Was that task in bad taste?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should have pushed it further and done something really out there!
  • sunstonesunstone Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SterlingD wrote: »
    I think they should have pushed it further and done something really out there!
    Exorcism!! Oh but Caroline had left already,they missed a trick there:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I think it was in bad taste. BB jumps on any housemate who discusses the practices or habits of any other nationality other than British.
    So why then is it OK for them to mock the Catholic church? It does seem very hypocritical of BB.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I jumped a bit when I saw the confessional and the exact replica of the screen, but then I thought it is a good thing to show the very real benefits of confessing and surely Catholics should be proud that their religion has been shown to have a sensible way of dealing with tensions in the community.

And surely the reactions of FMs to the HMs this year show that a little bit of spiritual guidance works wonders - Deana and Adam for instance both have their guiding frameworks whereas some of the outsiders seem a bit adrift in secular space.
  • JennylooJennyloo Posts: 14,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never even thought anything about it in an anti Catholic way. Infact I thought it was impressive that the Hmts took it seriously and confessed to things they might never have done normally.
  • Saffron787Saffron787 Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a Catholic but I must admit to feeling uncomfortable with that task. In childhood I had friends who feared the confessional and I know held it in great respect and that came to mind when I watched it. I did wonder how devout Catholics would feel about a central part of their faith being used in this way. I wonder if the next task will involve mats???:eek:
  • Saffron787Saffron787 Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sunstone wrote: »
    Exorcism!! Oh but Caroline had left already,they missed a trick there:D

just spat coffee on mi keyboard :D:D:D:D:D
  • Flight815-23DFlight815-23D Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    They didn't use any of the sacrament, they didn't mock the priesthood, and they didn't assign any real Acts in the confessional. They didn't even have a real person in the box - just a shadow that nodded, but its lips never moved when it "spoke". There wasn't even anything specifically Catholic about it, aside from calling it a confessional, but Catholicism doesn't have a monopoly on that concept.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't use any of the sacrament, they didn't mock the priesthood, and they didn't assign any real Acts in the confessional. They didn't even have a real person in the box - just a shadow that nodded, but its lips never moved when it "spoke". There wasn't even anything specifically Catholic about it, aside from calling it a confessional, but Catholicism doesn't have a monopoly on that concept.

That really isn't true. They had obviously been given a particular wording to use before their 'confessions' which bore some resemblance to the RC wording. The inside of the box, including the screen & 'nodding shadow' would be recognisable to all catholics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    I'm a catholic, thought the task was a bit odd. Didn't think it was right, was almost as though they made a mockery of it.. Oh well!! Onwards and upwards!
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a little wobble about it at the beginning - but there wasn't anything offensive about it.
    bluffcreek wrote: »
    why must you people always make an issue of EVERYTHING?
    It was a fun task...that's it.

.............'you people', on the other hand.................
    adwalton wrote: »
    What seemd odd to me was the music they played throught each confession. Sounded Jewish to me. Anyone know what it was?

I thought the music was supposed to be Godfather-y, no?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Jiminy Christmas, do people still take religion seriously in this day and age?
  • lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no religion or faith, but even I thought that the task was unnecessary.
    Why screen such a pointless task even if there is a small chance of offending those of the Catholic faith?

It's not as if it was hugely entertaining. IMO one of the endless drawn out and boring fillers for the HL show......oh and of course another contrived situation to show the Outsiders and Conor in particular in a repentant haze in order to narrow the divide in the house and drum up some voting revenue.

The whole thing was a thinly veiled attempt at manipulating the edit and to mimic religion in order to do it was badly judged and in poor taste IMO, but I have come to expect nothing else from the untalented production team of this BB.