Options

If You Were Scratching Your Head About "Falling" Violent Crime Trends........

2»

Comments

• Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    I think you'll find you'll need to look further. Resolution is what it says on the tin - a resolution. The fact that something needed resolving (be that through a community order or a court appearance) doesn't mean the deed goes unrecorded. It still gets recorded as a crime according to the chief constable being interviewed on r5 this morning.

I think it also brings into question about the way we record crime and how easy it is to equate one to another.

Scenario 1: You have a bit of a barmy with someone in a pub. He takes a swing at you and gets arrested. The next day he apologies for being an idiot and you let the matter drop.

Scenario 2: Walking home at night you are attacked by a complete stranger. You press charges.

Are those crimes equivalent? Should they be recorded as such?
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it also brings into question about the way we record crime and how easy it is to equate one to another.

Scenario 1: You have a bit of a barmy with someone in a pub. He takes a swing at you and gets arrested. The next day he apologies for being an idiot and you let the matter drop.

Scenario 2: Walking home at night you are attacked by a complete stranger. You press charges.

Are those crimes equivalent? Should they be recorded as such?

The devil is def in the detail. The aforementioned copper elaborated on how a case recorded as domestic violence was "resolved"
    It centred around two young teenage siblings sat infront of the telly fighting over the controller for the x-box game and the parent (for some reason or other) phoning the police. Not exactly what springs to mind when the phrase "domestic violence" gets mentioned.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well according to the new Chief Inspector of Police their new priority is to be preventing crime so they don't have to catch any criminals which in turn will make big savings in court and prison costs.
    So you would prefer to be beaten up as long as the perpetrator goes to jail?

It may come as a shock to you but the original main role of the police was as a deterrent.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,881
    Forum Member
    I always thought that the figures where being massaged bigtime, crimes not recorded etc after the cuts, just to make it look like they can cut the budgets without it affecting performance when it obviously does!
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sinistra wrote: »
    Look no further .............................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22346971

You also have to take in to account the fact that many crimes go unreported....