Options

ipad found.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 836
Forum Member
✭✭
hi can anyone help me, recently a family member found an ipad and asked me to find any contact info. found out they are in iceland and as im in the uk im guessing it will cost a bit to send back. if i go into apple store with the contact info i have will they sort out sending it back to the owner? thanks for any replies

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Contact the owner and get them to pay the postage. I'm sure they'll be happy to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i did mention that it may cost a bit to send but they didnt offer to pay just said ok send soon as poss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get an estimate then contact the owner and ask outright if they'll cover it. If not, sure, hand it in to an Apple store, see what they do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Sorry read it wrong! ☺️☺️☺️
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    jojo07x wrote: »
    i did mention that it may cost a bit to send but they didnt offer to pay just said ok send soon as poss.

Find out how mch it'll be then get back in touch and tell them and ask if they're happy with that cost or will they arrange some other way of getting it back?
    You shouldn't be out of pocket for doing the right thing. They're lucky someone honest found it and didn't just pocket it.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Get an estimate then contact the owner and ask outright if they'll cover it. If not, sure, hand it in to an Apple store, see what they do.

what does the apple store have to do with it?
    if you found someone's designer handbag would you hand it in to the nearest shop that sells them?

if it's lost property then hand it in to the nearest police station.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    if you found someone's designer handbag would you hand it in to the nearest shop that sells them?

This, pretty much.

No way should you have to pay the cost of returning it. Tell the owner how much it's gonna cost and then make sure you get the money before posting. Or tell him to arrange collection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »

OP was the one who wanted to hand it in to the Apple store - I mentioned it along the lines of "if the owner isn't willing to pay for the return of their own iPad then, sure, hand it in to the Apple store... see what they do" (sarcastic tone at the end, maybe...) Some folk have a certain higher expectation from Apple than Louis Vuitton

Obviously the Police station would be the right choice - if the owner won't pay up then just say "Right, well then I'm not going out of pocket so I'm going to hand it in at my local Cop Shop, if you're not going to pay up or arrange a courier". Tell the bobbies that the owner's contact details are on the iPad and walk away with a clear conscience.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure they will cover the cost, just because they didn't mention it doesn't mean they won't. I'm guessing they will be very grateful. Get it packed and go to a post office to see how much it will cost then ask them to PayPal the amount to you before sending.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the other hand, you could just stump up the postage and in return you will have a the happy feeling of having done something very nice for a stranger.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    On the other hand, you could just stump up the postage and in return you will have a the happy feeling of having done something very nice for a stranger.

nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »

Going off a quick quote on ParcelMonkey (using weight and dimensions from the Apple website) and you're talking between £30 and £50 to ship it to Iceland... There's being nice and then there's being a mug...

The owner might already have claimed it on insurance, too, possibly...
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like OP has already claimed on the insurance. Hand it to the police with owners details.
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a novel thought................keep it!:p
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    Sounds like OP has already claimed on the insurance. Hand it to the police with owners details.

How would the OP claim on insurance? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would the OP claim on insurance? :confused:

I think c4rv meant the owner...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member

Personally I find this rather cheeky! In fact quite rude actually. Fair enough if it was going to cost a couple of quid, i wouldn't mind going out my way to return. But the time you paid for packaging and courier, maybe 30/40 quid. Just the attitude if this person not offering to pay for HIS laptop to be sent to HIM!
    The posts are prob right already claimed in insurance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest - It's a bit daft of the owner to not have password locked their iPad... or to have picked an easily guessed password...

Unless the OP found out their contact details some other way...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when i found it it wasnt locked so was able to get in and see there email address so i emailed them. when i went back on it displayed that find my device stuff. i have sent an email asking them to cover the price of sending it back. if they dont agree ill give it in to police and let the owner know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when i found it it wasnt locked so was able to get in and see there email address so i emailed them. when i went back on it displayed that find my device stuff. i have sent an email asking them to cover the price of sending it back. if they dont agree ill give it in to police and let the owner know.

I thought a family member had found it? Sorry, it's just very unusual for an iPad to be unlocked... unless, as I said, the owner didn't set it up to lock after a certain time period, which is just daft on their part.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well when they found it then. was just easier saying when i.... well it was unlocked, and now its not so when i turned it on and connected to wifi it must of sent a message to the owner or whatever and now they have locked it.
  • Options
    ih8mondaysih8mondays Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they had claimed it on their insurance, would that mean the iPad is now the insurance companies property?!
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nearest cop shop...then forget about it
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    Easy: email them with the costs re P&P and some evidence, and if they dont want o pay up then hand it in at the local police station where they would be welcome to pick it up in person, if its in Iceland then a return ticket will cost more than the postage fees.
  • Options
    John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBH, I can't imagine the cops spending too much time returning it to Iceland.....

Which if you think about it could be to your benefit.

Hand it in, make sure you give your details and in 6 months, if its not claimed, its legally yours.

(unless some one in the cop shop steals it first as has been known in the past)