Options

An open letter to those who voted Consetvative

Comments

• Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    How do you form an opinion then, if you don't read articles or 'listen' to the press?

I think it's important to find out as much information as possible about all parties, even if some of the information is unpleasant to read. That way you can form a strong opinion. imo.

I find out what the parties want to do, and I think of what they did last time they were in power.
  • Options
    CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This sort of hyperbole doesn't work as a campaigning tactic- the sooner Labour realise that the better.

The "Tories are evil" thing's main contribution to the election was some former Lib Dems voting for Labour in Lib Dem/Conservative marginal seats because the coalition was "evil" which allowed the Tories to casually take all the Lib Dem seats and win a majority. Bravo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With FPTP you very rarely get a government that the majority of people voted for so the poster was right. The Tories got the most seats and more people voted for them than any other party but the majority of people didn't vote for them.

:confused::confused::confused:

The public did not trust any other party more than the Tories.
  • Options
    Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Eventually those who voted Conservative will carry a sense of shame for their actions.

Some will react strongly towards those who suggest they should be ashamed...
    Those pills a bit bitter are they?
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Cornchips wrote: »
    I'm not an LD supporter but I don't understand why they were punished or exactly what they were being punished for tbh. Surely everyone who voted LD last time around must have known that they were never going to govern by themselves and also were the party most likely to join with someone else if the opportunity arose.

My view is that the LibDems always appealed more to wavering Labour voters then to wavering Tories.
    LibDem support rose in the '80's when Labour was toxic.
    Maybe ex Tories voted LibDem instead of Labour when Blair changed it all in the '90's.
    I assume when Brown took over from Blair a lot of former Labour voters switched to LibDem in protest.

So a former Labour voter is not going to vote again for a party that went into coalition with the Tories.

Labour picked up the LIbDem votes, but I believe Labour also lost votes to UKIP.
    Diane Abbott, after the Heywood by-election last year, said that Labour did not have an "Anti-Ukip team" in their HQ as they assumed only Tory votes voters would switch to UKIP

Don't see any letters addressed to former Labour working-class core voters who switched to UKIP ???
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    :confused:

But the country voted the Tories in. The majority of the people.

No. They only won by a couple of seats. It wasn't the majority of the people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No. They only won by a couple of seats. It wasn't the majority of the people.

But the Conservatives had the most votes, more people want the Tories to govern that any other party.

And I think they won by about 100 seats.

That is how the system works, and when Labour get back in, no one will complain then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With FPTP you very rarely get a government that the majority of people voted for so the poster was right. The Tories got the most seats and more people voted for them than any other party but the majority of people didn't vote for them.
    Ludicrous logic. Unless you want move to an absolute two-party system, I'm not sure how things could ever be different.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Eventually those who voted Conservative will carry a sense of shame for their actions.

Well it hasn't happened yet and I first voted Conservative 32 years ago (and that was for Thatcher :o).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the Conservatives had the most votes, more people want the Tories to govern that any other party.

And I think they won by about 100 seats.

That is how the system works, and when Labour get back in, no one will complain then.

You mean they beat Labour by 100 seats. If you add those with the votes of all the other parties who didn't vote Tory or Labour, you'll find that the Tories beat them by only 27 seats.
    Cameron needed 23 seats to win.

Cameron won by small majority - less than John Major when he won the election.
  • Options
    CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    My view is that the LibDems always appealed more to wavering Labour voters then to wavering Tories.
    LibDem support rose in the '80's when Labour was toxic.
    Maybe ex Tories voted LibDem instead of Labour when Blair changed it all in the '90's.
    I assume when Brown took over from Blair a lot of former Labour voters switched to LibDem in protest.

So a former Labour voter is not going to vote again for a party that went into coalition with the Tories.

Labour picked up the LIbDem votes, but I believe Labour also lost votes to UKIP.
    Diane Abbott, after the Heywood by-election last year, said that Labour did not have an "Anti-Ukip team" in their HQ as they assumed only Tory votes voters would switch to UKIP

Don't see any letters addressed to former Labour working-class core voters who switched to UKIP ???

Thanks. Interesting. That would explain it.

I agree re UKIP. their policies seem to appeal to a wide spectrum and not just the far right as some suggest. labour seriously underestimated IMHO. I live in a marginal Labour/Tory seat and where there are also quite a lot of race issues. I spoke to a lot of previously Labour supporters who were voting UKIP this time around because they felt UKIP spoke more to them re immigration than Labour. They felt Labour were completely out of touch and were not tackling what was important to them.

LD collapsed, the Tories held but UKIP surged which I think more than likely took a lot from Labour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You mean they beat Labour by 100 seats. If you add the votes of all the other parties who didn't vote Tory or Labour, you'll find that the Tories beat them by only 27 seats.
    Cameron needed 23 seats to win.

He won by small majority- less than John Major had when he won the election.

A win is a win. The conservatives will rule UK for the next five years.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying that people who voted Conservative are evil. A political party is not a pick 'n mix, you get all the aspects when you vote for them.

Certainly many who voted will have problems with aspects of what the Conservatives are doing with the genuinely sick/disabled and those who care for them. But felt that they had no choice but to vote for them for economic/unionist reasons.

However a person can still feel a certain amount of guilt anyway. Maybe a letter to their MP condemning the behaviour towards the genuinely sick/disabled would be a good solution here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A win is a win. The conservatives will rule UK for the next five years.

Yes, but don't think it was a HUGE win for Tories, because it wasn't. You seemed a bit confused about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, but don't think it was a HUGE win for Tories, because it wasn't. You seemed a bit confused about it.

I never said it was a huge win, but Labour is the opposition, its either Labour or the Tories that form the government. The Tories had 100 seats more than Labour and a majority, therefore they have won the election.

End of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was a HUGE loss for Labour, the LibDems and UKIP. Not being quite as shit as the worst performers is hardly a great victory.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not saying that people who voted Conservative are evil. A political party is not a pick 'n mix, you get all the aspects when you vote for them.

Certainly many who voted will have problems with aspects of what the Conservatives are doing with the genuinely sick/disabled and those who care for them. But felt that they had no choice but to vote for them for economic/unionist reasons.

However a person can still feel a certain amount of guilt anyway. Maybe a letter to their MP condemning the behaviour towards the genuinely sick/disabled would be a good solution here.

Im a Tory supporter but there are some things I dont agree with that they do. However you have to weigh up who has the policies you like most. As you say its not a pick and mix. For me I like the Tory policies alot more than Labour.

However I am appalled by some of the comments on here saying, if you vote Tory you are, evil, nasty, thick etc and should be ashamed. We are none of those and people who say these things should be ashamed of themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was a HUGE loss for Labour, the LibDems and UKIP. Not being quite as shit as the worst performers is hardly a great victory.

Yes, but that's not what's being discussed here.
  • Options
    Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    Im a Tory supporter but there are some things I dont agree with that they do. However you have to weigh up who has the policies you like most. As you say its not a pick and mix. For me I like the Tory policies alot more than Labour.

However I am appalled by some of the comments on here saying, if you vote Tory you are, evil, nasty, thick etc and should be ashamed. We are none of those and people who say these things should be ashamed of themselves.

Why? It is there opinion. Tory voters in my view, are either completely misguided or selfish and unkind.

I hold that opinion. You might not agree but certainly I'm allowed to believe it.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't read the letter. But would like to say that I hope those who voted Tory are not let down big time. I voted labour, don't even like Ed Milliband. I voted labour because I don't agree with tory policies.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Some people simply cannot get it through their heads that having differing views from them about what is best for the country as a whole does not make you thick, evil or selfish.

Brilliant, no seriously that really is funny, after 5 years of being called work-shy (even though I work) a scrounger, (because I'm low paid) my other half being called a liar (both by a Tory voter on this forum and by Atos) even though she has a life shortening and incurable medical condition and she ignores her doctors and insist on working part time,

As someone who despite saying repeatedly that I totally accept the result of the election and respect the right of anyone to vote for who they wish that I have never said that I hate Tory voters (because members of my family vote Tory) but I have said that I hate the Tory party and its ideology and always will,

Yet I have been repeatedly told in the past couple of days that I am "a sore loser because my team lost" as though an election to decide who gets to run the country for the next 5 years is of no more importance than a football match,

and because acceptance of the result is not enough, I am expected to celebrate the Tory win like a condemned man celebrating his death sentence. or a prisoner expected to change his religion or to swear allegiance to his captors.

But don't get it through your heads that having a different view of What's best for ALL of the PEOPLE of this country does not make us '"work-shy scroungers" or "benefit cheats" or mean we "want something for nothing" or are, the latest 'inventive' sneer term "welfies" we are, believe it or not, human beings.

By all means enjoy your moment of victory by sneering at those who are living in genuine fear of what the future now holds, many of them low paid workers or sick and or disabled,
    But PLEASE whatever you do don't lose your job, don't become sick/disabled don't have an accident or a life changing tragedy, because there but for the grace of God and all that.

Sneering commence ............................................
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CelticMyth wrote: »
    This sort of hyperbole doesn't work as a campaigning tactic- the sooner Labour realise that the better.

The "Tories are evil" thing's main contribution to the election was some former Lib Dems voting for Labour in Lib Dem/Conservative marginal seats because the coalition was "evil" which allowed the Tories to casually take all the Lib Dem seats and win a majority. Bravo.

So the message seems to be, don't express a different opinion to the one's held by the beloved leader and his followers, agree with us or shut up?

God help us over the next 5 years.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_X_123 wrote: »
    Why? It is there opinion. Tory voters in my view, are either completely misguided or selfish and unkind.

I hold that opinion. You might not agree but certainly I'm allowed to believe it.

Well I could say that about Labour supporters but I wouldn't stoop to that level. Of course you are entitled to your opinion but there are better ways of voicing without being rude.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said it was a huge win, but Labour is the opposition, its either Labour or the Tories that form the government. The Tories had 100 seats more than Labour and a majority, therefore they have won the election.

You did, but never mind.

Labour isn't the only opposition party. Have you forgotten the last government already? :D
    It formed a coalition party with the LibDems.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    It's unlikely that we'd end up like Greece or Spain, as we have our own currency & can set our own rates.

So does Argentina.