Options

Good actors, forgettable/bad soap characters

NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone have any examples of this? Usually when a character is bad, the actor tends to be weak, take Charlie Clapham as Freddie Roscoe in Hollyoaks.

For me the one that stands out is Michelle Ang as Lori Lee in Neighbours. I loved her in The Tribe from back in the day and she is a good actress. But she was wasted as Lori. Started off as a plot device to get Jack Scully and Nina Tucker together (they've now broken up!), she was paralysed for a while then had a fling with Connor and later returned with his child.

Comments

• Options
    grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In hollyoaks I think Ruby O Donell is one of the best soap child actors but her character whiny, petulant, fickle child on all the soaps it's really irritating to watch.
  • Options
    ZebstrikerZebstriker Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sue Johnstone / Gloria Price
  • Options
    Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zoe Lucker as Vanessa Gold in EE. Not a bad character but definitely forgettable unless she comes back in the near future for a better stint. If Vanessa is remembered at all it'll only be for the "Bubbly's in the fridge" meltdown.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Otis Hill wrote: »
    Zoe Lucker as Vanessa Gold in EE. Not a bad character but definitely forgettable unless she comes back in the near future for a better stint. If Vanessa is remembered at all it'll only be for the "Bubbly's in the fridge" meltdown.

She's on Hollyoaks now :(
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    I still think that mandy in coronation street is possibly one of the worst characters in the shows history, and boy she's had some competition
  • Options
    _BollyKnickers__BollyKnickers_ Posts: 4,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Megan Macey

I love Gaynor Faye, but Megan is a bit 'meh'.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zebstriker wrote: »
    Sue Johnstone / Gloria Price

Gloria was a massive failure- I wonder why as Sue Johnston is a good actress.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimi Mistry as the late Kal in Coronation St is one that stands out to me. A totally bland character, who's instantly forgettable.

Another one is John Michie. I loved him in Taggart but I really didn't find him believable as Karl in Corrie.
  • Options
    demented yoyodemented yoyo Posts: 4,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Lucy. I liked him in The Bill and Hollyoaks but thought he was awful during his time in EastEnders.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jimi Mistry as the late Kal in Coronation St is one that stands out to me. A totally bland character, who's instantly forgettable.

Another one is John Michie. I loved him in Taggart but I really didn't find him believable as Karl in Corrie.

Jimi Mistry was really good in East Is East, but his characters in Corrie (Kal Nazir) and Eastenders (Dr Foneseca) were just meh. Maybe soaps aren't his strong point, despite being a good actor.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimi Mistry was really good in East Is East, but his characters in Corrie (Kal Nazir) and Eastenders (Dr Foneseca) were just meh. Maybe soaps aren't his strong point, despite being a good actor.
    Possibly. I also thought he was good in East is East and really funny in The Guru, so maybe films are his thing not soaps.
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with the above!

Sue Johnstone was wasted in Corrie as Gloria, the characterisation for her was SO wrong it was never gonna work.

Megan Macey, another waste, she had potential to be amazing.

Zoe Lucker, Vanessa Gold is pretty legendary for her meltdown but not much else.

I think Anna Passey is wasted as Sienna on HO now, they went too far. Wonderful actress though.

Claire King as Erica in CS. Can't bear the character, love the actress
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    craig_25 wrote: »
    Agree with the above!

Sue Johnstone was wasted in Corrie as Gloria, the characterisation for her was SO wrong it was never gonna work.

Megan Macey, another waste, she had potential to be amazing.

Zoe Lucker, Vanessa Gold is pretty legendary for her meltdown but not much else.

I think Anna Passey is wasted as Sienna on HO now, they went too far. Wonderful actress though.

Claire King as Erica in CS. Can't bear the character, love the actress

Agree with all of these.

I would add Rhona in Emmerdale. Zoe Henry is a really good actress but the character is just pointless.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott Maslen: great in The Bill, so-so in 'Enders.

Got to agree with the posts regarding Sue Johnston and Jimi Mistry.
  • Options
    LilyBLilyB Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    Kierston Wareing is a good actress who was completely wasted as Max's latest shag.
  • Options
    LeonalewisJfanLeonalewisJfan Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephanie Davis / Sinead O'Connor [Hollyoaks]
    Jazmine Frankes / Esther Bloom [Hollyoaks - not a bad character, but underused/not essential to any SL's]