Assassins Creed : Unity

SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://whatculture.com/gaming/assassins-creed-unity-10-past-mistakes-must-avoid.php

I'd agree with most of these points.

Hopefully Ubisoft will take heed.

Comments

• jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it's not going back to the old formula.

Black flag was incredibly enjoyable with the inclusion of the jack daw and been able to clear off and sail and fight for as long as you felt like.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://whatculture.com/gaming/assassins-creed-unity-10-past-mistakes-must-avoid.php

I'd agree with most of these points.

Hopefully Ubisoft will take heed.

Can we make this the official AC Unity thread?

Read that article yesterday and agree with a lot of it but
    I don't understand why people are so concerned with the protagonist personality. My only concern is that the protagonist is a) an assassin b) is all about the creed.

Yes, I want an Assassin's Creed game. That's the premise Ubisoft sold me on and that's what I want to continue with. Initially, the purpose of the historical/political time periods was always to put the self contained story and mechanics in a new context each time. Now it's become the actual point of the game which doesn't sit well with me.
    I don't want pirates or other historical gimmicks, I don't want to see British versus Americans. The primary conflict should always be between the Assassins and the Templars.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Can we make this the official AC Unity thread?

Read that article yesterday and agree with a lot of it but
    I don't understand why people are so concerned with the protagonist personality. My only concern is that the protagonist is a) an assassin b) is all about the creed.

Yes, I want an Assassin's Creed game. That's the premise Ubisoft sold me on and that's what I want to continue with. Initially, the purpose of the historical/political time periods was always to put the self contained story and mechanics in a new context each time. Now it's become the actual point of the game which doesn't sit well with me.
    I don't want pirates or other historical gimmicks, I don't want to see British versus Americans. The primary conflict should always be between the Assassins and the Templars.

Yes, there was another thread which I tried searching for but it appears to have dropped off the board.

I think the protagonist is quite important to the enjoyability of the game. It can become a bit of a chore of you think the character you're playing is a bit of a nob.

With Connor it didn't help that you got to play as Haytham first who was in many peoples eyes a far better character.

I like historical time periods but I do agree that the Assassins / Templar conflict seems to have become a bit of a side story.

The French Revolution theme looks like it's going to be good. I'm hoping that it'll lead into the following game being set in the Napoleonic period.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we please get rid of the boring sea-battles? I know it is subjective but I actually gave up playing Black Flag as I couldn't be bothered about learning how to win the sea battles.

Assassin's Creed has always been about taking out the next target. They got it completely right in Assassin's Creed 2 but then dropped the ball with the boring wilderness stuff in AC3 and the pointless and boring Jackdaw stuff in AC4.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The stealth is the most important thing for me. It ruins the game if it's like it is in AC3. They should just take the stealth from Watch Dogs and put it in all AC games from now on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, there was another thread which I tried searching for but it appears to have dropped off the board.

I think the protagonist is quite important to the enjoyability of the game. It can become a bit of a chore of you think the character you're playing is a bit of a nob.

Could you elaborate? I've heard this so many times from gamers and it baffles me. For me personally a protagonist's personality doesn't register with me because their personality more often than not doesn't affect the game play itself.
    I like historical time periods but I do agree that the Assassins / Templar conflict seems to have become a bit of a side story. The French Revolution theme looks like it's going to be good. I'm hoping that it'll lead into the following game being set in the Napoleonic period.

Agree, I'm optimistic for this one I just hope it isn't an origin story. I want an assassin not some random kid who gets caught in the crossfire.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could you elaborate? I've heard this so many times from gamers and it baffles me. For me personally a protagonist's personality doesn't register with me because their personality more often than not doesn't affect the game play itself.

The main character does effect the story though, a good lead character can elevate the story. AC3 had a dud character which hampered my enjoyment of the story, this was made worse because the elements of the game were you played as Haythem was much more interesting and so those parts of the story were more exciting to follow.

For me Assassins Creed is about free running in an open world environment. As long as that element remains I will enjoy the games. But the character is one element that can make one AC game better than another for me. I enjoyed the wilderness, hunting, building the homestead and the sailing missions in AC3 and yet it is probably the AC game I have least fond memories off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    The main character does effect the story though, a good lead character can elevate the story. AC3 had a dud character which hampered my enjoyment of the story, this was made worse because the elements of the game were you played as Haythem was much more interesting and so those parts of the story were more exciting to follow.

For me Assassins Creed is about free running in an open world environment. As long as that element remains I will enjoy the games. But the character is one element that can make one AC game better than another for me. I enjoyed the wilderness, hunting, building the homestead and the sailing missions in AC3 and yet it is probably the AC game I have least fond memories off.

Totally agree, without an interesting character and story the game itself will suffer.

AC3 really suffered becasue of the main character being so uninteresting while at the same time the game had given a perfectly new and interesting character to play as in Haytham then took him away.

From the looks of it Unity will feature four characters, no idea yet if this will be a GTA V style switching between characters (it would make getting across the map quicker and set up some big assassination jobs with four people working towards one goal)
    but as long as it stays true to the free running and open exploration then it will be a good game in any case.

As long as you are not forced to work with other playes online to do a mission, sorry no offense to other playes but some people can be jerks and could screw up a mission or drop out whenever they feel like it while ruin the mission for everyone else involved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tombigbee wrote: »
    The stealth is the most important thing for me. It ruins the game if it's like it is in AC3. They should just take the stealth from Watch Dogs and put it in all AC games from now on.

Really? Watch Dogs owes a lot to AC not the other way around. just look at the cover animiation, its practically the same even up to the camera angle used as well as most of the other movements such as climbing/vaulting.

I found the stealth mechanics in WD to be at times frustrating and clumsy just like the driving but hold alot of promise and hope that we start to see a kind of sharing of experiences of what works/what doesnt in the between the two franchies in the same way that GTA V shares mechanics that appeared in red dead / max payne etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree, I'm optimistic for this one I just hope it isn't an origin story. I want an assassin not some random kid who gets caught in the crossfire.

I think for a lot of us the gameplay and story are just as important.
    In AC games it becomes even more important because of all of the cutscenes and complicated storyline. Connors character just seemed very uninspiring especially when compared to Haytham. He was also some random kid caught in the crossfire. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as you are not forced to work with other playes online to do a mission, sorry no offense to other playes but some people can be jerks and could screw up a mission or drop out whenever they feel like it while ruin the mission for everyone else involved.

For me its not just people that grief others that is a problem. I am predominantly a single player gamer and when I start a mission like assassinating someone I like to approach it my way, take out the guards I feel are necessary to achieve my goal the way I want. I don't want to be forced to work with someone who might have another idea about how to approach that missions. I am very happy to see this added as an optional side event as I really like co-op but I don't want to see it in the core of the game which for me should be single player.

The idea of multiple characters is a good one that worked well in GTA5 and I would be interested to see something like that tried out in the AC world. Of course the multiple characters could just be like AC3 which had Connor, Haythem and Desmond. It would be interesting if the story was told over 4 generations of a family.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? Watch Dogs owes a lot to AC not the other way around. just look at the cover animiation, its practically the same even up to the camera angle used as well as most of the other movements such as climbing/vaulting.

Nah, the stealth in Watchdogs is definitely better than AC imo. The stealth in AC is too unrealistic and rigid - there's a certain route the game forces you to take to avoid detection. Watchdogs allows you to create your own scenarios and really use the environment to your advantage. Those gang hide out missions are superb.
    From the looks of it Unity will feature four characters, no idea yet if this will be a GTA V style switching between characters (it would make getting across the map quicker and set up some big assassination jobs with four people working towards one goal)

If at least one of them isn't a female character I will lose it. This the PERFECT opportunity for some diversity.

None taken. I rarely play multiplayer but the nightmare stories I've heard regarding people's behaviour online is enough to keep me away for good.
    I think for a lot of us the gameplay and story are just as important. In AC games it becomes even more important because of all of the cutscenes and complicated storyline. Connors character just seemed very uninspiring especially when compared to Haytham. He was also some random kid caught in the crossfire. :D

See, the story for me is almost as important as the game play but I think that's largely to do with the plot itself rather than the character. I maintain that the reason Connor sucked is because he felt like he was on his own path. He wore the hood but he never felt like he was a part of the Assassins or had any respect for the creed like Ezio, Aveline, Altair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T

This has been my fear ever since they introduced the wolfpack mode, it would ruin the game for me if they made it co-op, its about YOU as the player getting involved in historic events not a group of interchangeable assassin's

Can you imagine if Assassin's Creed II wasn't just about Ezio but also about Harry and Sally two assassin's that just tag along for a laugh

That said if the Singleplayer/storymode works 100% on your own and you get 100% on the DNA string on your own but you have the option to invite others in for a mission or two then that could work, I just want to play alone though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me its not just people that grief others that is a problem. I am predominantly a single player gamer and when I start a mission like assassinating someone I like to approach it my way, take out the guards I feel are necessary to achieve my goal the way I want. I don't want to be forced to work with someone who might have another idea about how to approach that missions. I am very happy to see this added as an optional side event as I really like co-op but I don't want to see it in the core of the game which for me should be single player.

The idea of multiple characters is a good one that worked well in GTA5 and I would be interested to see something like that tried out in the AC world. Of course the multiple characters could just be like AC3 which had Connor, Haythem and Desmond. It would be interesting if the story was told over 4 generations of a family.

I think thats the problem overall, the fact that with four different players trying to accomplish the same goal will lead to four different ways of doing things unless your all friends before hand and are happy to agree how your going to go about handling that mission.

I would say for the most part I have had positive experiences online but there has been the odd few times where other playes have gone out of their way to spoil.ruin/bully the game/match/race/co-op etc.

I read an interesting article on Eurogamer a few weeks ago where one of the journos met up with a self confessed "internet troll" and was left sickened by the experience and total lack of empathy towards other players (and humanity in general).

I liked AC:R where in a round about kind of way Altair got to interact with Ezio and by extension Desmond with the "ancient keys" and "apple of eden".

I would like to be able to do more of this kind of interaction across the various timelines with assassins at different points in time or possibly even follow a story across generations in a similar manner to the nic cage film "national treasure" with the story following the attempts at different times by members of the same family to locate an ancient treasure or some other macguffin.

I dont mind that there are possibly four playable characters in AC:U, it could be an interesting way to tell the story of the french revolution rather than through the eyes of one assassin who just so happened to be at all the most important times in history...and met famous people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See, the story for me is almost as important as the game play but I think that's largely to do with the plot itself rather than the character. I maintain that the reason Connor sucked is because he felt like he was on his own path. He wore the hood but he never felt like he was a part of the Assassins or had any respect for the creed like Ezio, Aveline, Altair.

Connor was a selfish prick so he didn't care about the creed only pursuing his own interests.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Connor was a selfish prick so he didn't care about the creed only pursuing his own interests.

The good guys want his land, the bad guys want his land, his father is a bad guy, his mother is killed before his eyes and he doesn't have the strength to save her, the people he ends up working are responsible for his mothers death, he ends up killing his best friend

I'm sure the first thing you'd worry about in that situation is a creed you have only just learned about

I maintain and I know its not a popular opinion, Connor was played perfectly for the story he was apart of, Sure Ezio lost family as well and he managed to get over it and be charming but then again Ezio still had his sister, mother and uncle as well as a giant Villa and a huge brotherhood of assassin's to help him, Connor on the otherhand had Achilles and that was it, he went so far as to invite people to the homestead just to try and make friends, Connor had nothing left so why would he care about the Assassin's or Templars and not just about what he wants
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    The good guys want his land, the bad guys want his land, his father is a bad guy, his mother is killed before his eyes and he doesn't have the strength to save her, the people he ends up working are responsible for his mothers death, he ends up killing his best friend

I'm sure the first thing you'd worry about in that situation is a creed you have only just learned about

I maintain and I know its not a popular opinion, Connor was played perfectly for the story he was apart of, Sure Ezio lost family as well and he managed to get over it and be charming but then again Ezio still had his sister, mother and uncle as well as a giant Villa and a huge brotherhood of assassin's to help him, Connor on the otherhand had Achilles and that was it, he went so far as to invite people to the homestead just to try and make friends, Connor had nothing left so why would he care about the Assassin's or Templars and not just about what he wants

Unfortunately the story made little sense by the end. He'd spent the whole game hating all those he deemed responsible for his mothers death and the destruction of the village to the extent of wanting revenge and killing them all. When it turned out Washington was behind it his reaction was oh well never mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, the graphics and colours are amazing! That's it, I'm buying a PS4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2l96w7tw5s

Main protagonist reminds me of Altair both in clothing and the way he moves through crowds. Not keen on the British accents though...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, the graphics and colours are amazing! That's it, I'm buying a PS4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2l96w7tw5s

Main protagonist reminds me of Altair both in clothing and the way he moves through crowds. Not keen on the British accents though...

I'm liking what I see.

Definitely picking up an Xbox One before this game comes out so I can get assassinating some Frenchies.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks amazing but some people are suggesting the multiplayer is obligatory . Surely not ? They'd lose loads of sales if so :(
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    Gameplay from the Ubisoft conference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns_HWrK4BPI

It looks stunning and reminds me of the good old days trekking around Italy, on a grander scale. It helps that I like this period of history as much as I did that. I hope the co-op stuff is optional, not keen on relying on others. I prefer to do my own thing, which is mainly keeping notoriety at a minimum at ALL times!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Co-op is optional, during the second gameplay reveal during the Ubisoft conference it seemed like he was doing the entire mission alone and then other people joined at the end
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I think the Co-op is optional, during the second gameplay reveal during the Ubisoft conference it seemed like he was doing the entire mission alone and then other people joined at the end

I'm wondering if the way it works is there's you and 3 other Assassins the whole time but when it's only you playing the others are AI controlled, maybe you have some control over them to order them around so they don't just go round doing their own thing.

Then it would be the same if there were 2 players then the other 2 would be AI or if there were 3 players the remaining one would be AI.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if the way it works is there's you and 3 other Assassins the whole time but when it's only you playing the others are AI controlled, maybe you have some control over them to order them around so they don't just go round doing their own thing.

Then it would be the same if there were 2 players then the other 2 would be AI or if there were 3 players the remaining one would be AI.
    That's what I was thinking . I hope this is the case . Also hope the AI isn't too annoying as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The demo on at the Ubisoft conference look amazing. I am really looking forward to this game. I am such a sucker for this franchise that Unity was the best thing on show so far for me at E3.

I am all for adding a coop experience to the game as long as I can continue to enjoy the game in a single player environment as well so I really hope UBiSoft have properly thought this through.