"The Da Vinci Code" - What is it about? *confused*

cherbrinkleyfancherbrinkleyfan Posts: 1,939
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When it comes to religion i am very sceptical on watching stuff because maybe i am scared to get confused.

I was looking around for films based on Mary Magdalene and her name was featured heavily on reviews for "the da vinci code", however then it starts mentioning the mona lisa and other paintings and then back to religion itself.

I just wanted to see DS thoughts on this before i view

Comments

• lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A book by Dan Brown. An interesting take on the Catholic faith. :o

Didn't care much for the film either but was enjoyable enough. :D
  • not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's basically just a run-of-the-mill conspiracy movie involving a religious institution. It's not very good, and it's more tedious than confusing. It doesn't say much of interest about religion, if that's what you're after?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    Not wanting to spoilt it, but I will if you read below.
    The Da Vinci Code, is a plot that suggests that the Holy Grail is not a cup that Jesus drank out of during the last supper, instead it is a person, this person has the blood of Christ within them (i.e. Jesus is on their family tree) it suggests that Jesus had a thing with Mary Magdalene, she wasn't a **** just something the church said to make Jesus less human and more Godly, and they had kids and the kids had kids etc. This secret has been kept and protected by a secret society. And so on.

If you are looking for films about Mary Magdalene this might not be the best film for that as she doesn't feature heavily and is more a plot device than a character.

Most people will say stay clear of Dan Brown books, even though his writing is not the best I find them good thriller reads to relax with, however I would suggest leaving the movie adaptations alone as however bad the books are the films are 10 - 20% worse :)
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Da Vinci Code is not the right film for you if you're looking for ones based on Mary Madgalene.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll never be Maria Magdalena
    (You're a creature of the night)
    Maria Magdalena
    (You're a victim of the fight, you need love)
    Promise me delight.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    I read one of his books (Angels and Demons?) and found his style of writing quite irritating. The plot devices were increasingly incredulous but in the end I had to give it up when our hero jumped out of a helicopter, several hundred feet in the air, as a bomb on board it was about to explode. As he jumped out he grabbed a canvas cover for the windshield and used it as a parachute, managing to steer his decent safely into a river. Hooray!:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you seen National Tresure? Its a kids version of the film and imo better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Books are much better than the movies. So I would suggest reading it before seeing the movie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, shame the book is just as bad as the movie though...
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read one of his books (Angels and Demons?) and found his style of writing quite irritating. The plot devices were increasingly incredulous but in the end I had to give it up when our hero jumped out of a helicopter, several hundred feet in the air, as a bomb on board it was about to explode. As he jumped out he grabbed a canvas cover for the windshield and used it as a parachute, managing to steer his decent safely into a river. Hooray!:rolleyes:

Does the term "Spoiler" mean nothing to you? Fortunately the movie has a different ending to the book, but you've still managed to ruin the ending for anybody who was planning on reading Angels and Demons haven't you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the term "Spoiler" mean nothing to you? Fortunately the movie has a different ending to the book, but you've still managed to ruin the ending for anybody who was planning on reading Angels and Demons haven't you?
    Spoiler conventions don't apply this long after release, never mind in a thread on a completely different topic. Also, Bambi's mother dies, Bruce Willis was a ghost all along, and Kevin Spacey was Kaiser Souzai. :)
    Forum Member
    Spoiler conventions don't apply this long after release, never mind in a thread on a completely different topic. Also, Bambi's mother dies, Bruce Willis was a ghost all along, and Kevin Spacey was Kaiser Souzai. :)
    Keyser Soze
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keyser Soze
    You've made a powerful enemy today, my friend. :cool:
    Forum Member
    You've made a powerful enemy today, my friend. :cool:

:D:D:D

well I thought it was funny :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Smerph wrote: »
    Yeah, shame the book is just as bad as the movie though...

the book is shockingly bad. I read an article about it not so long ago, the reviewer was totally perplexed about how such a book could even get published, let alone become a bestseller and after reading a few passages from the book myself, I can totally understand what he means, it's as if a (poorly educated) twelve year old had written it.
    As for the film, only saw a few minutes and that was enough, though I guess they really didn't have much to work with.
  • newman2005newman2005 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    its about a man who writes a book that has inspired a series of really random people to believe the book is based on fact - #blameianmckellan
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Recorded this last week, it was on Channel 5 (adverts - gah).

I thought it was fantastic. Didn't watch it when it was released as so many people commented on it's complexity, but I found it fairly easy to follow.

It's rare that I watch a movie and want to immediately watch it again, but I have bought the dvd and can't wait for a free evening over Christmas (ironically). :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Books are much better than the movies. So I would suggest reading it before seeing the movie.

Ordinarily, I would agree with you. But Dan Brown is the most appalling writer ever to hit the best seller lists that it doesn't apply here. Ten pages of the wretched book was enough to make me want to hurl the damned thing away.

The film itself is no great shakes. However, oddly enough, I found the extended version on Blu Ray far more enjoyable than the version released in cinemas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's one of my least favorite movies. Boring and completely idiotic.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    actually the film missed the crux of the book (the central idea of "Holy Blood, Holly Grail") which was that Jesus had married Mary Magdalene, and Sophie was actually a direct descendant of thatr blood line.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    actually the film missed the crux of the book (the central idea of "Holy Blood, Holly Grail") which was that Jesus had married Mary Magdalene, and Sophie was actually a direct descendant of thatr blood line.

how the hell did it miss that out? that was the entire point of the book lol

(not seen the film, but read the book...)

:confused:
  • skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member

thats explained at the end of the film :confused:
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Load of made-up nonsense, about a conspiracy within a load of made-up nonsense.
  • skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Load of made-up nonsense,

Aren't most films? :D
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,295
    Forum Member
    When it comes to religion i am very sceptical on watching stuff because maybe i am scared to get confused.

I was looking around for films based on Mary Magdalene and her name was featured heavily on reviews for "the da vinci code", however then it starts mentioning the mona lisa and other paintings and then back to religion itself.

I just wanted to see DS thoughts on this before i view

In a nutshell, Mary Magdelene was the "holy grail". She was the wife of Jesus and was pregnant with his child, a daughter, when he was crucified.

The rest of the plot concerns the two lead characters (one of which is the descendant of Christ) trying to uncover the secret, while others try to keep it concealed at any cost.