LG 3D Conversion

Hi, I have just purchased an 55" LG 3d tv and love it especially the picture both normal and with proper 3d content but when I try the 2d to 3d conversion and put on the glasses, I can only see a clear 2d picture. Am I missing something in settings or is this function not particularly useful.
I had a 47" plasma for the past six years and I thought those blacks couldn't be beaten but the lg blew me away to the extent that I thought they'd given me a 4k by mistake.
I would appreciate any useful advice.
Regards

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2D to 3D conversion works surprisingly well on my passive 3D Panasonic TV. At a guess the LG uses the same chip. Are you turning it on using a button on the TV remote ?
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi rewarden,

We can't help unless you provide the model number.
  • rewardenrewarden Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    Hi rewarden,

We can't help unless you provide the model number.
    model number is LGLB5700V - sorry for not stating in my question
    Forum Member
    Hi rewarden,

There is no such model number (in the UK). Did you mean the LG 55LB700V?
  • LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    The 3D conversion might just not be effective. I have an LG TV and the effect can be pretty weak, the fact is that no TV can convert a 2D image to 3D the option is nothing more than a gimmick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lumstorm wrote: »
    The 3D conversion might just not be effective. I have an LG TV and the effect can be pretty weak, the fact is that no TV can convert a 2D image to 3D the option is nothing more than a gimmick.

Before making such a assertion I suggest you try one of the latest AS800 passive 3D Panasonic models. AS I previously posted the effect is surprisingly effective.
  • rewardenrewarden Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    Hi rewarden,

There is no such model number (in the UK). Did you mean the LG 55LB700V?

sorry yes you're right!
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've a LG 3D 55" tv, purchased in 2012 at a cost of £1,400, and the 2D to 3D conversion feature is pretty feeble to be honest.
  • MacartistMacartist Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I have a 2011 LG 3D TV and have found the 3D conversion to be quite effective where the original source material was shot in 3D. I have the 2D extended Blu ray version of Avatar and this works very well :)
    Forum Member
    Before making such a assertion I suggest you try one of the latest AS800 passive 3D Panasonic models. AS I previously posted the effect is surprisingly effective.

3D can be very effective and immersive with material filmed in 3D but 3D needs to have two images to work properly and you can't create that on the fly with a TV even professionally produced fake 3D such as The Avengers and Superman in my opinion can't really compare to films like the Hobbit and Judge Dredd that were originally filmed with 3D cameras.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lumstorm wrote: »
    3D can be very effective and immersive with material filmed in 3D but 3D needs to have two images to work properly and you can't create that on the fly with a TV even professionally produced fake 3D such as The Avengers and Superman in my opinion can't really compare to films like the Hobbit and Judge Dredd that were originally filmed with 3D cameras.

Never said it could. However with the only TV I have, the effect is surprisingly effective. All captions stand out in front of the background and foreground characters are clearly defined from the background in much the same way as true 3D.

However the effect is not for everyone. just like true 3D blu-rays my better half thinks the effect is a bit like a cardboard cutout.. As I said the processing chip is extremely clever, watching HD shows like Pointless it frankly does an amazing job of creating depth in the image. With HD still images the effect is remarkably similar to stereoscopic images viewed in the usual way.

I watched Atlantis the other day, the picture depth was very obvious.

Unless you have the a similar TV (LG is not in the same class as the top of the range Panasonic TV's ), I suggest you actually try one.

Just like you I was not expecting the results to be very effective, There are a number of ways to convert home recorded video from 2D to 3D, some of which can produce effective results.
    Forum Member
    Hi rewarden,

I've had a look at a couple of pro reviews of your model and there isn't any mention of 2D to 3D conversion problems. It could be your TV is faulty but I have 2 suggestions for you to try if you want. First set up your TV picture using AV Forums Picture Perfect: https://www.avforums.com/PicturePerfect/, and secondly try this YouTube vid explaining the conversion settings. It's for an earlier model but it might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r-ACd5pgIc
    Forum Member
    Unless you have the a similar TV (LG is not in the same class as the top of the range Panasonic TV's ), I suggest you actually try one.

Just like you I was not expecting the results to be very effective, There are a number of ways to convert home recorded video from 2D to 3D, some of which can produce effective results.

It doesn't matter if the TV is a an LG ,Panasonic or Sony no TV can convert 2D to 3D they all create a fake effect with mistakes as to the cardboard cutout effect with 3D BD thats maybe because there is few 3D films apart from the animated ones, most aren't filmed in 3D due to expense and are fake converted by the studio later. The Resident Evil series stand out as great 3D as does Hugo they used 3D cameras others like Thor ,Superman Avengers are fake 3D.