is "slope" a racist term in Scotland

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
Forum Member
✭✭✭
First off all I am Scottish and I have never heard of the term "slope" being used in anyway as a racist word, and I was just wondering if the term is only used in England rather than other countries or has it been used in Scotland and I have "not heard" it.
Also I would like to apologise for any upset I may cause to any members of the forum who are offended by me using this work. The main reason is that I am asking whether its a legitimate racist word of if the Daily Mail is just trying to cause trouble as they normally do? thanks again BBUK

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of it ?
    Had a quick google and means offside, or unleavened.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Surely it's the two saddo's that reported Top Gear to Ofcom that are to blame.

Ofcom even said it could "possibility to cause offense" so they weren't even definitive in it being an offensive term.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of it ?
    Had a quick google and means offside, or unleavened.

The DM claimed that the word was a racist term for people from Asian communities, actually I am unsure if it is just Asians or if it is other continents as well, so that is why I am asking?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Ofcom even said it could "possibly cause offense" so they weren't even definitive in it being an offensive term.
    I know it would have been the DM causing trouble exepecially when it comes to Top Gear, I am not a big fan of the presenters but they seem to "rile" the DM.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Until all the Top Gear kerfuffle went on I'd never heard the term used as anything other than meaning uneven. I didn't know it had any other meaning.
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    baldbilluk wrote: »
    First off all I am Scottish and I have never heard of the term "slope" being used in anyway as a racist word, and I was just wondering if the term is only used in England rather than other countries or has it been used in Scotland and I have "not heard" it.
    Also I would like to apologise for any upset I may cause to any members of the forum who are offended by me using this work. The main reason is that I am asking whether its a legitimate racist word of if the Daily Mail is just trying to cause trouble as they normally do? thanks again BBUK

I have never come across the term as being offensive until it was OMG!!! :o:o highlighted on that ep of Top Gear. I cannot for the life of me understand the Ofcom ruling on this. The bridge WAS wonky and DID had a slope, and as far as I'm concerned, it's a desperate attempt to create a problem out of nothing,

Context here for info - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28522450
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely, it's well known as a derogatory term for East Asians based on a stereotype.

It's not a term you'd hear anyone decent using.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well actually if you are "decent" then you would not have known it was a racist term and would have been asking if this was a racist word.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Surely, it's well known as a derogatory term for East Asians based on a stereotype.

Obviously by the fuss cause it's not a well known term.

I'd heard it before from watching Vietnam films/documentaries. I still wouldn't think it would be well known outside that frame of reference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DM claimed that the word was a racist term for people from Asian communities, actually I am unsure if it is just Asians or if it is other continents as well, so that is why I am asking?
    Aw no problems, I've just never heard of it.
  • Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    I've heard the word "slope" used occasionally in the past, and it is a racial slur. I live in Canada.

Sometimes I check certain words and/or phrases out on Urban Dictionary when I am unsure of something.

I'm older, so I don't always know what certain expressions mean.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never heard of it used as a racist word.
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    It's familiar to me as a racially pejorative word, having grown up around the time of the Vietnam and other Asian wars in the 1960s and 70s. The way it was said and the demographic of Top Gear's audience I have absolutely no doubt that was the point of the joke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way it was said and the demographic of Top Gear's audience I have absolutely no doubt that was the point of the joke.

As I am quite bright and smart and I never watch Top Gear then that "lets me out" when it comes to understanding the issues.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MRS W wrote: »
    I have never heard of it used as a racist word.

Nor me. I couldn't understand all the fuss as I thought it meant a slight incline. I think I must have led a sheltered life!
  • marobbymarobby Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Well actually if you are "decent" then you would not have known it was a racist term and would have been asking if this was a racist word.

I know of the C word. I know what it means, but I wouldn't use it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marobby wrote: »

Actually you have a good point, that "shot me down in flames!!!:o"
  • nerdgirlfromthek83nerdgirlfromthek83 Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does the DM hate top gears?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well said marobby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the c word means a fanny and it isn't racist?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does the DM hate top gears?

I think they just hate the "laddish" humour that goes with the programme and especially Jeremy Clarkson, they find him a bit of a loudmouth "yob" and he upset the DM sensitivities ie Sammy Brick and Liz Jone's "cleverness:D"
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Ofcom even said it could "possibility to cause offense" so they weren't even definitive in it being an offensive term.

One or two of those probably was Piers Morgan :D From what I read it was meant to be a joke for those who still remember the word in that context. And they clearly meant the man on the bridge, which makes it racist.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I've never heard the term either.

I wonder if the 2 people that complained to Ofcom had to look it up?
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually you have a good point, that "shot me down in flames!!!:o"
    But the c word means a fanny and it isn't racist?
    Ok Tangled, seeing as you missed the point - if one has heard of the words used to describe South Asians beginning with 'p', and black people, beginning with 'n', does that by itself make that person racist? Of course it bloody doesn't.

Anyway, baldbilluk has already as good as admitted his comment was completely bloody stupid, so it's all good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, baldbilluk has already as good as admitted his comment was completely bloody stupid, so it's all good.

What baldbill is admitting is that he thought that as he was a "decent" person he would not know about the S word, nothing about being racist, it has nothing to do with racism (something I deplore) all I wanted to know was the history of the work and where it came from, the "shot down in flames" message was about assuming that I was a "decent" person not to know about the word, even if I do know about the "C" word