Options

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Thread (Part 12)

Comments

• Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    Someone like Pochettino doesn't come along very often and he will go on to become one of the best in Europe. And there lies the problem for Spurs. Good, young successful managers are in demand just like players and Spurs could find themselves in the same position as Saints if he is successful after one season. At the moment he is a bit of an enigma. I think he will take Spurs to the next level and there is a very good opportunity next season for his team to finish 4th or even 3rd. Why Not? Man City and Chelsea will take the first two places after that it's up for grabs. Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton and Man Utd are all vulnerable and the law of averages must mean the signs are looking good for Spurs. I am going to put £20 on Spurs finishing 3rd.

:o

You lot will never learn
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOSG wrote: »
    :o

You lot will never learn

One overly optimistic fan doesn't represent "us lot" :)

Most of us are realistic enough to know that any success next season will be a huge bonus. It's the season after next that will be the acid test - if he's still in a job by then of course !
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One overly optimistic fan doesn't represent "us lot" :)

LOL:D I have a soft spot for Spurs going back to the 70's but I wouldn't say I was one of "you lot" but I do like a bet.:D:p

I bet Levy knows he only has Poch for a short time (before a bigger club comes calling) and he hasn't chosen MP and his staff just to wait two seasons for CL football. As a gambling man I reckon Levy and MP expects CL football in season 1.
    I predict - 1. Chelsea. 2. Man City. 3. Spurs. 4. Liverpool
    £20 on spurs to finish 3rd looks a good bet.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I'm not getting my hopes up re. cherry picking Southampton's best players, it is just not going to happen. We might land one but that will be it as there are other teams who will smply out bid us and the players are more likely to opt for a top 4 team or Utd over us.

Will be interesting to see who Pochettino rates from our squad and I'm sure some will fall by the wayside purely because they can't cope with his intensive training regime. From what I have read the Southampton players go home after training and just want to sleep!

I think your are correct. The idea that a large raft of players are likely to follow Poch out of Southampton to Spurs is wide of the mark. Poch was only manager for 18 months and while the players got on with him I don't think they have any loyalty to him. Certainly not to choose Spurs over the sort of clubs that have been coming in for Shaw to Man Utd, Lallana likely Liverpool plus they are not really the players Spurs need either it is a striker. Lambert maybe an option but I cannot see Spurs going for him looking for someone a bit more high profile.

I can also see a lot the Spurs players struggling with Poch's style of play at least based on last season. It will take them a while to get used to the style and their are a number of players I cannot see doing at all EMMANUEL ADEBAYOR, YOUNES KABOUL, AARON LENNON. Still they may surprize it will be interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think i like this Affuso fella :D
    Speaking about the appointment, Emilio Affuso, Parma’s chief scout, feels that the North London club have made the deal of the year by appointing the Argentine.

Baldini has pulled off the coup of the year. I’ve lived in England for a few months and I follow British football closely. Pochettino coupled with Baldini is worth the same as (Louis) van Gaal or (Manuel) Pellegrini,” said Affuso.

"He is the technician who, last season, impressed more than anyone. Southampton played modern football effectively. Tottenham finally have a real manager after the last sad experience,” Affuso went on to say in an interview with Tutto Mercato Web

http://www.footballdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/50553-spurs-have-pulled-off-coup-of-the-year.php
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feckit wrote: »

I bet Levy knows he only has Poch for a short time (before a bigger club comes calling)

I'm confused as to why your think a manager that has never led a team to finish higher than 8th is the best thing since sliced bread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The intruiging thing is that there seems to be a lot of opinion floating around that this could be Levy's last chance saloon as well, with Lewis not happy that he keeps sacking managers and not allowing anyone time to build anything.

Obviously it could just be conjecture and speculation but who knows ?

Maybe the five year deal is an indication of the fact he's going to be given time ?
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pochettino is highly thought of in the football world, which means he is recognised for his approach to coaching, which has shown potential to achieve more with the right club. Levy is hoping he will be another Brendan Rodgers and get the team playing to it's full potential. Obviously only time will tell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The intruiging thing is that there seems to be a lot of opinion floating around that this could be Levy's last chance saloon as well, with Lewis not happy that he keeps sacking managers and not allowing anyone time to build anything.

Obviously it could just be conjecture and speculation but who knows ?

Maybe the five year deal is an indication of the fact he's going to be given time ?
    The joke going around is that we are going for 'la decima' of managers. Certainly our manager turnover is reflecting on Levy himself now and if he sacks Poch within a year, then the media will crucify him. Perversely we might find Levy deliberately keeping the manager on now despite a run of really bad results
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOSG wrote: »
    I'm confused as to why your think a manager that has never led a team to finish higher than 8th is the best thing since sliced bread.

It's simple really. As a follower of football in general and a betting man I have read up on Potch and like what I see and read. He had Southampton playing some great football last season and the man is ambitious. Apparently he has no life outside of football and is the first in the training ground in the morning and the last to leave plus his training methods are brutal but the Saints players loved it. I like a gamble and for me Spurs are good odds and they have to fulfill their potential sometime so I am betting on them and MP next season.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    The joke going around is that we are going for 'la decima' of managers. Certainly our manager turnover is reflecting on Levy himself now and if he sacks Poch within a year, then the media will crucify him. Perversely we might find Levy deliberately keeping the manager on now despite a run of really bad results

True. I was reading earlier that he asked for assurances he wouldn't be sacked if we didn't make the top 4 next season and apparently received those, so if that's true it's a good thing as the pressure will be off.

Obviously doesn't mean it won't happen the season after though :D

Found this in the Evening Standard which was interesting. Apparently it claims we only paid £13m up front for Soldado with the rest of the fee being made up of add-ons so if he does leave, we'd only want what we paid for him.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-set-to-cash-in-on-flop-roberto-soldado-as-spurs-target-loic-remy-and-jay-rodriguez-9452327.html

I've read a few stories this morning that suggest he's willing to take a pay cut just to leave as well. I'll be sorry to see him go if he does, but i guess i'll understand why.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    I'm feeling oddly relaxed; the managerial thing is sorted, there's no will-he-won't-he about our best player leaving, and we already have a decent squad that just needs a tweak or three. And it's not yet June!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    I'm feeling oddly relaxed; the managerial thing is sorted, there's no will-he-won't-he about our best player leaving, and we already have a decent squad that just needs a tweak or three. And it's not yet June!

Now you say it like that, it does feel kind of weird ... something is bound to go wrong!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It may not. Maybe.

I also love the idea we may not lose a fortune on Soldado. Levy might be rubbish at some aspects of football when when it comes to deal-making ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting potential commentator crisis: Lamela/Lallana.

Unfortunatley, Lallana will more likley go to Liverpool, while the Metro is saying we want to sell Lamela for £20 mill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're speculating on Eto'o to Ars*nal as well which actually could do us a favour if it meant Loic Remy came to us instead. Although Remy would likely only be a one season wonder if we didn't qualify for the CL as he'd almost certainly engineer a move away.
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    It would be a massive mistake to sell any of the 7 high priced signings from last summer.

I would have thought part of the Brief for the new man to make it work with what we have have a small pot for new signings and generate the rest through other sales.

I personally think we bought great talent last summer & a season bedding in will benefit them all.

I'm optimist but realistic top 6 and a tilt at the Europa Lge and domestic cups.
    Remember that Europa winners get a champions Lge place.
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The papers are simply speculating about who will be bought and sold much like the rest of us. I doubt any of them really have any firm "inside" information and probably get their info from various fan sites and twitter gossip.

An educated guess by me is that Pochettino probably already has a dossier on our squad and each players' relative strengths and weaknesses. It's something practically all the EPL Clubs do these days. I imagine he will be going through his dossier with his Coaches deciding who will most likely adapt to his preferred system without much effort, who will probably need intensive coaching and those he thinks unlikely or unsuitable to play his system.

Whilst doing the above I am sure also that he will have given Baldini a few names to check to gauge their interest in moving to us. Similarly, Baldini will, no doubt, also have had a list of names of potential targets that he will want Pochettino's opinions on. It was interesting to note that Baldini flew to Barcelona a couple of days ago most likely to talk about potential inward and outward deals.

Ultimately, I doubt very much that anyone will be sold this side of the World Cup unless the Club receives an offer deemed too good to turn down for a player that Pochettino has already earmarked as replaceable.

Furthermore, I very much doubt that Levy and/or Baldini will sanction the sale of Lamela as he is potentially a huge prospect that if he comes good (as most predict he will) could net the Club another huge transfer fee at some point in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    ...Ultimately, I doubt very much that anyone will be sold this side of the World Cup unless the Club receives an offer deemed too good to turn down for a player that Pochettino has already earmarked as replaceable...
    Yes, I expect the usual musical chairs will have a delayed start. Though we have been linked with a few players, it has not been at the same noticeable level as usual after the end of the season. With FFP rules in place many clubs are going to be cautious with their spending with more emphasis on selling to have funds available to bring in new players.

Still, it would be good to clear the decks of some of the excess fringe players in advance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been reading that Lamela has started very early pre-season training. Apparently River Plate's youth team train throughout the summer and he's gone to join them with some of our coaches and will be in regular touch with the club.

It's said he'll report back for proper pre-season a week before everyone else as well.

I suppose you could argue that if we were planning to sell him, we need him fully fit first, but i'd like to think it's an indicator that we do plan on keeping him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest gossip from those who know is that we have no intention of accepting any offers for Lloris and none have been tabled. However, none of us know the terms of Lloris' s contract and it may have a proviso that if a bid of more than £x amount is received he reserves the right to be informed and the option to talk to the Club involved. Hopefully not, but you never know.

On Baldini's future the gossip is he's definitely staying with us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Liverpool have, in effect, set a precedent with those types of contracts by refusing to allow Suarez to speak to Ars*nal when they £1 over the 'release' amount.

We really do need to move heaven and earth to keep Lloris happy so he has no desire to leave i think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    I'm with you there, we have to give Pochettino every chance now the club has chosen him. A few carefully chosen incomings and some of the current players getting back to fitness and form, would put us in very good shape for next season. Looking forward to seeing his first team sheet already!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As expected Tony Parks has left the Club. First of a few changes involving the backroom staff. It's thought Freund will be kept and take over Sherwood's old role of overseeing the development squad. Ferdinand and Ramsey also likely to depart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was half expecting Sir Les to join West Ham as their 'attacking coach' but that role seems to have gone to Teddy Sheringham.
This discussion has been closed.