Options

The European and World Football Thread

Comments

• Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Well done Atletico. If the media thought it will be a two-horse race for La Liga title this season, Atletico just gave them a reminder by winning the Super Cup.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    It's basically the Spanish community shield..
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    O'Neill wrote: »
    It's basically the Spanish community shield..

Played over 2 legs with all available first teamers playing. Much bigger than the Community Shield.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Played over 2 legs with all available first teamers playing. Much bigger than the Community Shield.

Both are basically pre season, rivalry aside I doubt the Real Madrid players will lose much sleep over it. The only difference for me is that it's over two legs, hardly much bigger it's basically the same competition, league winners v cup winners before the season starts.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two legs make it twice as long as the Community Shield, but that's about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Is anybody watching Roma v Fiorentina?

Ashley Cole is looking nice and comfy in this game, he has won the ball really well, he will be a hit over in Italy, im sure of it.
    I fancy Roma for the league, I doubt Juventus will be as good under Allegri than they were with Conte, I think ot could bridge the gap. Plus if Man Utd can get a deal done for Vidal.
    Totti is almost 38 and has been allover the pitch! he has been superb. he has looked after himself well
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totti is just incredible! There are no other words for it. Very glad Roma won and I pray they win the league, but Juve weren't looking bad at all and it looks like Vidal is staying.

In other news, Conte dropped Balo. ;( Quite incredible considering that he's the most talented striker (maybe even player with Pirlo nearing retirement) Italy have at the moment.

Bayern failed to win. Matthäus has spoken out against the Alonso signing. To allow Kroos to leave and then pay Alonso basically the salary Kroos demanded (and was refused) is madness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    Totti is just incredible! There are no other words for it. Very glad Roma won and I pray they win the league, but Juve weren't looking bad at all and it looks like Vidal is staying.

In other news, Conte dropped Balo. ;( Quite incredible considering that he's the most talented striker (maybe even player with Pirlo nearing retirement) Italy have at the moment.

Bayern failed to win. Matthäus has spoken out against the Alonso signing. To allow Kroos to leave and then pay Alonso basically the salary Kroos demanded (and was refused) is madness.

Thats a very good point. Alonso is a superb footballer, ive seen him play many times, albeit a few year ago but now you have said Kroos, it does seem a tiny bit strange.
    If im honest, I don't like Guardiola, theres just summat about him that I don't like,
    I think he lets things run abit stale.
    Bayern Munich got battered by Madrid in that semi-final and I just can't see where Guardiola is bridging that gap? Or building for the future.
    They can't rely on Robben and Ribery, Sweinsteiger forever.
    It isnt completely broken and there no need for massive change. I have this gut feeling Guardiola is using them and then will do one to somewhere else and leave Bayern Munich in a pickle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darreldo wrote: »
    Thats a very good point. Alonso is a superb footballer, ive seen him play many times, albeit a few year ago but now you have said Kroos, it does seem a tiny bit strange.
    If im honest, I don't like Guardiola, theres just summat about him that I don't like,
    I think he lets things run abit stale.
    Bayern Munich got battered by Madrid in that semi-final and I just can't see where Guardiola is bridging that gap? Or building for the future.
    They can't rely on Robben and Ribery, Sweinsteiger forever.
    It isnt completely broken and there no need for massive change. I have this gut feeling Guardiola is using them and then will do one to somewhere else and leave Bayern Munich in a pickle.

I don't expect Bayern to do well in Europe this season. Selling Kroos was crazy in my view and you are right that their core players are ageing.

Pep is nowhere near as entertaining as Mourinho and I feel like he's still a Barca man through and through. I can't picture him at Bayern long term.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't expect Bayern to do well in Europe this season. Selling Kroos was crazy in my view and you are right that their core players are ageing.

Pep is nowhere near as entertaining as Mourinho and I feel like he's still a Barca man through and through. I can't picture him at Bayern long term.

I completely agree with you. I think Guardiola is using them. You don't win the league by luck but Guardiola had a great squad to work with and a good chance to add to his CV.
    I can see him leaving. I think he got out of Barcelona before he had to re-build Xavi, Puyol,
    I feel he may do the same at Bayern and leave it to somebody else.
    I like his style of football and its very successful, Like you say, he doesn't strike me as though he is in for the long haul.
    Robben, Ribery, Lahm, Alonso, Dante, Reina, Sweinsteiger. all in their 30's and the 1st team, bar Reina.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solid draw for inter but 532 where wingbacks refuse to cross is pretty crazy!
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Real have decimated their midfield to accommodate the signing of James, Modric and Kroos are not holding players, they are best utilised further forward in attacking roles, but Real don't have anyone to do the dirty work, or the unglamorous work to allow the players further forward to do their stuff.

Fantastic win by the Spanish champions though, the balance of power has shifted from white, to red and and white in the city.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Real's sales of Alonso and Di Maria were as crazy as Bayer's sale of Kroos. Wtf were they thinking?! They should sell Ronaldo next and be done with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Real's sales of Alonso and Di Maria were as crazy as Bayer's sale of Kroos. Wtf were they thinking?! They should sell Ronaldo next and be done with it.

I can't see Ronaldo staying there for much longer, perhaps this season will be his last there, as he has one chance left to get one huge payday (not that either him or Mendes needs the extra cash, but who would turn down the chance anyway?).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see Ronaldo staying there for much longer, perhaps this season will be his last there, as he has one chance left to get one huge payday (not that either him or Mendes needs the extra cash, but who would turn down the chance anyway?).

Well, a few great players have turned down money to stay at clubs they loved, but it looks like there is something majorly wrong at Real this season. I just can't understand the thinking behind selling Di Maria - probably the best player in the world in his position - and Alonso who was their most important player in the back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, a few great players have turned down money to stay at clubs they loved, but it looks like there is something majorly wrong at Real this season. I just can't understand the thinking behind selling Di Maria - probably the best player in the world in his position - and Alonso who was their most important player in the back.

I don't think Ronaldo loves Real, so I don't see why he would stay there if they are not improving their team or showing him enough love.

As a club they have made some seriously stupid moves this summer, which have most likely already cost them a top two place in the league, and will have a huge effect on their chances of retaining their Champions League title (which I don't think that they will be able to do).

All this just so that their president can show off a couple if shiny new toys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the fact that Ronaldo openly criticised the sale of Di Maria indicates that cracks are beginning to show in his relationship with the club.
  • Options
    JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    If you didn't catch the Parma/Milan game you've missed one of the games of the weekend. 4-5 and two red cards, mental.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inzaghi is one of the last players I would have expected to become manager, and what a team to try out on - AC Milan! But he is proving me wrong. He is doing very well.
  • Options
    robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    If you didn't catch the Parma/Milan game you've missed one of the games of the weekend. 4-5 and two red cards, mental.

Agreed excellent game.

I had a bet on over 6 goals at very good odds so can't imagine how long the odds for 9 goals would've been.

Was also on the same bet for Inter beating sassuolo 7-0.

Loving the Italian league this weekend :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Inter also beat Sassuolo by a big margin last season?
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »

It was a cracker of a game, worth watching just for Menez's winner, and the ridiculous own goal for Parma's 4th :D
  • Options
    robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Inter also beat Sassuolo by a big margin last season?

I believe so.

Sassuolo always give it a go, I enjoy watching them as they'll either pull off an upset or get tonked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robborocks wrote: »
    I believe so.

Sassuolo always give it a go, I enjoy watching them as they'll either pull off an upset or get tonked.

They (Sassulo) have the best goal nets that I have seen in a while, as they are curved if I am not mistaken! :blush:
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inter beat them 7-0 away last season.