Options

Anyone else find the way Michelle talks about gay people cringeworthy?

Comments

• Options
    peonypotpeonypot Posts: 2,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there viewers of RuPauls drag race on her here? Its a huge favourite in my house and to be fair she IS treated like royalty amoungst the drag queens.
    She is actually coming across better in CBB than I thought, I find her quite cold on RPDR.
  • Options
    Jake2008Jake2008 Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even as a straight man it annoys me how she constantly makes herself this advocate for gay people and I can imagine how frustrating it must be as a gay man constantly hearing her
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She should just content herself with advocating equality and not saying she represents anyone.
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I agree. I really liked her at first but I'm finding her being self appointed spokeswoman for an entire community rather tiresome now.

God, it;s really hard to like anyone in that house isn't it?

That's what BB and CBB seem to be like these days, unfortunately. (Pretty much since the move to C5, but getting worse as time went on.)
    Laika wrote: »
    Is Kav gay? Surely he's doing more for the gay community by being normal (bar his weird drunken "I'm going to take you down Cheggers" rant). Michelle just harps on about all the issues she needs to represent every 5 minutes.

I don't see how Kav can do anything for the gay community unless people know he's gay, though.
  • Options
    Ms Ann ThropeMs Ann Thrope Posts: 7,213
    Forum Member
    Maybe here in the UK we are more tolerant and accepting of homosexuality than they are in the US where there's such a strong macho culture around being a straight man? Americans do tend to (jokingly?) stereotype British men in general as gay, but from our point of view in the eyes of the majority straight culture, being gay isn't that big a deal nowadays. Although obviously there are still pockets of homophobia, most decent thinking people accept it completely.

I know we are always saying where America goes we follow, but I think in terms of accepting people's difference, we are way ahead, and maybe there is a real need for a Michelle in the US that just seems odd to us here? Or maybe she's just an egomaniac.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    jackol wrote: »
    What about her husband?
    Exactly what i thought. I neither like or dislike her but this whole Gay thing is becoming boring.
    People are PEOPLE not labels !!!
    Gay should not be an issue but she seems hell bent on bringing it into the limelight every chance she gets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe here in the UK we are more tolerant and accepting of homosexuality than they are in the US where there's such a strong macho culture around being a straight man? Americans do tend to (jokingly?) stereotype British men in general as gay, but from our point of view in the eyes of the majority straight culture, being gay isn't that big a deal nowadays. Although obviously there are still pockets of homophobia, most decent thinking people accept it completely.

I know we are always saying where America goes we follow, but I think in terms of accepting people's difference, we are way ahead, and maybe there is a real need for a Michelle in the US that just seems odd to us here? Or maybe she's just an egomaniac.

America is a very diverse place. I think that is often greatly underestimated here. It might even be less misleading, for some purposes, to think of it as a cluster of different countries that happen to have very odd-shaped boundaries than as one place that falls under generalisations about being more or less tolerant than the UK.

Same-sex marriage only recently became legal in the UK, and there was considerable (though minority) opposition.

The situation in the US is complicated, because individual states can have different laws in that area. The first state to legalise same-sex marriage was Massachusetts in 2004. Or, as Wikipedia puts it, "On May 17, 2004, Massachusetts became the first U.S. state and the sixth jurisdiction in the world to legalize same-sex marriage."
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    She is really getting on my nerves.

I had high hopes for her at the start - all she does is sit and slate people with KH or bang on about representing the gay community.

Boring as hell.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is really getting on my nerves.

I had high hopes for her at the start - all she does is sit and slate people with KH or bang on about representing the gay community.

Boring as hell.
    And I'm sure KH would think it silly, too, if she wasn't buddied up with her, like a couple of extras from Brokeback Mountain.
  • Options
    Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Full of her own self-importance.

Exactly this.

I was thinking...imagine if that was a straight male in there 'representing' the 'female community', saying he didn't speak to other men and criticising the women for letting down other women. He'd be laughed out of town.

Or a white person acting as spokesperson or guardian for black people. It would seem preposterous and really patronising.

It's a tricky one cos I respect her passion, loyalty and empathy. And any minority group experiencing discrimination should have champions of every colour, creed, gender, etc to reach a wider audience. Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement had a lot of important white support. The feminist movement had male support. But they cant be more than that. They cant be the main voice cos they just don't have the same 'rights of ownership' if they don't (and never will) walk in the other person's shoes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I find the fact she hangs out of the rear-end of hopkins (like a jobby) far more cringeworthy.... it can't smell good up there

but yes, she is a deluded crusader
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely spot on. Kav is just a normal guy who gets on with his life. He doesn't feel the need to remind everyone that he's gay. He's in there representing Kav and that's it.

I didn't even know he was gay until now.
  • Options
    Oracles_eyeOracles_eye Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    Diary room yesterday: "I connect well with Kavana, not just because of the gay thing" (You're not gay, love) "I like Callum, even though I'm not used to straight men"

I find the way she's made herself spokesperson for the gay community and divides gays/straights as if they're different breeds a little crass. People are people! Everyone is different! As a gay man she's the type of woman I run away from. I feel like those kind of women only want to be friends with me cause I'm gay, not cause they like me as a person. Especially if they say stuff like "I've always wanted a gay friend! We can go shopping together!" I have friends, not **** hags. I saw her refer to herself in an interview as "a gay man's best friend" She probably also thinks she's "a gay man trapped in a woman's body" rolleyes

This is kinda what I think, I'd add a lot more that would probably give me another 48hr ban.

Also one of my arguments is people are people, I take each person how I find them, doesn't matter who the happen to fancy, where in the world they are from or even if they have a pet centipede.
  • Options
    wildparkwildpark Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a Country that makes a big deal about freedom the USA is in general far less tolerant of individuality than England. It is about group think - looking to a "community" for an identity.

It is why their "eccentrics" (in British eyes) are so unoriginal e.g. in the house Katie (either) has far more character and individuality than Perez, who is just an immature attention seeker.
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is her meal ticket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wildpark wrote: »
    For a Country that makes a big deal about freedom the USA is in general far less tolerant of individuality than England. It is about group think - looking to a "community" for an identity.

It is why their "eccentrics" (in British eyes) are so unoriginal e.g. in the house Katie (either) has far more character and individuality than Perez, who is just an immature attention seeker.

I don't think any of that is true. (I gave some of the reasons in an earlier post.) Perez isn't even typical of American "eccentrics", if he's even considered an eccentric there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly this.

I was thinking...imagine if that was a straight male in there 'representing' the 'female community', saying he didn't speak to other men and criticising the women for letting down other women. He'd be laughed out of town.

Or a white person acting as spokesperson or guardian for black people. It would seem preposterous and really patronising.

It's a tricky one cos I respect her passion, loyalty and empathy. And any minority group experiencing discrimination should have champions of every colour, creed, gender, etc to reach a wider audience. Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement had a lot of important white support. The feminist movement had male support. But they cant be more than that. They cant be the main voice cos they just don't have the same 'rights of ownership' if they don't (and never will) walk in the other person's shoes.

How do you fit that with the abolitionist movements in the US an UK where white men such as William Lloyd Garrison and William Wilberforce played such prominent roles? (Of course, there were black voices too, such as Frederick Douglas, and women, including black women such as Sojourner Truth, who had prominent roles as well. Most of the main voices were nonetheless men who, unlike Douglas and Truth, had not been slaves themselves.)

I think that in some cases, the degree of oppression is so great that the most, at least, of the main voices have to be from outside. Another factor is some cases, such as the British abolitionist campaigns against slavery and the slave trade, is distance. The vast majority of slaves and ex-slaves were 1000s of miles away and could not realistically be main voices in Britain at that time.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time I see Michelle 'tarted-up' I think she looks like a trans-sexual. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is not a criticism of the USA (it is a young Country) it has its own virtues. All Cav seems to bring to the table on the British side is his laziness. Both Cav and Patsy have no discernible talent, but both seem to be bitter that they have to earn a living doing something for others.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diary room yesterday: "I connect well with Kavana, not just because of the gay thing" (You're not gay, love) "I like Callum, even though I'm not used to straight men"

I find the way she's made herself spokesperson for the gay community and divides gays/straights as if they're different breeds a little crass. People are people! Everyone is different! As a gay man she's the type of woman I run away from. I feel like those kind of women only want to be friends with me cause I'm gay, not cause they like me as a person. Especially if they say stuff like "I've always wanted a gay friend! We can go shopping together!" I have friends, not **** hags. I saw her refer to herself in an interview as "a gay man's best friend" She probably also thinks she's "a gay man trapped in a woman's body" rolleyes

I would assume she's married to a straight man and has not spent her life surrounded by gay men apart from him. Just more of her rubbish really. Her patronising, stereotyping and know it all attitude towards gay men is quite shocking. She is the one identifying other people by their sexuality. It's insulting and does not belong in current time.. She makes money from her crap about LBGT people, that's about it for me. I don't listen to her any longer. She's the exact opposite of practically everything she has to repeatedly tell us she is. Her hypocrisy and lack of back bone is off putting, to say the least.
  • Options
    heresittingheresitting Posts: 2,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's just jumped on a bandwagon to suit her own agenda.... The way she goes on you'd think gays are frightened little creatures who can't cope with the really world. It's 2015 Michelle... and your attitude is beyond insulting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    America is a very diverse place.

It is a much bigger country but it is also much younger. In European (and Asian) eyes it was all built five minutes ago. This is not a criticism it is just a fact.

Because it is a very big Country it also a more lonely place, hence the great emphasis on joining a tribe (of some sort) rather than just being an individual.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Completely agree.
    Whilst most gay people are campaigning to be treated equally, Michelle seems intent on labelling them as though their sexuality is the only thing that defines them as people.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly this.

Precisely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    P!nk is also a spokesperson for the "gay community" (i dont know why it should be called that as they are the same as anyone else) but in my opinion she comes across the right way ..... In other words dont go shouting about it singling people out because of their sexuality but encourage people they are no different and to be proud of who you are. Michelle could learn a thing or two from her.
    Its not about how loud or often you shout something its more about the actions that go with it.