Mis-pronunciations that irritate you

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This - absolutely. I try and tell people that accept is the noun and except is the verb....to no avail.

Eh? Neither is a noun :confused:

Accept is a verb, and Except is usually a conjunction, although can also be used as a verb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Carry-o-kee instead of kah-ra-oh-keh (karaoke).

It's mostly commonly accepted now for some reason, but pronouncing it that way makes no sense to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live local to the River Nene.. and anyone from outside of our county always pronounces River Nene as 'Neen'
  • Aaron.BishopAaron.Bishop Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Won instead of Run.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delthedude wrote: »
    Actually dude you're wrong, it is not pronounced phonetically and is pronounced Marley-bone. :D

Dude, you are wrong...it's pronounded 'Marl-a-bone'...not as in Bob 'Marley'
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joop&Lynx wrote: »
    I live local to the River Nene.. and anyone from outside of our county always pronounces River Nene as 'Neen'

It's Neen in Peterborough, but Nenn in Northants.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    People (usually Americans) who ask you to perform your "doodies". :mad:

and have their teeth out at the "Dennis"

East Enderisms, "Shtoodent" for student, they always seem to pronounce "st" as "sht".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Marylebone. Lots of people pronounce this Marleybone - ie, putting the 'le' before the 'y', instead of the 'le' AFTER the 'y'.

Phonetically, it's pronounced Mar-e-le-bone. :cool:

I am guilty of that one, but should it not be mar-e-lea-bone ?
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joop&Lynx wrote: »

I spent some time in Wisbech (Cambs) on the river Nene and never heard it called anything but Neen.
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    See, that's never bothered me.

Maybe it's cos my parents were sarcastic or summat but whenever I said "Can I have...." as a kid they'd just say "Of course you can" and then leave it at that, the implication being that they thought I was asking if it was okay for me to possess the thing rather than me actually requesting it.

So, for me, saying "Can I get..." seems like a better way of actually requesting a thing rather than just confirming whether it's allowed for me to possess it.

But to me, if someone says 'can I get', they're asking if they can physically go and get it, whereas 'may I have' is far more polite as they're asking the shopkeeper (or whoever) to provide whatever it is they're asking for.

My mum was always correcting the English spoken by me and my siblings and this would no doubt have been one example.

Another example was how we used to pronounce the likes of 'water' and 'butter' as 'wawha' and 'buhha' - she'd say 'how do you spell that, then?'

I should add that we were brought up in south London but my mum was Irish and her diction and pronunciation was far better than ours and it must have grated on her that her own children were so sloppy with their pronunciation!

I now pronounce 'water' and 'butter' correctly. :)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Round here it's just "I'll have/Al 'ave...".
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Precisely the things that annoy me. Where did "train station" suddenly appear from ?
    I'm a Countdown addict and when (usually) a youngster says "can I get a vowel" I usually hope they lose :D

Another one that annoys me on Countdown is when doing the numbers game someone says "take 10" instead of "deduct 10" or "take away ten".

What's wrong with train station? It's a place where trains are stationed.
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    What's wrong with train station? It's a place where trains are stationed.

haven't we always referred to tube stations or underground stations, with tube stops being the number of stations between the start and end of the journey?
    Forum Member
    Dude, you are wrong...it's pronounded 'Marl-a-bone'...not as in Bob 'Marley'

the parish was st. Mary le burn as in Ty burn, a popular tree for hanging catholic "strange fruit". In time it was renamed St Mary le Bone, so I guess that is how it should be pronounced... Mind you what about the haringey vs haringay? Location Vs municipal council.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Round here it's just "I'll have/Al 'ave...".

I have heard new yorkers in coffee shops insist that they need a coffee.

Perhaps they do indeed....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hungover wrote: »
    haven't we always referred to tube stations or underground stations, with tube stops being the number of stations between the start and end of the journey?

???!!! I never said train station had replaced tube station. I am saying that what is wrong with calling a place where you catch a mainline train a train station?
  • TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    Not strictly the same but I'm Scottish and an English language teacher in Italy andit's awkward to teach my students that the 'r' in Court is silent and that it rhymes with Caught. It's very difficult to approach when throughout every lesson before I've pronounced the R's.

I usually just tell them it's stupid since only about 30 million people pronounce it this way and that at least the Americans, the Irish, the Scottish and most of Northern England do pronounce the R (so around 400 million people). Italians like to pronounce their R's anyway so we don't even try.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hungover wrote: »
    I have heard new yorkers in coffee shops insist that they need a coffee.

Perhaps they do indeed....

Yep. That'll be the caffeine craving talking. I also thought this was just about what we say to our parents. I say "can I have..." when asking for something behind a counter.
  • NightSurferNightSurfer Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who uses there instead of they're or their.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who uses there instead of they're or their.......

People who use uses instead of use! :eek: :p
  • catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Probally"

"Ecscape"

"Yurs" instead of "years", usually by newsreaders/reporters.

I can think of a couple of songs with mispronounced words:
    In 'Leave Right Now', Will Young says "prahaps" rather than "perhaps".
    In 'Two In A Million', Jo O'Meara from S Club 7 says "bought us together" rather than "brought us together".
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Precisely the things that annoy me. Where did "train station" suddenly appear from ?
    I'm a Countdown addict and when (usually) a youngster says "can I get a vowel" I usually hope they lose :D

Another one that annoys me on Countdown is when doing the numbers game someone says "take 10" instead of "deduct 10" or "take away ten".

lt appeared from America, I believe.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know royalty say it but it always grates on me when people say "orf" or "orfton" instread of "off" or "Often".
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    ???!!! I never said train station had replaced tube station. I am saying that what is wrong with calling a place where you catch a mainline train a train station?

I was suggesting that the use of the word station has been used in the a similar context for quite sometime.

Mind you, I am not even sure if, post BR, whether "mainline" is correct anymore. Many of us Londoners used to call BR services in London, overground but that is now a tubeline...
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My pet hate is people saying 'rediculous' and spelling it the same way when it's actually 'ridiculous'. Maybe it's because I knew a sarcastic person who would say it all the time, completely unaware of the irony in some of her remarks.