any Brittas Empire fans?

Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Possibly one of my fave sitcoms of all time. It ran for a good seven series throughout the 1990s and all were good, apart from series 6 which can be forgiven. Some classic disatrous episodes, most of which are being shown on UK Gold. It had a great set of characters too, my favourite being Colin and Carol, the receptionist who keeps her babies in a draw. Would like to hear from other fans of the series and reminise. This is the sort of comedy you wouldnt get nowadays.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this when I was a yute, good shit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I used to love this show. Such a shame that the great Chris Barrie went on to do such trite TV tosh such as "Chris Barrie's Massive Engines", when he should have been revved up to do more comedy. A talent wasted!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    a great comedy program,enjoying the re-runs on cable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was utter rubbish, and Chris Barrie is a one-trick actor, even in Red Dwalf he played the same charactor.
  • justintimejustintime Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    I liked the Brittas Empire growing up - I have all 7 series on DVD. Series 6 isn't very good at all as it was really meant to end with series 5. They did get back on track though in series 7.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

It was absolutely dreadful.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have watched a few on satellite recently, and it's even funnier than I remember! Really bizarre stories, and memorable characters.

Carol the receptionist is one of the all-time outstanding British sitcom characters, nervously calling Mr Brittas "Mssbrss" and slamming her babies in desk drawers: excellent.

Favourite episode:
    A runaway emu wrecking a recording of Songs of Praise

Such a shame that modern sitcoms don't have the imagination and freshness that many older shows have.
  • ASH2ASH2 Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    I was watching the period drama "THE GRAND" writen by Dr WHO writer Russel T Davis
    I sat there watching and this woman came on screen, she is one of the lead actors, and all the way through I was saying "what he hell is she off"....now I'm quit good at this game but good grief this had me stumpt next epissode .....what the hell is she off....and on and on.
    So Googled her name and she was Laura Lancing of the Brittas Empire

the sensible one :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I also used to like Britas Empire a true great and it is still as funny on the re runs as i remember it being in the 90s
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Another vote for the loving it camp.... (that sounds wrong...:o )

Anyway - yes, I loved that show! Just such surreal comedy. Something you really don't see today!
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it....and his screwed-up, nympho wife was hilarious!
    Some very good actors in that show!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rewatched all the series' in a giant row not that long ago. Great programme until it started loosing its edge and then to its cop out ending
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to really like it. The first few seasons were great, but it got a bit rubbish towards the end. I'm a big Chris Barrie fan, i love him in Red Dwarf as well.
  • ScoundreldaysScoundreldays Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Carol the receptionist is one of the all-time outstanding British sitcom characters, nervously calling Mr Brittas "Mssbrss" and slamming her babies in desk drawers: excellent.

The receptionist is the character that sticks in my mind the most. Really funny.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    wow what a great thread :p i bought the brittas empire box set not long ago and have been getting through them all the last month or so. i dont really remember watching it in the 90s as i was only young but i love it now, they should do a reunion show, chris barrie said he would love to do one.

some of the stories, well actually all of the stories are madness, love it lol the cow giving birth in there the same time as carol. and when he gets wheeled about by colin when his feet are set in concrete lmao
    i liked his little none romance with laura in series 4 aswell.

ahh love it. nearly finished the box set now im on series 7 :(
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite episode is when gordon is fired from the centre and ends up working at a petrol station. He goes back to the centre and gives them a ticking clock and causes an electric drill to drill into the wall. When it causes a gas leak, the ticking clock sparks and blows up the centre. hehe. Gordon, however, who is down in the basement rescues ben and is hailed as a hero, thus in the next series he gets his job back :D
  • AlcAmAlcAm Posts: 1,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found it on Gold a week or so ago - about the beginning of Series 2 I see from IMDb - and loving it again. Loved the surreal hyper-reality of the leisure centre as well as frequent deaths and mutilations inflicted on the few guests or Colin.

Realised other day it was a very similar mix to Fawlty Towers - farce, hotel/leisure centre, incompetent male in charge, dominant capable female/s clearing up man's disasters all the time, put upon staff etc etc. Though with added in Tom & Jerry brutality!

I loved Helen the put upon pill popping, unfaithful wife. A sublime performance by Pippa Haywood who is one of the few cast members to crop up again on TV afterwards. It was certainly the last decent thing Chris Barrie ever did - and I so include the tail end of Red Dwarf.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love this show. Such a shame that the great Chris Barrie went on to do such trite TV tosh such as "Chris Barrie's Massive Engines", when he should have been revved up to do more comedy. A talent wasted!

Did he not play a retired footballer in the rather weak BBC sitcom 'A Prince Among Men' just after Brittas?
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    He did. I rather liked that series. I'm not even going to respond to the comment/accusation that he plays the same character in both series, it's so ludricous.
    (He's currently presenting "Britain's greatest machines", for anyone who needs their CB fix, over on Nat Geo on Thursdays).
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I think it was hilarious, though I only saw the first couple of series when ti originally aired. I sky + it on GOLD everyday now.

Out of interest, what was wrong with series 6? Is it worth avoiding?
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I am right ... the writers (and Julia St John as Laura) leave at the end of series 5. Series 6 has a couple of new characters (not such good ones), and the new writers don't crack the series as well as the originals.

I've seen bits of series 6 and 7 on Sky, and it feels very different. I haven't seen the last episode, but I believe it has an awful, cop-out ending.
    Brittas has dreamed the whole series while on his way to his initial job interview att he centre

I'm watching The Grand at the moment! (as mentioned in a post, above). It's brilliant stuff. I've just got to the end of series one: Julia St John is really excellent. Last year, I met Pippa Hayward (Mrs Brittas): I got an autograph and said how much I enjoyed The Brittas Empire. She was very happy to be remembered for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    i have just watched series 6 this week, i did think it wasnt as good as previous series's but i am a big laura fan and missed her when she left, other than that, the stories are still as mad and mental as before but cus of the different writer it just seems abit different i can't quite put my finger on why, but still worth watching, the other characters do get more stories of their own which i think is cool.

tele addict that was such a good episode LOL loved how he came out at the end with the children awww
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I remember the show and enjoyed it, haven't seen it for years :D
  • DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the character Mr Brittas could succeed as a sitcom outside the leisure centre setting, he was the nineties Frank Spencer but with a bit more depth.

The cruise ship idea mooted around a few years back seems good. Even Mr Brittas set in a biscuit factory would probably be worth watching.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was terrible, brilliant but terrible...