Options

Matt Cardle responds to James Arthur's album sales figures

Comments

• Options
    LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    scamrasc wrote: »
    brilliant:D

oh my word. how deluded is this imbocile???....he's been slating matt for a year, unprovoked (actually matt supported him), saying he was rubbish, didn't sell anything and people wouldn't pick his record from the "bargin bin in asda". now it transpires that matt's opening week outsold him by nearly 10k copies and he tries to spin it like he made some "ballsy" decision to go toe to toe with eminem???....

james, hunny, earlier this week you said you're album was already through the roof on preorders. they won't count toward sales next week you know....and while we're on the matter....you also said that those preorders had your album selling up over 70k at the start of the week...you're 10k short by it's end mate...

i genuinely don't think this muppet has the brain cells to rub together and work it out...

He's also just claimed it will end up selling a lot more than Matt's over time! It may well do but again he's making big claims which might not come to fruition, will he never learn?!
    burbe wrote: »
    Shows how much they both know about the current state of the album industry - which is practically becoming non-existent.

The fact that James even came close with today's album chart climate is a massive achievement. You've had some massive artists even struggling to match those sales in the past 2 years.

For example; Kanye West only sold 25,000 to go #1 in June, JAY Z sold 39,000 to go #1 in July; Kings of Leon only sold slightly more at 71,000 to go #1 in September and Katy Perry only sold 50,000 to go #1 a few weeks ago.

Btw, I'm not even a fan, I just think Matt Cardle's comments are a bit ridiculous considering the current state of the album charts. James Arthur could have well sold close 100k had his album been released with a better climate of a couple of years ago.

His comments are ridiculous? All he said was "there you go", he's hardly saying Arthur has done terribly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shows how much they both know about the current state of the album industry - which is practically becoming non-existent.

The fact that James even came close with today's album chart climate is a massive achievement. You've had some massive artists even struggling to match those sales in the past 2 years.

For example; Kanye West only sold 25,000 to go #1 in June, JAY Z sold 39,000 to go #1 in July; Kings of Leon only sold slightly more at 71,000 to go #1 in September and Katy Perry only sold 50,000 to go #1 a few weeks ago.

Btw, I'm not even a fan, I just think Matt Cardle's comments are a bit ridiculous considering the current state of the album charts. James Arthur could have well sold close 100k had his album been released with a better climate of a couple of years ago.

by that reasoning so would matt's. the music industry didn't magically drop sales by 40k over the space of a year - it's been a steady gradual decline since the late 90s/turn of the century.

what's also important is the time of year for the egs you're quoting. it's a highly established fact that sales across the board are always much much higher at this time of year than any other - and most of your e.g.s are summer releases. it won't take much at all to get a no.1 then, because so few records are bought across the board. the same artists releasing the same albums would have sold twice as much easily had they gone for the christmas market - but that's harder to gain a no.1.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Arthur has an absolutely awful team behind him. They fact that they are letting him carry on slagging so many people off just shows how crap the team are. His first album has sol well as it's the first one off the back of his XF win. The novelty will wear off. Some of the stuff he's spouting on twitter is as bad as Steve Brookstein.
  • Options
    Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, I see Arthur is going talking about Matt on Twitter. Matt's comments must have really hit a nerve:D

I do not think Arthur and Matt Cardle will ever resolve their differences.
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    to be fair mathew, james arthurs album is pretty awesome. compared to your lame effort

Depends what you like.

James Arthur has zero charisma, and I'd find watching paint dry more interesting.

But then, it depends what you like. :)
  • Options
    RidolfoRidolfo Posts: 66
    Forum Member

Ridiculous they are but also strategic. The last thing he wants to talk about are his own current sales figures, which are wretched. His new album dropped 62 places in its second week in the charts after selling less than 7000 copies the first week.

Better by far to talk about how many records he shifted two years ago.
  • Options
    abcdabcd Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor old sloth, there really isn't enough room left on that monster head of his for any more egg is there. First of all he got trounced in the singles chart by a 16 year old stranger and said he was more worried about his album sale. Then he sells less on opening week than the man he's been calling a failure for several months. You couldn't make it up. Still amazes me how he beat jahmene last year. But jahmene was the real winner anyway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ridolfo wrote: »
    Ridiculous they are but also strategic. The last thing he wants to talk about are his own current sales figures, which are wretched. His new album dropped 62 places in its second week in the charts after selling less than 7000 copies the first week.

Better by far to talk about how many records he shifted two years ago.

At the end of the day, Matt is with a smaller label, so getting an album to number 11 is good, considering he is sined with an independent label.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    abcd wrote: »
    Poor old sloth, there really isn't enough room left on that monster head of his for any more egg is there. First of all he got trounced in the singles chart by a 16 year old stranger and said he was more worried about his album sale. Then he sells less on opening week than the man he's been calling a failure for several months. You couldn't make it up. Still amazes me how he beat jahmene last year. But jahmene was the real winner anyway

Lmao! Love this post.
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the end of the day, Matt is with a smaller label, so getting an album to number 11 is good, considering he is sined with an independent label.

like Adele and the Arctic Monkeys you mean?;)
  • Options
    AMS13AMS13 Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake ‏@jakeinmoscow 12m
    @JamesArthur23 how do you feel that Matt Cardle's album sold more than yours even though you said he didn't sell looool

James Arthur ‏@JamesArthur23 7m
    @jakeinmoscow first week sales.. My album will still sell more you'll see ;) and I had the balls to release same week as Eminem #homework

Like he personally chose his release date:rolleyes:

I doubt that JA has knows who Noel Gallagher is. Matt came in at number 2 beneath High Flying Birds which sold 120,000 on first week sales. Nice reply from Matt, with regards question asked and not responding to JA tweets.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    like Adele and the Arctic Monkeys you mean?;)

Good comment as Matt was number 3 in the Indie Charts and Arctic Monkeys were Number 1. This week he has gone down to Number 7, behind Arctic Monkeys, London Grammar, Passenger, Antiphon, Cara Emerald and Boy George. Nice album and glad I have Porcelain in my collection. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK--oRSr_c8
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    Matt's doing okay. He's got a decent following, and more importantly seems reasonably respected by the media. He doesn't go round shoving his foot in his mouth at every given opportunity, and seems to be a genuinely liked, decent guy.

James Arthur makes my skin crawl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He's not on an independent label, he's on no label at all!
  • Options
    Crabbie123Crabbie123 Posts: 8,478
    Forum Member
    Rosie Red wrote: »
    Matt's doing okay. He's got a decent following, and more importantly seems reasonably respected by the media. He doesn't go round shoving his foot in his mouth at every given opportunity, and seems to be a genuinely liked, decent guy.

James Arthur makes my skin crawl.

James certainly hasn't helped himself with his hostility to the media (and to just about anybody who doesn't hero worship him for that matter). They will happily put the boot in.

Dan Wootton ‏@danwootton 56m
    FUNNY! @JamesArthur23 sold LESS albums in his first week than @matt_cardle_uk who he has spent a year slagging off: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a530454/matt-cardle-responds-to-james-arthurs-album-sales-figures.html?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=dsuk&utm_campaign=twdsuk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linseyap wrote: »
    He's not on an independent label, he's on no label at all!

It is funny how an artist with no label can chart on both the Official Chart as well as the Official Independent Chart. Matt Cardle Music (for the Irish and UK market) , marketed by Absolute Marketing. He has signed an International Music Publishing deal with BMG.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Crabbie123 wrote: »
    James certainly hasn't helped himself with his hostility to the media (and to just about anybody who doesn't hero worship him for that matter). They will happily put the boot in.

Dan Wootton ‏@danwootton 56m
    FUNNY! @JamesArthur23 sold LESS albums in his first week than @matt_cardle_uk who he has spent a year slagging off: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a530454/matt-cardle-responds-to-james-arthurs-album-sales-figures.html?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=dsuk&utm_campaign=twdsuk

I hope for James Arthur's sake, he doesn't start slagging off Dan Wootton. If he did that, it would be a big mistake, considering Dan is a journalist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope for James Arthur's sake, he doesn't start slagging off Dan Wootton. If he did that, it would be a big mistake, considering Dan is a journalist.

He had a spat with Dan Wooton a few weeks ago lol:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He had a spat with Dan Wooton a few weeks ago lol:D:D:D

Not a very good thing for James to do, considering the media can make, or break you:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a very good thing for James to do, considering the media can make, or break you:D

Well exactly and it was The Sun that ran the story this week on James grooming a 17 year old fan

Dan Wootton ‏@danwootton 10 Nov
    New low for James Arthur. A 17-year-old fan reveals how the X Factor winner used her for sex: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/x_factor/5253681/x-factor-singer-had-sex-with-girl-fan.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look forward to seeing the response from James. :D
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And all that might have been relevant had James Arthur not spent the last month bragging about how gigantic his pre order numbers were and bragging earlier this week he had sold 70,000 copies of his album before it was released.

By that reckoning he's sold none since it launched and 7000 have sent it back.

I think James Arthurs album is much better than credible cardles by the way, but he is an absolute dick, and made himself look stupid here.
  • Options
    Gavin_MartinGavin_Martin Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i guess it won't be long before he gets dropped by simon next year
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Matt himself has made some bad comments in the past but James Arthur really does seem to be a completely vile individual with no redeeming features in terms of his personality. As someone who likes Matt's music I take real offense at being called a "bedwetter" by the immature little pr*ck and even though I like James' music too I really hope he's heading for a big fall very soon. You just shouldn't be allowed to go around talking about people like that, especially when those people have done nothing to you.

The "man" is absolutely pathetic.
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And all that might have been relevant had James Arthur not spent the last month bragging about how gigantic his pre order numbers were and bragging earlier this week he had sold 70,000 copies of his album before it was released.

By that reckoning he's sold none since it launched and 7000 have sent it back.

I think James Arthurs album is much better than credible cardles by the way, but he is an absolute dick, and made himself look stupid here.
    He also tweeted Sunday that he was very close to Eminem in album sales for the week. Eminem sold over 143k and had a few days less of sales due to not being released until Tuesday. ;)