Magnanamous In Defeat???? Not!!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she seemed very rude, even Mr Mat thought so
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    sorry to anyone who likes her but i dont :mad: i think shes terribly rude, has terrible manners and is a bad loser

I agree totally :)
    Throughout the programme she's been a nasty, rude, arrogant, mean-spirited, sulky little madam, IMO.
    OK, she may have suffered from a lack of self-esteem in the past (although she appeared to hold herself in very high esteem, actually - i.e. arrogant!), but that doesn't excuse downright bad manners!
    She suggested Bonnie only got through because she was 'teachers pet' & never once mentioned poor Todd - who must have had the patience of a Saint to put up with her for the last couple of months (OMG, was I willing him to let go of that chair on the spin :D)
    For an athlete, Dame Sulky had the most unsportsmanlike attitiude going.
    If I never see her again on TV - it'll be too soon!
  • PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure David Seaman will be more magnaminous in defeat. After all, he got plenty of practice in his professional careeer...

Us Brit's just don't like a winner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member

Us Brit's just don't like a winner.

Where did this silly idea come from and why do people keep repeating it?

You only have to look at the thread on Jane and Chris, comments on Robin, the SCD pages that went before not to mention the crowds that gather when victorious football teams return home, the thousands at the end of the London Marathon run etc. to realise that we LOVE winners.

Perhaps some of us are a bit selective - we like our winners to be gracious, have a reasonable level of humility, appreciate that their win has been helped along by those who have supported them, coached them and encouraged them and to understand that they have won because they have a talent that is above the norm and they have been in a position where they, helped by others, could nurture that talent.

What we don't like are winners who are arrogant, think that winning makes them superior to everyone around them, show no appreciation to the parents/coaches/partners/team members and general support team who helped them get where they are. Nor do we like winners who let it go to their heads, become boastful, think that winning in one field of achievement makes them an expert in others and force their opinions down our throats.

Nor, IMO, do we like winners who don't deserve to win. Sometimes a difficult one to judge as so many things depend on the subjective opinions of judges who may be working to a list of criteria but, at the end of the day, personal opinion is the deciding factor.

As for losers - we don't like the ungracious ones, the ones who scowl and are unable to acknowledge that 'the better person won' or claim 'I was robbed' (whether in words or by facial expressions).

I, for one, would appreciate it if people stop to think before tarring all Brits (or any other nationality) with the same brush.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hear Hear - I agree totally - we are a very proud nation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fannianni wrote:
    Sorry Tasi.....I must have watched a different programme.I didn't see any spite or temper at all. :eek:

Are you hard of hearing and sight? Her voice was half an octave higher, she was trembling with rage and her eyes were shooting pure venom!

This wasn't the Olympics she should have taken defeat in good grace.
  • peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    She showed how much she doesn't like to lose! Very bad form - she should not have made any excuses, just accepted that she cocked up the ending, and she should DEFINITELY have congratulated Bonnie. Dame Kelly Holmes has gone right down in my estimation.

The other losers have been most gracious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she should have thanked Todd at the very least
  • DayusDayus Posts: 3,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allibmat wrote:
    she should have thanked Todd at the very least

She probably did so off air.
  • primrosegirlprimrosegirl Posts: 1,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, that's not good enough, she should have done so on air.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Kelly has got an attitude problem, but as for Bonnie being fantastic, crap she does hardly any skating and I thought Kelly did much better, I think they should restrict the number of lifts would ensure we saw more dancing on ice??
  • SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kelly gets booted- totally ungracious about it. No surprise there then after what we have witnessed over the past few weeks.

Im sick of the idea that we must all worship at the alter of Dame Kelly because she happened to win two gold medals. She is rude, arrogant and ungracious. Last night it was everyone else's fault other than her own, the chair, the judges. She showed no consideration for her partner who was seriousley injured because she wanted to attempt a complicated lift that even he had never done before.

Kelly could do with a few lessons from Jayne, Chris and Robin. All former Olympic champs and ex- BBC sports personalities of the year, but totally humble and down to earth.
  • TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what she was like, and if anyone liked her when she was in the army?
    I was one of the people screaming COME ON KELLEY! at the telly when she went for her golds. She really was an inspiration and I think the whole of Britain was proud of her.
    However, my goodness she changed! Arrogance must not be confused with confidence & the will to win.
    You only have to look at the prof. skaters on the show: Cousins, Tourville and Dean. They were hungry for medals in their day and convinced they were the best and deserved gold, but were very down to earth and grounded people.
    Kelley Holmes has some very serious issues to deal with.
  • sheila_psheila_p Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tooshort wrote:
    Where did this silly idea come from and why do people keep repeating it?

You only have to look at the thread on Jane and Chris, comments on Robin, the SCD pages that went before not to mention the crowds that gather when victorious football teams return home, the thousands at the end of the London Marathon run etc. to realise that we LOVE winners.

Perhaps some of us are a bit selective - we like our winners to be gracious, have a reasonable level of humility, appreciate that their win has been helped along by those who have supported them, coached them and encouraged them and to understand that they have won because they have a talent that is above the norm and they have been in a position where they, helped by others, could nurture that talent.

What we don't like are winners who are arrogant, think that winning makes them superior to everyone around them, show no appreciation to the parents/coaches/partners/team members and general support team who helped them get where they are. Nor do we like winners who let it go to their heads, become boastful, think that winning in one field of achievement makes them an expert in others and force their opinions down our throats.

Nor, IMO, do we like winners who don't deserve to win. Sometimes a difficult one to judge as so many things depend on the subjective opinions of judges who may be working to a list of criteria but, at the end of the day, personal opinion is the deciding factor.

As for losers - we don't like the ungracious ones, the ones who scowl and are unable to acknowledge that 'the better person won' or claim 'I was robbed' (whether in words or by facial expressions).

I, for one, would appreciate it if people stop to think before tarring all Brits (or any other nationality) with the same brush.

What a fantastic post! Totally sums up my feelings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    You summed it up beautifully Tooshort :)
  • mmcdmmcd Posts: 8,558
    Forum Member
    I agree that Kelly wasn't happy that she had lost out but I agree with every word she was saying. No-one who would have had the unfortune to be up against Bonnie in the skate-off, would have survived. It is clear that the judges want her in the final. Secondly, when Kelly was handed the roses she didn't keep them, she handed them out individually to the audience and every one of the judges including Jason. Where was the ungraciousness in that? No other celebrity ice skater has done that in previous shows. I.m.o. Kelly is naturally competitive and I don't see a problem with that. Granted she wasn't the best of the four last night but you cannot condemn her for trying. I admire her for doing the little solo jumps not once but a few times last night. I would have given her higher marks for that alone. :(
  • DayusDayus Posts: 3,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, that's not good enough, she should have done so on air.

You think it would mean more to her partner if she did so?
  • galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    mmcd wrote:
    I agree that Kelly wasn't happy that she had lost out but I agree with every word she was saying. No-one who would have had the unfortune to be up against Bonnie in the skate-off, would have survived. It is clear that the judges want her in the final. Secondly, when Kelly was handed the roses she didn't keep them, she handed them out individually to the audience and every one of the judges including Jason. Where was the ungraciousness in that? No other celebrity ice skater has done that in previous shows. I.m.o. Kelly is naturally competitive and I don't see a problem with that. Granted she wasn't the best of the four last night but you cannot condemn her for trying. I admire her for doing the little solo jumps not once but a few times last night. I would have given her higher marks for that alone. :(
    I agree with you - perhaps Kelly came across as a touch ungracious but she was right that anyone up against Bonnie would have gone - the judges clearly overrate her - look at the ridiculous marks she got last week when she was crap. Secondly I thought that Jason's comment about Kelly being at the same stage now that the others were at a week or so ago was unfair - I can't honestly see that Bonnie is any better - in fact last week she was worse and didn't do her required element either. While the judges have this blind spot towards Bonnie their criticism of others will always sound hypocritical to me.
    Forum Member
    Dayus wrote:
    You think it would mean more to her partner if she did so?

Totally agree with you. She doesn't have to thank everyone publicly.
    Forum Member
    galena wrote:
    I agree with you - perhaps Kelly came across as a touch ungracious but she was right that anyone up against Bonnie would have gone - the judges clearly overrate her - look at the ridiculous marks she got last week when she was crap. Secondly I thought that Jason's comment about Kelly being at the same stage now that the others were at a week or so ago was unfair - I can't honestly see that Bonnie is any better - in fact last week she was worse and didn't do her required element either. While the judges have this blind spot towards Bonnie their criticism of others will always sound hypocritical to me.

The judges aren't very consisitent in their remarks and then their votes. They were mainly all saying that Stefan was the best on the night but if that was the case, why give Bonnie the highest marks??
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Kelly gets booted- totally ungracious about it. No surprise there then after what we have witnessed over the past few weeks.

Im sick of the idea that we must all worship at the alter of Dame Kelly because she happened to win two gold medals. She is rude, arrogant and ungracious. Last night it was everyone else's fault other than her own, the chair, the judges. She showed no consideration for her partner who was seriousley injured because she wanted to attempt a complicated lift that even he had never done before.

Kelly could do with a few lessons from Jayne, Chris and Robin. All former Olympic champs and ex- BBC sports personalities of the year, but totally humble and down to earth.
    i agree with your commemts

Brilliant in her chosen feild but just because you have two gold medals for running it doesnt mean you will be the best ice dancer

in my opinion she should have gone in the second week, i think she should be greatfull she lasted so long

other skaters who were better than her left before her she rode the sympathy vote well
  • primrosegirlprimrosegirl Posts: 1,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmcd wrote:
    Totally agree with you. She doesn't have to thank everyone publicly.
    No she doesn't, but it would have been a nice gesture if she had at least thanked her partner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very strange, as an athlete Kelly was always a gracious loser but since her retirement and damehood she really does seem to have undergone a personality transformation. I adored her as an athlete, but in DOI I have come to take quite a dislike to her and particularly the way she treats others around her, including her partner. :(
  • ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She isn't a girly girl. She's a bit gauche and slightly introverted and operating well out of her comfort zone. She is the absolute opposite of Bonnie in about every way possible. So she forgot to say the things she *ought* to have said and said other stuff she shouldn't.
    Big Deal...

To me, this makes her completely normal, I'm certain I would be exactly the same. Kelly is a runner, not an actress, a dancer or TV presenter, who has been taught to say and do the socially acceptable things. She has a particularly expressive and mobile face that tends to betray her inner feelings, making it hard for her to dissemble. Personally I'd prefer that to the rictus showbizzy grins of some of the other competitors. Actresses have to learn to be very thick skinned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    For me the insight into Kelly Holmes was the fact that on ITV2 they each have to say"If I don't come back to skate next week I will miss......" and all the other celebrities made it personal to their skating partner to say that they will miss them or it would be like losing a member of the family.

Kelly, last week and this week, said words to the effect I will miss not being able to improve my performance and so be better.

Again, nothing personal about her being with Todd. :o