Options

Is celebrating Xmas getting bigger or smaller in the UK

Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Each year I notice less xmas decorations in my street and on neighbors houses, not sure why that is. Also, my office has less card giving each year.

Comments

• Options
    rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't take Christ out of Xmas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Less people celebrating it because more and more people realise it's nothing more than a pagan tradition which people use as an excuse to spend hundreds of pounds on presents. It's nothing but a farce.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Each year I notice less xmas decorations in my street and on neighbors houses, not sure why that is. Also, my office has less card giving each year.
    Dont know about less xmas decorations, but card giving is going down yes, so many people do xmas greeting by text and other modern means now. People are just changing things, still billions of pounds spent on xmas and more spent this year than last year
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    Less people celebrating it because more and more people realise it's nothing more than a pagan tradition which people use as an excuse to spend hundreds of pounds on presents. It's nothing but a farce.

Oh behave, Victor Meldrew! Life shouldn't be serious all the time.

You don't have to spend.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How exactly is people buying gifts for others a bad thing? How comes it being a pagan tradition is a bad thing?

Not everyone will have a great Christmas (or birthday or anniversary or valentines or any other day of the year) but for me it's a chance to exchange gifts with people I love and spend a few relaxing days with the family.

I know why some people have an attitude over Christmas but the way some people begrudge others enjoying it is pretty damn sad tbh.

I can't say I've noticed less people celebrating it. Certainly fewer cards though. I suspect that's simply an off shoot of communication methods changing so much.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    Is celebrating Xmas getting bigger or smaller in the UK

Not sure about cards but there are more and better lights than ever in my street and nearby streets! Very pleasant to drive or walk home to in these dark Winter evenings. And the local toy superstore is as packed as it ever was at Christmas.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have spent 20 quid on Christmas.. Just the parents to buy for.. Wish I had more people to buy stuff for
  • Options
    bozzimacoobozzimacoo Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not done anything as yet, had good intentions for sending cards in good time, but just hasn't happened (I feel guilty now). Son is spoilt rotten 365 days of the year and has bled me dry, so said I'll cook him a nice dinner instead. :D
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not seen as many decorations and lights this year.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rufusrain wrote: »
    You can't take Christ out of Xmas.

You can happily ignore him though