's problem?

I think it's the powersaving bulbs. They don't make the bot glow as brightly. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    LUSH don't use chemicals, they use all natural ingredients.

I think you speak for yourself when it's comes to "visiting other peoples houses" and the smell of candles. I like the smell from most scented candles as do many of my friends.

I doubt he's invited to many people's houses to know.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's the powersaving bulbs. They don't make the bot glow as brightly. :p
    don't even get me started on energy saving lightbulbs.:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :d:d:d

don't even get me started on energy saving emoticons! ^ :mad:
  • Options
    angel.vampangel.vamp Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    check out your local asda , they may have some yankee candles mine does. You can get the samplers and the tarts for £1 and I am sure the jars are about £8.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I wanted to buy some candles that make the room smell nice (sick of plug in air freshener etc..)

I have had Yankee candles recommended to me but they are so expensive?

Any alternatives or are they the best?

TIA

Guess you don't like joss sticks that what I burn.
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with another poster, Yankee candles really are worth the money. The entire wax candle is scented, not just the outer, which is why the aroma lasts until the candle is finished. Also, as soon as the wick is lit, the scent is emitted. QVC offers good prices on Yankee. Always ensure the wick is trimmed to enable an even burn. Prices candles are ok. But the cheap ones, and the ones which are packaged to look like Yankee, I would consider a waste of money. Depends what your priorities are; I have two big boxers and use my candles daily. Some people may not want to spend a premium on candles, which is individual choice. Compare : large jars are £19.99 each on the high street; on QVC, although postage is £5.95, some sets of 3 large jars are under £40, so it's a huge saving.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want an alternative to candles why not try an electric vapouriser or oil burner with essential or perfumed oils? they tend to last alot longer than candles because you only need to use 3-4 drops to scent a room.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, apart from Glowbot :D

Who would have thought scented candles could be such a contentious issue?? Only on DS hey.
  • Options
    AnnieAppleAnnieApple Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Another yankee fan here - Black Cherry and Midnight Jasmine are my favourite. If you want the cheaper option try a burner and the tarts you can pick them up quite quite cheaply and try out some fragrances.

I managed to get some at 50% off in House of Fraser and Debenhams last week - so you can get them cheaper if you're looking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i bought a salted caramel one today..i lit it tonight whilst watching some dvd's and it smelt like caramelized apple crumble, and was making me hungry :D
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asda does a Yankee candle under a different ame something like Home style. The jars have a different shaped lid and they are about £10 I think. They are made by Yankee.

Yankee do a candle scent of the month and they have 25% off so it may be worth keeping an eye out for them.
    Make sure you keep the wick trimmed for even burning.
    If you buy the huge jars don't light it unless you will be burning it for three hours or more otherwise you will not get an even burn and it will start to dip in the middle and won't burn easily.
    If you don't plan on burning so long get small or medium jars.

You can also get shade and diffusers to go across the top of the candle as you burn them.
    I have found they make a huge difference.
    The candle do smoke, some more than others and the soot can stain your ceiling. The shades help capture some of this.
    I find the diffusers help the candle burn level.

As you can tell, I like my candles, not to mask any smells but because I like candlelight and ambiance they provide on dark nights.
    I have tried lots of different makes but always return to Yankee.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Get a oil burner with some fragrance oils.

this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    oohh im so into these yankee's :D

got one on now, i think it was summer scoop..yummy smells lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I love Yankee Candles. I have waaaay too many, but I love them! (I actually have a dedicated 'Yankee cupboard' :D ) I have the cherries on snow double wick burning at the moment, it's my fave! I find the actual tarts and burners give off a stronger throw of scent tho - but ahhhhhh, I luuuurve them ^_^
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    LUSH don't use chemicals, they use all natural ingredients.

I think you speak for yourself when it's comes to "visiting other peoples houses" and the smell of candles. I like the smell from most scented candles as do many of my friends.

I love the smell of scented candles but then I absolutely love the smell of LUSH. I make sure my en suite is full of Lush and I soak up the smell

Thanks for the thread OP, I've now gone into the link and ordered £60 worth of candles I don't need :(

;)
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    Another Yankee candle lover here; I wouldn't even consider buying another brand. I always buy a few at Christmas and they last all year. They are excellent value and the smell is out of this world. You can get good deals on QVC and they also have easy pay options if needed.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can any of you Yankee folks recommend a good Christmassy smelling one, cinnamon based if poss.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got an airsick scented candle that lives on the shelf next to the lamp and starts smelling once the lamp has been on for a while :D
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    Can any of you Yankee folks recommend a good Christmassy smelling one, cinnamon based if poss.

There's a 'cinnamon roll' candle in the Yankee range. I love it so much I bought 2 back in my suitcase from America!