Will this Xfactor beat Strictly?

Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Lets face it Simon wants to beat Strictly not just level the playing field. Will it do it im gonna say I don't know
I still think people who will watch for Mel are already watching the show so it will be down to Simon and Cheryl to get people back and new viewers too. They're obviously going for the controversy fighting,''telling it straight'' angle with Mel, and since Sharon didn't work in that role last year I wonder if Mel will, plus I think people are sick of that angle as the show goes with it a lot and see it as predictable and get bored so they may waste a chance to refresh the show this year with something new and is Mel gonna live in the UK with her family during filming or will she do a Sharon and go back to LA because that may play a factor in how they are on the show

I think the talent and personalities have to be really good this year too, I was hopeful when they announced the big audition tour but then when I saw it was the exact same people picking the talent from the last 3 years I got pretty worried as they haven't really done a great job since taking over in 2011, plus I thought the group of producers that went off to the USA would come back but they didn't so I worry about the talent we will get and the way the show is edited and put together too
Lastly I think the show is up against bigger competition with Strictly and Doctor Who now too so it depends on the Strictly line up and if Peter Capaldi is as good as people are saying.

What do the rest of you think? Either way I think this is make or break for Xfactor this year if ratings dont up by a good bit then ITV will treat the 2 years remaining of Xfactor the way Fox treat American Idol now as a winding down period and the show will be axed when the contract runs out

Wil the XFactor finally beat Strictly and the BBC again? 89 votes

Yes-Xfactor will beat Strictly
14% 13 votes
No- Strictly will beat Xfactor
62% 56 votes
I dont know just yet.
22% 20 votes

Comments

• daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    I doubt it will beat Strictly. Strictly tends to do well no matter how poor their lineup appears to be.

To me, the panel is uninspiring. It just seems like we've seen it all before. I managed to catch an episode of America's Got Talent on the weekend there, and based on what I'd seen, Mel B didn't pique my interest at all.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why must ratings always be about who is on the judging panel?

X Factor is a ten year old show the hype is over in that sense and so are the huge ratings.

Whoever still cares will watch if they feel like it.
  • Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »

X Factor is a ten year old show the hype is over in that sense and so are the huge ratings.

But Strictly is older then Xfactor and gets more then 2 million more viewers? im a Celeb is too but gets better ratings and the rejuvenation of Britain's Got Talent in 2012 after a change of panel from 2011, shows the panel of judges has a massive effect on ratings, you could even use this years Voice in that too, better judges higher figures plus xfactor needs big figures if they want to launch the acts to the biggest platform they can get?
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, X Factor is a dying show. I can't stand strictly but anyone can see that it will beat XF.
  • Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really can't see X Factor beating Dancing
  • davedubdavedub Posts: 8,826
    Forum Member
    way too early to tell and with Brucie gone will be interesting to see if Claudia and Tess can pull in the same viewers as last year, I expect with Cheryl back the first audition in august will pull in massive numbers unfortunatley :D
  • JustChrisMJustChrisM Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    As an X Factor fan, of course Strictly will beat X Factor. X Factor's audience and Strictly's audience are different. I think if the ratings were measured in terms of 18-49 demographics the X Factor would win but that's not the case here.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure just yet.

I think X Factor will start with huge viewers because the hype leading up to it will be crazy plus there's no direct competition for the first stages. I do think that when Strictly starts at the beginning of October it will be big competition though.
    Forum Member
    d56 wrote: »
    I'm not sure just yet.

I think X Factor will start with huge viewers because the hype leading up to it will be crazy plus there's no direct competition for the first stages. I do think that when Strictly starts at the beginning of October it will be big competition though.

The weather could affect the early stages, if it's still sunny in late August then viewers may just not bother starting to watch.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Strictly has benefited from making stars of it's professionals, having a consistent panel and (largely) acquiring the best celebrity cast for any celebrity reality show throughout the year. I think it's going to win comfortably again this year. As a one-time viewer of X Factor and a current viewer of Strictly, it's by far the more pleasant show to watch- no one is ever really humiliated on it.
    Forum Member
    JustChrisM wrote: »
    The weather could affect the early stages, if it's still sunny in late August then viewers may just not bother starting to watch.

Yeah that's true. Whether the weather is decent or not, I do still think it will start off pretty strong. It's just how it holds throughout the series, especially when Strictly starts.

Look at BGT this year, it started off with the highest launch show ever, yet as the series went on, it got the lowest ever semi final rating...
    Forum Member
    Yeah that's true. Whether the weather is decent or not, I do still think it will start off pretty strong. It's just how it holds throughout the series, especially when Strictly starts.

Look at BGT this year, it started off with the highest launch show ever, yet as the series went on, it got the lowest ever semi final rating...

It will also depend on the time it goes out at too, anybody heard anything regarding the times?
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member

I think the Cowell and Biffa factor will attract viewers initially but once they are bored with the mock flirting, the have you got another song routine and find out what a gobby mare Mel B is, the viewers will switch off in droves.
  • ThatJoshThatJosh Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never watched Strictly Come Dancing and have no idea what it's like, so I have no idea.
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    ThatJosh wrote: »
    I've never watched Strictly Come Dancing and have no idea what it's like, so I have no idea.

It's about a thousand times better than X Factor. Make the switch, you owe it to yourself
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strictly has benefited from making stars of it's professionals, having a consistent panel and (largely) acquiring the best celebrity cast for any celebrity reality show throughout the year. I think it's going to win comfortably again this year. As a one-time viewer of X Factor and a current viewer of Strictly, it's by far the more pleasant show to watch- no one is ever really humiliated on it.

This ^^^
    Forum Member
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    It's about a thousand times better than X Factor. Make the switch, you owe it to yourself

It depends what you define as "better"

I personally prefer X Factor, because it feel like such a huge life changing competition for ordinary people with talent, compared to a WAG or an ex Eastender, with a decent life competing for a trophy and some extra work.

Strictly is great Saturday night family entertainment, and I know plenty of people who prefer it, but for me X Factor has that edge because there's actually a serious side to it. You can go from having absolutely nothing in your life, no prospects etc to being a superstar or at least a good career with more than you could ever dream of.
  • pjh8pjh8 Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I knew about two people on last year's strictly where as I knew most of the cast of the last two series of Celebrity Big Brother and last year's I'm A Celebrity..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Now that Mel B has signed on. Definitely scd will trump X factor.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Nope, it won't beat Strictly.
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    Luner13 wrote: »

Exactly, I like the show but I think signing up judges for ratings is ridiculous! I wish Simon gets over his jealousy of Strictly and just focuses on the show instead! :)
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    I think Strictly will beat the X Factor, only because I don't think the judges will get on! Bring back Dannii or Nicole! :)
  • mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it will come down to the talent and the production.
  • DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless there are a lot of people who decided to put of auditioning for a year it appears that UK & Ireland's talent pool has been combed through and there aren't all that many left. I mean Nicholas McDonald getting through to the final :confused:
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    All this panel nonsense means nothing to the ordinary punter. Most people don't read showbiz gossip.

The reason they probably watch the dancing show is down to the fact there is no ads.