Options

This country is broken

hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
Forum Member
✭✭
Mark my words, There will be riots and protests over the next 5 years as people won't stand for this status quota. The election system is a shambles and should be replaced. Things that would happen under Tories would be rise in food banks and removal of the NHS and child benefit.

Comments

• Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah, British (well, English) people are in love with the status quo. Rebellion just isn't in our nature. I didn't vote Tory but there's no arguing with how emphatically they won.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I believe there will be anarchy and riots at some point, yes.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe there will be anarchy and riots at some point, yes.

Probably sooner then you think, I believe there is a protest planned at 18:00 tonight.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Probably sooner then you think, I believe there is a protest planned at 18:00 tonight.

I'll hide underneath the bedclothes, I think! :o
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Nah, British (well, English) people are in love with the status quo. Rebellion just isn't in our nature. I didn't vote Tory but there's no arguing with how emphatically they won.

Not sure their last Album sold well but not a chart topper.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Will it be finished in time for Eastenders
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Mark my words, There will be riots and protests over the next 5 years as people won't stand for this status quota. The election system is a shambles and should be replaced. Things that would happen under Tories would be rise in food banks and removal of the NHS and child benefit.

Well it will be the scum who riot who have never worked and expect something for nothing if this does actually happen .
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    asyousay wrote: »
    Well it will be the scum who riot who have never worked and expect something for nothing if this does actually happen .

i know plenty of well heeled people who would [and have] taken part in many a protest against the shower of idiots on the way out and will happily do so against the idiot returning today.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    To be fair if you rely on Child benefit to keep you child then maybe you should have thought about whether you could afford them in the first place. I always see the child benefit argument bandied about but I don't see why the state should pay you to have a child.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Must admit, I'm genuinely depressed after this result.

I mean, sometimes your lot win and sometimes they lose but life goes on.

This time around, though, the result, itself, and the likely reasons for it suggest that there are issues afoot that are likely to prove impossible to resolve and will eventually lead to inevitable conclusions and the only remaining question is when. :(
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Well the far left have never been fans of democracy. Free speech as long as you agree and do exactly s they say.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it. The conservatives have promised a referendum on the EU and restructuring of the national constitutions. There is no way that both aren't going to lead to the party ripping into each other and exposing their divisions. I doubt they'll last 5 years with such a slender majority.

We are in for an interesting and chaotic times though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    To be fair if you rely on Child benefit to keep you child then maybe you should have thought about whether you could afford them in the first place. I always see the child benefit argument bandied about but I don't see why the state should pay you to have a child.

I hate this argument you see it all the time. Should people then not have children at all. As they may be in work at the time. However anyone can become unemployed over 18 years. What then put them into care so you don't have to pay for them.

Who will pay for yours and mines old age. We are not we a paying for the generation above us. It's the next generation who will pay for us.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Well the far left have never been fans of democracy. Free speech as long as you agree and do exactly s they say.

As opposed to the far right, who believe that democracy, equality and freedom are for those who can afford it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Who will pay for yours and mines old age.
    I am paying for mine from private pensions and contributions into the state systems. How about you at for yours?

Yes we pay for current pensioners but that is under the agreement that we gain rights to our own pension in our turn.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There will be no riots, no fuss. A few grumbles on the internet then life will tick along again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am paying for mine from private pensions and contributions into the state systems. How about you at for yours?

Yes we pay for current pensioners but that is under the agreement that we gain rights to our own pension in our turn.

I have a private pension yes cause I know there wont be a state pension when I get to my old age.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is going to be a tough 5 years and I'm very disappointed. However, I do think though that the Tories will completely break down and like someone else said, they'll start ripping each other apart. It will be a hard 5 years, but I don't think they have a hope in hell of getting in at the next election.
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol at the prophecies of doom club.

You can get back to me when Big Dave sells off all our gold...uh oh no wait! What gold...Gor-dooon?

Al Murray's face was a picture. Hilarious!

Great result imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    I have a private pension yes cause I know there wont be a state pension when I get to my old age.

Even if I get it it's a pittance that couldn't support me. Plus I might not want to wait til 80 to retire or whatever the age will be after the next austerity cuts.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    There were riots under all governments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    Lol at the prophecies of doom club.

You can get back to me when Big Dave sells off all our gold...uh oh no wait! What gold...Gor-dooon?

Al Murray's face was a picture. Hilarious!

Great result imo.

We will see the beauty of this site is that it keeps it's old posts. Unless they get deleted, we shall see what the future brings. However no doubt if things go wrong to most Tory voters it will still be Labours fault anyway.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »

I agree. I remember my parents saying that they only got it for me and my brother, not for our younger sister.

Stop the Jeremy Kyle brigade fecklessly breeding like rabbits, getting free housing, using child benefit as a way of life. It stinks.

I saw a 32 stone woman yesterday in the paper who had never worked in her life trousering £18,000 a year because she is too fat to work and too ill because of her weight. My mother worked as a teacher her whole working life and gets just over half of that a year as pension.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    These countries are broken.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    It's the Thatcher years all over again.

That's the problem: Most voters are now too young to remember that period in time: A time when she was so utterly hated and so out of control that even her own party had to get rid of her in the end.

Great unrest ahead.