Options

My poor daughter- can you get any "student benefits" (other the EMA)

Comments

• Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try the local McDonalds/Burger King/KFC.

At least she's likely to get suitable hours then.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just been to Morrisons and they have job boards right outside the entrance with lots of vacancies at the store. do you have a local one?
  • Options
    PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kyresa wrote: »
    Try the local McDonalds/Burger King/KFC.

At least she's likely to get suitable hours then.

This is what I did, worked at both Burger King and McDonalds during A levels and uni moving to TGI Fridays for my final 2 years as tips meant I earnt a lot more. Plus these places do offer better shift times for students. I got the job in Burger King on my 16th Birthday just went to the nearest town loaded with cv's and went into every shop/restaurant. I also earnt more one Xmas while at uni by getting an Xmas job in Argos, on top of McD's. Argos normally are quite good for Xmas jobs. I know from my nieces and nephews that it can be hard but they all managed to get part time jobs while studying after a lot of searching, they have worked at costa coffee, butchers, Waitrose, golf club restaurant, Asda and WHSmiths. If she keeps looking I am sure she will find something in the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Punkchick wrote: »
    This is what I did, worked at both Burger King and McDonalds during A levels and uni moving to TGI Fridays for my final 2 years as tips meant I earnt a lot more. Plus these places do offer better shift times for students. I got the job in Burger King on my 16th Birthday just went to the nearest town loaded with cv's and went into every shop/restaurant. I also earnt more one Xmas while at uni by getting an Xmas job in Argos, on top of McD's. Argos normally are quite good for Xmas jobs. I know from my nieces and nephews that it can be hard but they all managed to get part time jobs while studying after a lot of searching, they have worked at costa coffee, butchers, Waitrose, golf club restaurant, Asda and WHSmiths. If she keeps looking I am sure she will find something in the end.

Pretty much what I did... day after 16th birthday walked into McDonalds, filled in an application form and started 3 weeks later.

It was a regular job with flexible hours and back then they had a scheme where you could claim £50 back for text books purchased (tax benefits for them, money back in the pocket for me!)

There were also lots of students working there as well so the social life was also very good and you got to know lots of people. Sure the work is HARD (your feet will ache at the end of the day) but it was also money direct into the bank every fortnight!

When you need the money, you can't be choosy and "oh I don't want to...." !!
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No EMA when I was at school and my family were very poor. Got a saturday job working in Woolworths and later BHS. Most of the kids, in the area where I now live, work in the local Tesco's evenings and weekends.

If she wants some pocket money.....get a job!
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, so many jobs to go round for everyone. :rolleyes:

Would agree with you about Full-Time jobs but there are many. many part-time jobs available. Trouble is they are often the sort of jobs that people do not want to do or who feel the jobs are 'beneath them' eg cleaning, retail, or care work!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No EMA when I was at school and my family were very poor. Got a saturday job working in Woolworths and later BHS. Most of the kids, in the area where I now live, work in the local Tesco's evenings and weekends.

If she wants some pocket money.....get a job!

Exactly, this EMA just created another round of "entitlement"....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would agree with you about Full-Time jobs but there are many. many part-time jobs available. Trouble is they are often the sort of jobs that people do not want to do or who feel the jobs are 'beneath them' eg cleaning, retail, or care work!

Reminds me of that programme on BBC1 where some reporter stood outside the job centre and said to someone

"So aer you actively looking for a job" '

"oh yeah mate, I'd take a job, nah, I don't want to be on benefits, there's just nothing around"

" well, we can get you a job for tomorrow morning"...

"really?"

"Yes, can you be here for 7am, they require strawberry pickers"

"oh.. erm.... umm... welll... well I can't tomorrow, I've got to go now.."
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Actually there is if people go looking for them. The problem is many folks don't want to lower themselves by doing undesirable jobs or work thats beneath them

This is true. I knew of an ex-bank manager who was working in a factory making plastic bottles.

Tell her to get herself down to the local temp agencies, there are probably loads of picking/packing jobs in warehouses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    It's an absolute disgrace that EMA was scrapped for 16-18's staying on at school.:mad: Would certainly have helped us.

EMA was an absolute disgrace anyway. It should have been given to everyone who stayed on or no one at all. As

1. Just because some families have money doesn't mean the children see any of it.
    2. It was used and abused as it was never used for its intended purpose? Why not just give the school a lump some to get the kids supplies!
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    Reminds me of that programme on BBC1 where some reporter stood outside the job centre and said to someone

"oh yeah mate, I'd take a job, nah, I don't want to be on benefits, there's just nothing around"

"really?"

Well to be fair strawberry picking isn't a full-time occupation, and the hassle of having to re-apply for benefits and the long gaps in between paycheques and benefits payments when the work is over, combined with the fact that it would usually be a financial loss to accept the low-paid work and I can see why they wouldn't do it.

I know someone who's currently unemployed on JSA and he's looking for work. The money he gets from his part time jobs is deducted from his benefits so he's just as better off staying at home as he is working. If he earns so much that he's not entitled to the benefits, even if it's just for a couple of weeks, he has to reapply for the benefits all over again. He's exasperated with it all and I don't blame him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of you who benefited from EMA have me to thank for it. Back in the early eighties when I was doing my A levels I wrote to Thatcher proposing the idea. Some bod from No 10 wrote back to me saying that the Prime Minister had read my letter and considered it carefully. I don't think it's any coincidence that Tony Blair decided to implement it after he moved into Downing Street. He probably found my letter in the files.
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much what I did... day after 16th birthday walked into McDonalds, filled in an application form and started 3 weeks later.

It was a regular job with flexible hours and back then they had a scheme where you could claim £50 back for text books purchased (tax benefits for them, money back in the pocket for me!)

There were also lots of students working there as well so the social life was also very good and you got to know lots of people. Sure the work is HARD (your feet will ache at the end of the day) but it was also money direct into the bank every fortnight!

When you need the money, you can't be choosy and "oh I don't want to...." !!
    McDonalds only accept online applications these days, but there are usually jobs available somewhere nearby if you live in a town or city.

Both my daughters - one at university, one studying for A levels - both got jobs in different McDonalds and it's working out well for them.
  • Options
    PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McDonalds only accept online applications these days, but there are usually jobs available somewhere nearby if you live in a town or city.

Both my daughters - one at university, one studying for A levels - both got jobs in different McDonalds and it's working out well for them.

Indeed the other thing I found good about my Mcjob was that when I went away to University I was able to transfer. My husband did the same. We actually met at McD's while at uni and have both gone on to have well paid careers. I always look favourably on a persons cv who has worked in a McDonalds or the like because I know they know how to work hard.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, so many jobs to go round for everyone. :rolleyes:

Not full time work with enough of a wage to support you and your family. But there's usually part time jobs about that would suit a single 16 year old with no commitments (and Polish people for some rason :confused:).

I did call centre work. It was horrible but I had no money. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"really?"

That sounds like a replay of what happened to those men who ended up a slave in Traveller camps, only they said "yes, of course I'll come away and work for you, Mr stranger."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Punkchick wrote: »
    Indeed the other thing I found good about my Mcjob was that when I went away to University I was able to transfer. My husband did the same. We actually met at McD's while at uni and have both gone on to have well paid careers. I always look favourably on a persons cv who has worked in a McDonalds or the like because I know they know how to work hard.

You're not the first person I have heard say that either!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    That sounds like a replay of what happened to those men who ended up a slave in Traveller camps, only they said "yes, of course I'll come away and work for you, Mr stranger."

Do you think the makers of Panorama were involved in that then? :eek::eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think the makers of Panorama were involved in that then? :eek::eek:

Just beware of strange men hanging about offering jobs outside job centres. They could be villains......or BBC reporters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just tried to apply for P/T at WHsmith I sometimes wonder what these people are smoking.

They are insisting in order for me to have a job(only part time on the til) there I need 5 years continuous employment in retail.

All this for a crappy 20hrs a week ? My hamster could do the job!
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some students who would have qualified for EMA can apply for bursary from the college, can't they? Might be worth phoning the student finance people where your daughter is (or if she is in a sixth form, your local Education dept) and they will advise.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,965
    Forum Member
    I just tried to apply for P/T at WHsmith I sometimes wonder what these people are smoking.

They are insisting in order for me to have a job(only part time on the til) there I need 5 years continuous employment in retail.

All this for a crappy 20hrs a week ? My hamster could do the job!
    Yeah, it's a myth that these part time jobs are easy to get. Read any student forum and you'll see schoolkids, undergrads and graduates all struggling to get even the most rubbish jobs. Many graduates now leave their degree off any cv/application as employers think they may walk after a short time. Having said that, I guess if you push hard enough you might get something.
  • Options
    BeautifulSexy_1BeautifulSexy_1 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The government have well and truley messed up the system for students in college/uni. I sugguest your daughter get a part time job as thats the only way she can get money. I know the job situation right now is hard but thats just life and how the economy is right now. She just has to keep on trying. Tell her to hand her CV in shops, restaurants, pubs. Or she could help out the local neighbourhood doing gardening, walking dogs. I hope she finds something to get money
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    To all those saying "get a job" the OP does say in her OP that daughter is trying hard to find work. It's not always easy though. Bar work and most supermarkets are out if she's not 18 eg

OP Last year I noticed most card shops had ads for temp Christams Staff, tell her to go round them - maybe if she goes now she'll get in early
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The government have well and truley messed up the system for students in college/uni. I sugguest your daughter get a part time job as thats the only way she can get money. I know the job situation right now is hard but thats just life and how the economy is right now. She just has to keep on trying. Tell her to hand her CV in shops, restaurants, pubs. Or she could help out the local neighbourhood doing gardening, walking dogs. I hope she finds something to get money

Seriously, that's how it always WAS until a few years ago when EMA came in!