Selfridges opens Christmas store in August

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't surprise me actually. You normally find the christmas stuff creeping in to stores towards the end of august with it steadily increasing over the coming months, so something like this is inevitable I think.

I can honestly see a christmas store opening up all year round at some point.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harrods opened their Christmas department in July last year. Ridiculously early!

http://www.harrods.com/content/the-store/news-events/2013/july/visit-harrods%E2%80%99-christmas-world-in-store-now!
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when Christmas was never really thought of or talked about by anyone until November. I wish we could go back to that.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't surprise me actually. You normally find the christmas stuff creeping in to stores towards the end of august with it steadily increasing over the coming months, so something like this is inevitable I think.

There's one at Cheddar Gorge which sells Christmas items and decorations all year.

http://www.oldrowlands.com/

Complete with Santa stood outside all year round! :D

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-m5qaktJdpEQ/TgG5P4gSzWI/AAAAAAAAAi0/lDx2eaoFT8U/DSCF0496_thumb2.jpg?imgmax=800
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There's been a christmas shop near to us in Lechlade since 1984.

THE CHRISTMAS SHOP
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Harrods opened their Christmas department in July last year. Ridiculously early!

http://www.harrods.com/content/the-store/news-events/2013/july/visit-harrods%E2%80%99-christmas-world-in-store-now!

To some extent Harrods have always done that.

It was originally done because a lot of their customers lived overseas and they had to allow enough time for the items to be delivered by ship, although in the past it was never as early as July!!!
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

There's one on Tooley Street.

EDIT: here it is.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member

.......is it something to do with 'climate change' ?
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh ffs this happens every year at around the same time and STILL people are surprised/outraged/shocked/need to start a thread.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a permanent Christmas shop in Laugavegur, Reykjavic when we went recently.

If that can make a living 12 months a year, I guess Selfridges can for 5.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have an all year Christmas shop in Stratford upon Avon. Mad thing is it's actually busy, mainly with tourists though!
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're just back from a trip to the US and Canada. We saw quite a few "year round" Christmas shops.

We saw people shopping in them toom (in June) - it's beyond me I'm afraid. I don't even want to think about Christmas until the beginning of December!
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CABINET wrote: »
    We're just back from a trip to the US and Canada. We saw quite a few "year round" Christmas shops.

We saw people shopping in them toom (in June) - it's beyond me I'm afraid. I don't even want to think about Christmas until the beginning of December!

Likewise. It's yet another thing I just don't understand.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    There's been a christmas shop near to us in Lechlade since 1984.

THE CHRISTMAS SHOP

I've been in that shop a few times and yes I've been in there in the summer :D I went there in the summer because someone had told me about it and I live in Ireland so I don't get to go to it often.
  • DomJollyDomJolly Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But i thought the muslamic ray guns banned Christmas
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been in that shop a few times and yes I've been in there in the summer :D I went there in the summer because someone had told me about it and I live in Ireland so I don't get to go to it often.

We only ever seem to remember to go @ Christmas! :)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    We only ever seem to remember to go @ Christmas! :)

That's no problem if you live locally I guess, but I don't and I'm only really free to travel in the summer as I'm busy with exams in college before Christmas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's no problem if you live locally I guess, but I don't and I'm only really free to travel in the summer as I'm busy with exams in college before Christmas.

My reply wasn't meant as a criticism of when you go, I just meant that even though we could go any time, we only seem to remember the shop is there in December! :)
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Oh ffs this happens every year at around the same time and STILL people are surprised/outraged/shocked/need to start a thread.

and on boxing day the cream eggs are probably in the shops. There is no gap between the hard sell of events any more.
    Not that I give a shite.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate Christmas and New Year. There, I have said it. I love New Year's Day onwards. The nights are getting lighter and the smell of spring is in the air....we'll almost!
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are 2 Christmas shops in Edinburgh open 362 days a year (Closed on Christmas Day, New Years Day and 2nd January Bank Holiday.)

Disney Christmas Shop is open 365 days a year...... in Orlando!
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    There are 2 Christmas shops in Edinburgh open 362 days a year (Closed on Christmas Day, New Years Day and 2nd January Bank Holiday.)

Disney Christmas Shop is open 365 days a year...... in Orlando!

Santa is a seasonal gig. Can't fault the man for trying to earn a buck.
  • R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to tell my Kids that Santa was Shane Richie after they saw the Christmas Succubus and her funsucking Elves.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    and on boxing day the cream eggs are probably in the shops. There is no gap between the hard sell of events any more.
    Not that I give a shite.

Wandering down the 'seasonal' aisle in my local Tesco, back in early January.
    They were flogging off the Xmas stuff cheap. I got some nice tins of Cadbury's biscuits for £2 a tin.
    When I reached the end of the aisle, the last section was full of Cadburys Mini Eggs.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Foreign holiday makers tend to visit in the later summer months and they want to take something worthwhile home, so the posher shops utilise this factor.