Options

Hayley's New Friend

Comments

• Options
    peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    Redhead69 wrote: »
    I know people react differently to the news that they have cancer. When I was told I had ovarian cancer, my world fell apart. I had a three year old son and was getting divorced. I didn't make inappropriate jokes and statements and wasn't happy at all. I was in pain and very upset. Its because of my own experiences that I do not like the woman from the support group (in corrie) and find her behaviour inappropriate and insulting to other cancer sufferers. Its just my view. Just like to add Macmillan are the best.

Hello fellow survivor! Ovarian cancer stage 3, ten years clear. :) I agree absolutely with what you say, she makes a point of mentioning the fact that she's dying all the time. And hear hear to your comment re Macmillan, my nurse was amazing.
  • Options
    Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume her attitude about it all is just her way to deal with her grief that she is dying. I don't think she means to be offensive.
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    Don't worry, you'll see her no more. I reckon Haley comes back to the news that she's dead.
  • Options
    melloncollie06melloncollie06 Posts: 2,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AngiBear wrote: »
    I recognised the woman's husband, but can't think who he is?

Just answered my own question - he was Neville Ashworth in Hollyoaks!

and pete whitely in emmerdale :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    once again, just as in the 'racism' storyline, this is the writers hamfisted attempts at showing a cancer sufferer tying to live a normal-as-possible life.

could have been done tactfully. but theyve overegged the pudding.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,839
    Forum Member
    grauniad wrote: »
    Don't worry, you'll see her no more. I reckon Haley comes back to the news that she's dead.

I tend to agree, this will be the beginning of the end for Hayley too as it'll then become a stark reality that she's next.

Very odd behaviour from her though, Jane is it? I said she was like a kid counting down sleeps to Christmas. I expects she's got a Grim Reaper Stop Here sign outside her front door.
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    I find her very sexy. Very sexy indeed.
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume her attitude about it all is just her way to deal with her grief that she is dying. I don't think she means to be offensive.

This is what I keep saying
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm surprised how many people on here aren't grasping this. This woman - whose name I forget - is behaving as some people with a terminal illness do react. I recall a neighbour some years ago with terminal breast cancer who was relentlessly cheerful, almost to the extent that it was exhausting to be with her. Of course, it was denial and we all knew it.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    I'm surprised how many people on here aren't grasping this. This woman - whose name I forget - is behaving as some people with a terminal illness do react. I recall a neighbour some years ago with terminal breast cancer who was relentlessly cheerful, almost to the extent that it was exhausting to be with her. Of course, it was denial and we all knew it.

Absolutely.
  • Options
    rolergirlrolergirl Posts: 5,205
    Forum Member
    i couldnt believe her intrusive interogation about Hayley having kids- then the "oh so you had him out of wedlock then?" remark-who actually says such a thing in 2013, especially to someone youve known 5 minutes?
  • Options
    Forum Member

my mum had terminal cancer, and was tired, miserable, and depressed with a death sentence hanging over head, and at one point just begged to die , thats what i grasp from real life!
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    rolergirl wrote: »
    i couldnt believe her intrusive interogation about Hayley having kids- then the "oh so you had him out of wedlock then?" remark-who actually says such a thing in 2013, especially to someone youve known 5 minutes?
    That bit was odd, I thought at that point they were going to be reilgious nuts or something, trying to cure cancer through prayer or somesuch.

BTW the other night when hayley said she looked unwell - did she? i couldn't see it.
  • Options
    wwinterjwwinterj Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    She really annoys me. I find her constant jokes about dying a bit inappropriate and not funny. No wonder Roy didn't like her.

Most would find it unsettling when a person who has cancer or any illness for that matter can try and make a joke about it rather than dwell in self pity because the later is how most act when it comes to death. While I don't find the jokes funny I have to respect people who try to think positive when in a negative situation. If it helps them deal with the problems they have better then I can't hold that against them.

Everyone has different ways of dealing with things so it may not be great to be around people who are trying to be positive when you're feeling negative but on the other side of the coin maybe it's just the thing people need to try and lift their spirits a bit much like how Hayley is thinking when around her. .
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that was weird. Who uses that phrase in this day and age?
  • Options
    Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    She really annoys me. I find her constant jokes about dying a bit inappropriate and not funny. No wonder Roy didn't like her.

She's trying to fool her self by joking
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She isn't in denial either, she knows she's going to die. She's spending her last days on earth being happy
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my mum had terminal cancer, and was tired, miserable, and depressed with a death sentence hanging over head, and at one point just begged to die , thats what i grasp from real life!

That is my experience too, so sorry for your loss, I find the way the storyline is going just annoys me so much that I can't watch it. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TrishaS wrote: »
    That is my experience too, so sorry for your loss, I find the way the storyline is going just annoys me so much that I can't watch it. :(

thank you Trisha, I hate to feel cancer is being exploited just to make a sad exit for Hayley.
    another thing they tend to when someone has cancer is turn them into a saint like person, which is what theyve done to Hayley, shes so nice, its like they dont want to show any bad side effects from chemo or from depression, its very false, its almost like shes enjoying it.
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly rolergirl, my friend died of the same cancer and she just faded in front of our eyes, she could hardly move, never mind jig about like Hayley is doing.
    She was such a lively vital person before :(
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bobby_Marz wrote: »
    She's trying to fool her self by joking

I know why she's doing it, but I don't think it's fair she keeps saying those things in front of Hayley and Roy. She doesnt even know them that well. Not everyone copes with dying by telling jokes every five minutes!
  • Options
    ameredithameredith Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I understand Hayley hasn't started chemo yet that's why Roy takes her to Blackpool. When she starts to deteriorate I don't know if I will be able to watch it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

if she was just been relentlessly cheerful that would be understandable. it would be like a front... a way of distancing herself from what was really happening.

but its the constant references to her cancer in the flippant way she says it which is showing the way the writers have fallen down.

theres a difference between being in denial, and almost revelling in it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TrishaS wrote: »
    Exactly rolergirl, my friend died of the same cancer and she just faded in front of our eyes, she could hardly move, never mind jig about like Hayley is doing.
    She was such a lively vital person before :(

so sorry, xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Hayley chose not to have any chemo?

I knew someone who had pancreatic cancer. She just collapsed and died one day :(. She didn't even know she had it. I don't really want to give the full details because it's not my place