Big pharma has an interest in rich people being sick

2»

Comments

• Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, not near as much as they make from not finding a cure. Have you seen all the drugs a cancer patent has. Bags and bags of it the people I have known.

But it won't work like that.

Cure cancer and move onto the next set of illnesses that kill people because they are no longer dying of cancer.

There are lots and lots of people and lots and lots of things that will kill you.
    No danger of the pharma companies losing custom.
  • amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Have you told your doctor what the pharmacy told you?

Yes I have, they told me to ignore them.

I have also, by one particular Dr been prescribed huge does of two medications which combined are lethal, my pharmacist said on no account would they ever give me the two together (they are very good actually) and said I would be hard pressed to find someone who would. There are documented cases where people have died with the two together.
    The Dr said to take it so I went back to my GP and told them and they said I should give it a try too.

I have long ago lost faith in the care I am being provided with.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    about 15 years ago my brother in law said that acceptable adult cholestrol levels will be lowered .He maintains the drug companies would find reason ( via research ) to inform us all that we need to keep our levels under 5 .Low and behold its now come true with doctors telling us that no longer is under 5.5 acceptable . Almost every adult I know is now on statins
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    Think about it this way, a cure is better and more desirable than a 'coping' drug, yes?

So the cure is going to be worth far more than drugs that make the disease more bearable. If you can take a drug that is going to save your life, it is priceless to you, but a huge money maker for a drugs company.

If for arguments sake they can charge £100 a pill for a cure (because it is more desirable) or £10 a pill for a pill that eases symptoms of chemo. What are they going to want to sell. People aren't going to stop getting cancer, but if you hold the monopoly on them beating it, you can essentially charge whatever the hell you want.

If big pharma wants to keep people sick, why have cures been made?

They only get that £100 once. They get the £10 every mth. for how long it takes to kill or cure. times that by how many different pills that person would have every mth.

How many cures are found though? Im not really talking about cancer anyway. Im talking about the spiral of drugs you get onto when a lot of the time , if they had said. Try eliminating "this food" from your diet and lets see.

That pill gave me this, oh try this, ok, now I not only have this, I have that as well, try this pill, or up the dose of the other one, on and on it goes.

No finding the root cause, but trying to mask the symptoms with pills, that give you other symptoms. Its sometimes never ending.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    about 15 years ago my brother in law said that acceptable adult cholestrol levels will be lowered .He maintains the drug companies would find reason ( via research ) to inform us all that we need to keep our levels under 5 .Low and behold its now come true with doctors telling us that no longer is under 5.5 acceptable . Almost every adult I know is now on statins

And all the problems they themselves cause needing even more pills. This is after they have realised the lies about fat in your diet.

My son is fit and healthy. But suffers from White coat syndrome, They tried to put him onto statins just for that one visit a year he might have to see a GP and his PB is a tiny bit higher :confused:
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is your opinion on this?

Its a non-story to me, people have known it for a while
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Does this big pharma drive a big tractor? Just curious.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    They only get that £100 once. They get the £10 every mth. for how long it takes to kill or cure. times that by how many different pills that person would have every mth.

How many cures are found though? Im not really talking about cancer anyway. Im talking about the spiral of drugs you get onto when a lot of the time , if they had said. Try eliminating "this food" from your diet and lets see.

That pill gave me this, oh try this, ok, now I not only have this, I have that as well, try this pill, or up the dose of the other one, on and on it goes.

No finding the root cause, but trying to mask the symptoms with pills, that give you other symptoms. Its sometimes never ending.

Which is why I think prevention is something to be pushed more. A lot of illnesses can be prevented or managed with a better lifestyle, but ultimately somethings can only be cured/prevented with drugs - smallpox for example. One vaccine practically eradicates a disease.

I think good medical practice is drug therapy (if needed) alongside other non-drug treatments. Diabetes for example, insulin plus lifestyle changes.

I don't think drugs are the answer to everything and I do think there is a tendency to hand them pout like sweets, especially if the Dr is receiving an incentive to do so. But I also accept they do have a place and some very serious diseases have been majorly helped and cured by them.