Options

Anyone done jury service?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 870
Forum Member
✭✭
How do people cope with this? Finding someone guilty and potentially ruing there life. Especially for something not serious.

Comments

• Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been summoned in March so I would be interested in finding out experiences of others on here.

I know being selected is random, but I also like to think that my posts on here have been read and someone has spotted how balanced and objective I can be :D
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do people cope with this? Finding someone guilty and potentially ruing there life. Especially for something not serious.

Well if they are guilty, it's their fault not the juries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if they are guilty, it's their fault not the juries.

I know but say for something like benefit fraud etc. they are going through hard times . You then give them a criminal record make their life worse etc
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know but say for something like benefit fraud etc. they are going through hard times . You then give them a criminal record make their life worse etc

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, did it many years ago at Southwark Crown Court.

One pathetically trivial case and one more interesting. I was foreman of the jury, and we found him innocent on a majority verdict. That was then. Now I think I would have interpreted the case differently.

There is a massive amount of messing about and time wasting. It gives an insight as to how laborious and inefficient the justice system is.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Yes, did it many years ago at Southwark Crown Court.

One pathetically trivial case and one more interesting. I was foreman of the jury, and we found him innocent on a majority verdict. That was then. Now I think I would have interpreted the case differently.

There is a massive amount of messing about and time wasting. It gives an insight as to how laborious and inefficient the justice system is.

Thank God I got out of mine .Pubic duty and all that - but heck , no way was I going to daily commutes to some distant Essex suburb.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You don't sound like a fit person to do jury service.

You must not find someone not guilty simply because you feel sorry for them.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband did it this summer. He sat on one case and spent most of the time hanging around in the café.
  • Options
    ThatGuy11200ThatGuy11200 Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on a jury once, wounding with intent and GBH with intent (two different people) with a samurai sword. We found him not guilty of wounding with intent but guilty of GBH with intent. Though thinking about it years later, he was probably not guilty on both counts.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I've managed to reach my 40s without getting called.

I wouldn't mind doing it actually - as long as it wasn't one of those six month fraud trials.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    My wife was summoned, but in the end 'got out of it'.

Not for any desire not to serve, but because the court didn't make it possible.

We had a young baby, and the court said we had to employ professional child minding to look after her - pay for it, then claim it back. If you've ever tried to find a decent child minder, particularly short term and for extended hours, you know how impossible that is.

Second, getting there - my wife doesn't drive, and they wouldn't pay for a taxi - insisting she used the bus. This would have meant four buses each way, and 2-3 hours travelling time each way (hence the need for extended hours child care).

In order to solve all the problems I offered to take the time off as a holiday, transport her there and back, and do the child care myself. We were told this wasn't possible, and they wouldn't pay a parent for providing childcare, although I could claim petrol expenses.

In the end we just told them "provide acceptable child care, sensible transport arrangements, or get stuffed" and left it with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't sound like a fit person to do jury service.

You must not find someone not guilty simply because you feel sorry for them.

Yes I can if I like
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I can if I like

Ofcourse you can't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I can if I like

So if all evidence points towards guilt and you think they did it (although perhaps with good reason), you would still say "innocent" because you felt sorry for them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ofcourse you can't.

Yep I can. Is up to me how I come to my decision
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helsie wrote: »
    So if all evidence points towards guilt and you think they did it (although perhaps with good reason), you would still say "innocent" because you felt sorry for them?

Yes if it was for something trivial
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If I ever get hauled up before judge and jury .... can I request you are one of the jurors. I am really good at acting pitiful.
  • Options
    AcornatiAcornati Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did it 8 years ago for a child abuse case. It was a horrible 2 weeks and I still think about it often even now. I'm positive the guy was guilty but I still think about how his life was changed forever by the decisions made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You know you really, really, really shouldn't be doing jury service.

This isn't a game show where you save someone because you like them.

The judge will explain this to all jury members before hand, and remind you of your responsibilities, Emotion must not come in to it.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    If I ever get hauled up before judge and jury .... can I request you are one of the jurors. I am really good at acting pitiful.

On one of the cases i sat on, one of the accused was really softly spoken and polite for the first two days and a few of the jurors really felt sorry for him. However, on the third day his mask slipped during questioning and he became really aggressive. It was like a totally different person was on trial.

Afterwards we were informed us of all the previous crimes he had committed. The list was quite long.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are completely unsuitable for jury service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    You are completely unsuitable for jury service.

No if it was a serious crime then I would base on the evidence but for something trivial like a student stealing a traffic cone I would find not guilty. What is the point of them having a criminal record for something so silly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know you really, really, really shouldn't be doing jury service.

This isn't a game show where you save someone because you like them.

The judge will explain this to all jury members before hand, and remind you of your responsibilities, Emotion must not come in to it.

Never said it was a game show.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No if it was a serious crime then I would base on the evidence but for something trivial like a student stealing a traffic cone I would find not guilty. What is the point of them having a criminal record for something so silly?

If you were on a Jury, you would be at Crown Court, and trivial matters such as that are not heard there.