Tesco tablet

Comments

• roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wont appear very cool when you say to your mates "Ive just got a Tesco Hudl", surely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    A 4 year old? they should still be playing with toys, not with tablets.

Good grief.

Agree to an extent. However it depends on their use.

I really don't get why parents would pay big money for an iPad for their child, but a £100 tablet offers lot more than an Innotab (kids "tablet" type game device thingy) would for a few quid less.

At this price, I'm tempted for my 8yr old, and to a lesser extent my 4yr old. The 8yr old can play the odd game if she wants to, but it can also be used to log in to the education websites used at school (for which an App is also being worked on, I believe).

With the price, and the clubcard deal, I think Tesco are going to clean up on this!
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you still need £20 pounds's worth of Clubcard vouchers to get this for the reported £60 pounds. So you're only really effectively getting it for £80 cash.
  • Steve_runnerSteve_runner Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you still need £20 pounds's worth of Clubcard vouchers to get this for the reported £60 pounds. So you're only really effectively getting it for £80 cash.

No, you need £60 in vouchers (face value) this is then doubled to £120 so no cash needed. Or you can pay less in vouchers and the remainder in cash.
  • kirstiemcnabbkirstiemcnabb Posts: 457
    Forum Member

Tesco Clubcard Boost allows you to double your points with vouchers to spend online, in store etc on selected goods
    If you have £60 worth of clubcard points and make them as clubcard boost vouchers, you can then use the £120 to get the tesco hudl for free

Have enough points easily that I save during year and spend at Christmas on pressies, thank you all the tesco express I visit on my work travels
    Will be buying one with clubcard boost for one of my daughters
    Accessories look good value too
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you need £60 in vouchers (face value) this is then doubled to £120 so no cash needed. Or you can pay less in vouchers and the remainder in cash.

Of course, I was thinking of the the other way around. Doh!

I've got 160 points on my Clubcard .. heh :)
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alves wrote: »
    Agree to an extent. However it depends on their use.

I really don't get why parents would pay big money for an iPad for their child, but a £100 tablet offers lot more than an Innotab (kids "tablet" type game device thingy) would for a few quid less.

At this price, I'm tempted for my 8yr old, and to a lesser extent my 4yr old. The 8yr old can play the odd game if she wants to, but it can also be used to log in to the education websites used at school (for which an App is also being worked on, I believe).

I admit I don't have kids, thank goodness, but if I did, I certainly would not allow a 4 year to have a tablet. 8 year old maybe.
    TBH, if I had kids, I would want them to learn more about computers, even down to coding. Get something out of it, more than what I did.

but at 4, I want them to have a proper childhood, maybe i am stuck in the past, but I don't care. i have seen households where the kids stay in all day when it is bright and sunny outside, stuck on their consoles and computers. they should be outside in the fresh air.
    With the price, and the clubcard deal, I think Tesco are going to clean up on this!

Maybe, but looking at the review i think I would rather spend a little bit more and get something a bit better if I was in the market for a tablet.

Still at least it have got a card slot.
  • kirstiemcnabbkirstiemcnabb Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    I admit I don't have kids, thank goodness, but if I did, I certainly would not allow a 4 year to have a tablet. 8 year old maybe.
    TBH, if I had kids, I would want them to learn more about computers, even down to coding. Get something out of it, more than what I did.

but at 4, I want them to have a proper childhood, maybe i am stuck in the past, but I don't care. i have seen households where the kids stay in all day when it is bright and sunny outside, stuck on their consoles and computers. they should be outside in the fresh air.

Why thank goodness, kids have made the most wonderful moments in my life

A proper childhood, the education and benefits technology gives youngsters now is amazing, wish my daughters had had that
    Part of my fitness business we offer young fitness classes from 3 years old and up and very popular
    Professional apps play an important part of this and they are excellent
    Allowing them to follow their progress and carry on their training at home
    Offering the likes of life skills, warm up, sports skills coaching, fair play and team spirit, coordination and balance, races, sports games, cool down

Thinks this tablet will be very popular with many families as a secondary tablet for all the family
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    It wont appear very cool when you say to your mates "Ive just got a Tesco Hudl", surely.

Who cares . Not me . If if does what I want then it could be made by Fisher Price as far a I'm concerned .
    This is a huge problem nowadays. Kids under pressure to look cool with their mates by having the latest tech .
    Youngsters are crying because Santa only fetched a 16gb iPhone . Its ridiculous
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They should be outside in the fresh air, agreed. However, everything in moderation, and if this is a relatively cheap way of assisting their education, it can't be seen as a bad thing, imo.
  • weirlandia4evaweirlandia4eva Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    Who cares . Not me . If if does what I want then it could be made by Fisher Price as far a I'm concerned .
    This is a huge problem nowadays. Kids under pressure to look cool with their mates by having the latest tech .

^^^ this
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »

Nor me, but surely its "Names" that kids want, ie Nike trainers, not a copy.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i know a 7 year old that asked for and got an iPad only last week.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    i know a 7 year old that asked for and got an iPad only last week.

I took a flight recently and while waiting in the lounge I saw a family of 5 - mum, dad and 3 kids between 5 and 10 all with their own iPads, all lost in their own little world, none of them saying a word to each other. They can afford 5 iPads, afford to fly them abroad on holidays but they didn't seem to want to talk to each other. Quite sad really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I took a flight recently and while waiting in the lounge I saw a family of 5 - mum, dad and 3 kids between 5 and 10 all with their own iPads, all lost in their own little world, none of them saying a word to each other. They can afford 5 iPads, afford to fly them abroad on holidays but they didn't seem to want to talk to each other. Quite sad really.

I see only good in that, kids not running around the terminal, screaming and annoying other passengers.
    Perhaps their parents asked them to behave and be quiet.
    They may have all been playing scrabble together, doing homework or reading, educational for the kids.
  • Howard_HockeyHoward_Hockey Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    I see only good in that, kids not running around the terminal, screaming and annoying other passengers.
    Perhaps their parents asked them to behave and be quiet.
    They may have all been playing scrabble together, doing homework or reading, educational for the kids.
    +1
    And the same on the aircraft hopefully.
    When I was a kid me and my mate immersed ourselves in games of (travel) chess - two faces staring silently at a single screen oblivious to the rest of the world!
    Some things never change :p
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This or an Apple an TV?
    hmmm.

The media are falling into systematic line again, and failing to mention the extra features that make it a very good buy.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For whatever it's worth, my 6 year old nephew is likely going to be getting a tablet for his birthday. I think in this day and age, tablets do have a place for kids - to a point. I think there are plenty of apps available that encourage creativity and learning and also simple problem solving.

My nephew loves Cut the Rope and is actually quite good at it as well :)

The ceebebies site has some very good stuff for under five or sex year olds. Many help with numbers/shapes/recognition/reading etc. When my grandson was four he'd start up his laptop and firefox and then ceebebies from the bookmark folder.

A lot of android educational apps freely available too, well worth looking at.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco giving their staff double discount (20%) from 30 sep for 5 days! Brings the tablet down to £95 for staff, not including any vouchers you can still use...
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco giving their staff double discount (20%) from 30 sep for 5 days! Brings the tablet down to £95 for staff, not including any vouchers you can still use...
    I hope they have enough stock so it's not like last time...
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1749493
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »

I'd maybe be careful when I say to my mates "Oi, mate give me a Hudl".
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I keep reading it as "hoody"....I imagine lots of chavs walking round with them for some reason :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Anyone know why tesco have named it the Hudl?
    There is already a software company that uses that name http://www.hudl.com/, in the US.
  • jennytablinajennytablina Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Anyone know why tesco have named it the Hudl?
    There is already a software company that uses that name http://www.hudl.com/, in the US.

I imagine Tesco have no intention of selling this outside of the UK/EU - for one Tesco has no real US fraction, Fresh and Easy was the US leg, but they literally just sold it on a few days ago. They can likely get away with calling the tablet Hudl if the device isn't going to leave these shores (or get rebadged)

I think it's called Hudl ("Huddle") because the idea is that it's a tablet for the family. Mum can use it for her online shop and checking clubcard balance, kids can use it to play angry birds, and dad can use it to check the football scores. Everyone can use it to watch movies on the go ect too. The Tablet itself doesnt have Tesco branding except for the app widget stuff - so I guess they are trying to establish this as a brand slightly distanced from the Tesco name (avoiding the stigma of having a supermarket tablet)

Also on the tech vs playing outside arguement, my fave toy growing up was my Sega Mega Drive. I got my quota of fresh air (I liked football too even though I sucked at it) - but there's nothing wrong with a kid being into tech - I groaned every time a relative suggested I take up something more "feminine" like knitting or playing with dolls back in the day

Kinda want the Hudl (I'm staff, so 20% discount ahoy!) - but I already have an iPad 2 - though I can't imagine it'll be supported too much longer (though for an iOS device, it's had a darn good run for 3 years) Just wish Android got a little bit more love from developers sometimes
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cy_bones wrote: »
    I hope they have enough stock so it's not like last time...
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1749493

1000 stores are getting stock. The letter about the 20% discount stated "once it's gone, it's gone" indicating finite stock.