People who dont give a hoot about others :(

1235»

Comments

• tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Some people near us have rented out a cottage to a young couple who are renting for the first time so can't give references from previous landlords. They don't work so can't give references from employers.

They have been in the property about a year and it's gone from looking quite presentable to looking like a dump. They don't know how to pull weeds up, how to clear up their dogs mess, how to put rubbish bins out on the correct day, how to hang curtains up ..... An old quilt cover is used as a curtain.

They can't afford oil for the heating so the house is now freezing cold and has mould.
    Since they don't work I imagine the DSS pay their rent etc.
    I would dread renting out my property to anybody like that.

Well the DSS, has not been around for years, Its the DWP now and housing benefit is paid by the local council, and saying more working people than ever before are on housing benefits, your thoughts are why out of date. To give you some idea 1 in 4 housholds in london are claiming housing benefit. Housing benefit is not only for unemployed people, it covers working people, unemployed, and pensioners
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Well the DSS, has not been around for years, Its the DWP now and housing benefit is paid by the local council, and saying more working people than ever before are on housing benefits, your thoughts are why out of date. To give you some idea 1 in 4 housholds in london are claiming housing benefit. Housing benefit is not only for unemployed people, it covers working people, unemployed, and pensioners

I have no dealings with DSS/DWP/councils so it's no surprise I got that wrong. The fact remains that as they don't work someone somewhere is paying for their rent and everything else they need.

It's not that there are no jobs here, they just don't want to work. There are shops here advertising for staff, a seafood factory advertising and work on the land picking vegetables etc. These jobs are within walking distance of their house. Because they are covered in piercings and tattoos and look filthy they have made themselves unemployable. I'm sure they know that though.;-)
    Forum Member
    I have no dealings with DSS/DWP/councils so it's no surprise I got that wrong. The fact remains that as they don't work someone somewhere is paying for their rent and everything else they need.

It's not that there are no jobs here, they just don't want to work. There are shops here advertising for staff, a seafood factory advertising and work on the land picking vegetables etc. These jobs are within walking distance of their house. Because they are covered in piercings and tattoos and look filthy they have made themselves unemployable. I'm sure they know that though.;-)

To be getting benefits they must be doing what the government is telling them to do, or they would have thier benefits stopped that is how the system works, tattoos and piercings dont make people unemployable, millions of working people in the uk have piercings and tattoos. You are doing the typical stereotyping. And if they are such bad tenants why are they still there. Thier rent is paid to them and they pass it on too the landlord, so looks like they are honest enough to be paying thier rent.
  • morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    I've yet to meet a landlord that gives a damn about tenants, or even the property they rent out. It's the absolute bare minimum they can get away with doing.

As an example last week I did a landlord safety cert on a boiler. It had a broken time-clock so they were having to go outside into the garage everything morning/night to switch the boiler on and off. Had the part on me and offered to fit it for £65, he said better leave it for another day (meaning never,and leaving me to explain the landlords to tight to pay 10% of your monthly rent to fix it).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've yet to meet a landlord that gives a damn about tenants, or even the property they rent out. It's the absolute bare minimum they can get away with doing.

As an example last week I did a landlord safety cert on a boiler. It had a broken time-clock so they were having to go outside into the garage everything morning/night to switch the boiler on and off. Had the part on me and offered to fit it for £65, he said better leave it for another day (meaning never,and leaving me to explain the landlords to tight to pay 10% of your monthly rent to fix it).

There are good and bad landlords just as there are good and bad tenants.

We have some lovely tenants in a house we rent out. They have been there over 3 years now and we have never put their rent up in that time. They love the house and the lady of the house is a fanatical cleaner so the house is beautifully kept.

In all the time they've been in there, they have only had a couple of problems which have been sorted the SAME day. One was a prob with the double glazed front door dropping slightly, another was the ballcock. Before they moved in we had the whole place done out with new carpets and the kitchen and conservatory with tiles and wood flooring. The house was all decorated in neutral tones. We had cavity wall and loft insulation done and the whole place is double glazed so it's very warm and cozy. We all installed all new white goods so everything was perfect for them.

They're great tenants and we are great landlords and we are lucky to have found each other.:)
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My daughter's last landlord was great he knew he had a good tenet and wanted to keep her.

This one isnt so great so bare minimum it is.

BUT! the great news is
    , his parents are loaning them the money in cash and no interest! :o
    So they will probably be buying the house and as tenants they already know the problems with the house and can knock the buyer down.

So yay for happy endings. if it all goes through
    Forum Member
    My daughter's last landlord was great he knew he had a good tenet and wanted to keep her.

BUT! the great news is
    So they will probably be buying the house and as tenants they already know the problems with the house and can knock the buyer down.

Hope this works out because it will solve thier long term problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BUT! the great news is

Wow, they are one very lucky couple!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Hope this works out because it will solve thier long term problems.
    Wow, they are one very lucky couple!

Thank you. Its amazing. They are very lucky.
  • eva_prioreva_prior Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BUT! the great news is

An excellent 'BUT' !

Good to hear that this cloud revealed a silver lining.
  • DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people near us have rented out a cottage to a young couple who are renting for the first time so can't give references from previous landlords. They don't work so can't give references from employers.

They have been in the property about a year and it's gone from looking quite presentable to looking like a dump. They don't know how to pull weeds up, how to clear up their dogs mess, how to put rubbish bins out on the correct day, how to hang curtains up ..... An old quilt cover is used as a curtain.

They can't afford oil for the heating so the house is now freezing cold and has mould.

I'm people like that. I am or was a professional but was bullied in the workplace and lost my job. I'm highly intelligent and educated. However, the landlord could help and provide curtains. On benefits, you cannot afford curtains. Nor can you afford heating. I am working but it's a low paid job and I still can't afford heating. I have to share a property with a dole dosser who hasn't worked in nearly ten years and have to share an electricity and gas supply with him which is by prepayment meter. He is not paying his way and has burned though the money I have put on. He won't pay and I simply cannot afford any more money. I am out at work all day while he is in the house sat on his arse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm people like that. I am or was a professional but was bullied in the workplace and lost my job. I'm highly intelligent and educated. However, the landlord could help and provide curtains. On benefits, you cannot afford curtains. Nor can you afford heating. I am working but it's a low paid job and I still can't afford heating. I have to share a property with a dole dosser who hasn't worked in nearly ten years and have to share an electricity and gas supply with him which is by prepayment meter. He is not paying his way and has burned though the money I have put on. He won't pay and I simply cannot afford any more money. I am out at work all day while he is in the house sat on his arse.

Why do you have to share electric/ gas with a stranger?

Dont put anymore money in find other means of looking after you.

Ask on freecycle for a calor gas heater and camping gas stove, camping lamps etc and keep them in your room. in fact ask on advice for other things you can do.

I know you can run some TVs off a car battery.

Hope you get it sorted
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The issue is explained in yr first line. Although you are always at risk of dirty tenants people who've left the busom of Mum & Dad for the first time are more likely to be messy as they don't understand the notion of either owning a home, or the fact that they need to be respectfulof another persons property.. In all probability theyve prob gone through life with someone else cleaning up their mess & they don't even think about it. Learning to be a good tenants is a process, some never learn it.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughter privately rents with her partner and two small children.

She move into a house around 6mths ago and was led to believe it would be a long term rent as she hates moving so that was important to her.

She was rung up Tuesday by the letting agents saying the owner was thinking about selling but probably wouldn't , but they need to come and measure up and take photos etc. that was done today and they just phoned to say they have viewings this weekend. Its already on the market. :o

She is in tears and never cries. Planing Christmas and birthdays one moment then having to look for a new rental the next and have to keep the house presentable at all times for viewings.

Spent lots of money on the place.. only one mth ago she had a fitted cupboard hand made to fit over a the electric meters and fuse box as it only had a old bit of wood there that easy came away and was a bit dangerous with the little ones, The landlady let her do that on the understanding that if she ever moved then it would stay >:( and then is selling it from under her feet.

What are you experiences of people who dont get a hoot about others?

This is the reality of renting. Its always a risk. I don't understand the shock to be honest. Rest assured a sale won't come through straight away so she'll probably have at least 2-3 months before she has to move giving her plenty of time to find somewhere else.
    This is part & parcel of the renting experience, there's never any security.

As for fixing up a house out of your own money & the landlord not paying for it...i bet the landlords very grateful! Learn from this experience & don't get taken for a mug next time!
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    There are good and bad landlords just as there are good and bad tenants.

We have some lovely tenants in a house we rent out. They have been there over 3 years now and we have never put their rent up in that time. They love the house and the lady of the house is a fanatical cleaner so the house is beautifully kept.

In all the time they've been in there, they have only had a couple of problems which have been sorted the SAME day. One was a prob with the double glazed front door dropping slightly, another was the ballcock. Before they moved in we had the whole place done out with new carpets and the kitchen and conservatory with tiles and wood flooring. The house was all decorated in neutral tones. We had cavity wall and loft insulation done and the whole place is double glazed so it's very warm and cozy. We all installed all new white goods so everything was perfect for them.

They're great tenants and we are great landlords and we are lucky to have found each other.:)

Sums it up really.