T in the Park, BBC3 Fri, Sat, Sun 9.30pm, Red Button, 12-14 Jul

1235»

Comments

• U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What sort of moron decides to put The Killers on at the same time as Johnny Marr on red button?

Whoop,there it is!.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seems to be the full set on time-delay, been great so far!

Best thing on the telly all weekend.Brandon even mentioning Andy Murray.:cool:
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    Best thing on the telly all weekend.Brandon even mentioning Andy Murray.:cool:

Fantastic set! the only (very slight!) criticism I would have is that they rely on their old hits a lot, the ones from the last album don't seem to have made the same connection with the public. But when the songs from Hot Fuss, Sam's Town & Day & Age sound so good...who cares?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic set! the only (very slight!) criticism I would have is that they rely on their old hits a lot, the ones from the last album don't seem to have made the same connection with the public. But when the songs from Hot Fuss, Sam's Town & Day & Age sound so good...who cares?!

For sure.It just gets better and better.'Hell yes'!.
  • 19921992 Posts: 4,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great set from The Killers! They have had so many good songs :)
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Well as has been pointed out many times at festivals they cant expect everyone yo be superfans so have to rely on the hits. Is itme or does brandon look too thin?
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    Well as has been pointed out many times at festivals they cant expect everyone yo be superfans so have to rely on the hits. Is itme or does brandon look too thin?

a little, but I suppose being Mormon restricts the diet quite a lot.
  • KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I saw their last tour and I reckon they did the entire new album plus the highlights from the previous albums; tonight's following a similar flow - mixing the old and the new - but dropping some of the non-released album Battle Born tracks.

I'm guessing for a festival rather than a solo tour they've modified the setlist slightly to appeal to those in the audience who are there for the festival rather than for The Killers specifically, instead of just copying and pasting their recent setlists onto the festival plan?
  • KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »

He's always looked that thin I think?
    Forum Member
    KnowAll27 wrote: »
    I saw their last tour and I reckon they did the entire new album plus the highlights from the previous albums; tonight's following a similar flow - mixing the old and the new - but dropping some of the non-released album Battle Born tracks.

I'm guessing for a festival rather than a solo tour they've modified the setlist slightly to appeal to those in the audience who are there for the festival rather than for The Killers specifically, instead of just copying and pasting their recent setlists onto the festival plan?

I think playing the more popular songs at a festival is the correct decision...but I do worry they'll drift out of the limelight a bit unless they have a hit single, its 5 long years since Human.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember seeing Will Young at T and everyone being disappointed as he only sang one of his big hits.

Festivals are not your diehard fans. They need to sing their big hits!! I for one am extremely glad about that:)
    Forum Member
    Mr Brightside never disappoints! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't want that to end.Quality stuff.:cool:
    Brandon is one of the few singers who sounds as good live as he does on a cd!.Likewise the rest of the band.
    It's no wonder he's always been thin,the energy he releases on stage must be the equivalent of 4 Large Big Mac Meals.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without doubt the best band in the world right now.

Yes, I am a Victim haha.
    Forum Member
    David Guetta seems to be getting a good reaction...I wasn't a fan until I went to go see him in Ibiza last year, and was blown away by the staging and the energy of his set, now i'm a convert!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Guetta seems to be getting a good reaction...I wasn't a fan until I went to go see him in Ibiza last year, and was blown away by the staging and the energy of his set, now i'm a convert!

Behave yourself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    Behave yourself.

I know he's as commercial as music gets! but seriously it does come across a whole lot better when its live and the stage show is like a West-End production!
  • Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T in the Park are taking a massive risk in changing the festival from what was mostly rock based into a pop festival. This year was like T4 on the beach but without the beach. Glastonbury can get away with having pop acts because there are something like 70 other stages meaning they can cater for any tastes but T in the Park simply doesn't have enough other stuff going on to please the older crowd

It may work for them but It didn't sell out this year and from what I can gather reading other forums, the regulars won't be attending next year either. They seem to be wanting to attract a younger crowd to the festival but this was the first year in ages that they didn't sell out

T in the Park is the 2nd best festival I have been to (behind Glastonbury of course) but I don't see a time where I would go back to be honest
    Forum Member
    T in the Park are taking a massive risk in changing the festival from what was mostly rock based into a pop festival. This year was like T4 on the beach but without the beach. Glastonbury can get away with having pop acts because there are something like 70 other stages meaning they can cater for any tastes but T in the Park simply doesn't have enough other stuff going on to please the older crowd

It may work for them but It didn't sell out this year and from what I can gather reading other forums, the regulars won't be attending next year either. They seem to be wanting to attract a younger crowd to the festival but this was the first year in ages that they didn't sell out

T in the Park is the 2nd best festival I have been to (behind Glastonbury of course) but I don't see a time where I would go back to be honest

Trouble is there aren't many big name Rock acts touring, The Killers, Muse, Coldplay & Arctic Monkeys are the only 'current' acts I can think of, and they've already played Glastonbury several times in recent years.

apart from that you enter the territory of the older acts like the Stones, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, U2 etc and I imagine they charge huge fees and are very selective about what festivals they do.

in contrast Dance music for example has a whole host of DJ's doing the festival circuit and having big chart hits.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Trouble is there aren't many big name Rock acts touring, The Killers, Muse, Coldplay & Arctic Monkeys are the only 'current' acts I can think of, and they've already played Glastonbury several times in recent years.

apart from that you enter the territory of the older acts like the Stones, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, U2 etc and I imagine they charge huge fees and are very selective about what festivals they do.

in contrast Dance music for example has a whole host of DJ's doing the festival circuit and having big chart hits.

There's plenty of other big acts capable of headling festivals - Snow Patrol, Kasabian (though admittedly those both headlined T in the Park last year), Arcade Fire, Biffy Clyro, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Paramore, Queens of the Stone Age... however I think the undercard was the real weak point at T this year. Bands like Alt-J and Beady Eye don't have enough songs to headline major stages at festivals yet, then at the other end of the scale more established acts often had very short sets.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    OK, as I clearly have too much time on my hands I've had a go at 'tweaking' this year's T in the Park lineup. I've kept the same 3 main headliners and most of the other acts, but replaced a few others and swapped some people round a bit... any thoughts? I tried to be fairly realistic and mainly went for acts who are touring, have albums out etc.

FRIDAY
    Main Stage: Mumford & Sons/Paolo Nutini/Emile Sande/Texas/The Proclaimers
    Radio 1 Stage: Calvin Harris/Labrinth/Rudimental/Imagine Dragons/Mallory Knox
    King Tuts Tent: Travis/The Courteeners/Miles Kane/Ke$ha

SATURDAY
    Main Stage: Rihanna/The Script/Madness/Paloma Faith/Ellie Goulding/Seasick Steve/Ocean Colour Scene/The Lumineers/Gabrielle Aplin
    Radio 1 Stage: Stereophonics/Editors/Alt-J/Of Monsters & Men/The Fratellis/The View
    King Tuts Tent: Kraftwerk/Phoenix/Johnny Marr/Everything Everything/Hurts/Lawson

SUNDAY
    Main Stage: The Killers/Paramore/Maroon 5/Foals/Rita Ora/Deacon Blue/Earth Wind & Fire
    Radio 1 Stage: Snoop Dogg/Frank Ocean/Yeah Yeah Yeahs/Frank Turner/Noah & the Whale/Bastille/The 1975
    King Tuts Tent: Two Door Cinema Club/Jake Bugg/Frightened Rabbit/Disclosure/HAIM/Tom Odell
    Forum Member
    Tejas wrote: »
    There's plenty of other big acts capable of headling festivals - Snow Patrol, Kasabian (though admittedly those both headlined T in the Park last year), Arcade Fire, Biffy Clyro, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Paramore, Queens of the Stone Age... however I think the undercard was the real weak point at T this year. Bands like Alt-J and Beady Eye don't have enough songs to headline major stages at festivals yet, then at the other end of the scale more established acts often had very short sets.

Forgot about those, but its still not a massive pool to draw from, if you picked 3 headlines from the 11 acts we both pulled together, that is still just under 4 years worth of headliners. I.e. an act that played in 'year 1' would have to be back for year 4 or 5. When Rock/Indie was on a high the pool of potential headliners was so much bigger.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pearl Jam
    Foo Fighters.
    Green Day
    The National.
    Kings of Leon.
    Manic Street Preachers.
    The Flaming Lips.
    Radiohead.
    Vampire Weekend.
    The Black Keys.
    Belle & Sebastian (only in Scotland, mind)
    Depeche Mode.
    Fleet Foxes.

And that's excluding Metal acts..