Options

Doctor Who Tearjerkers

Comments

• Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    An hour wasn't long enough for you to register an emotional reaction?

Apparently not.

The regeneration wasn't powerful at all, I started to tear during his speech then he changed with the click of a finger and I just stopped and was like, oh.

I would have liked the 9/10 regeneration scheme to carry on, preferably with the music when Amy is taken by the angel.
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Hmm hard to think, best 3 i can come up with.
    School reunion. With k9 at the end.
    Van gogh. When the guy said van gogh was best painter ever.
    When the guy with Peter Davison crashed into the planet. Was it edric?
  • Options
    VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, the following are probably the most tear-jerking moments:

Zoe's departure in The War Games: "I thought I'd forgotten something important, but it's nothing..." (though that backwards look is held just a little too long).

The end of The Green Death, when the Doctor realises that he has the entire universe to offer Jo, and it still isn't enough: he leaves the party unobtrusively, alone.

Nemini's death in The Web Planet: it came out of nowhere & Ian's reactions sell the moment.
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    chattswho wrote: »
    I heard that too. Similar to an on-screen married couple who appeared in a sitcom in the 60's. Worked brilliantly together on screen, hated each other off it. Steptoe & son hated each other off screen as well i believe.

Wilfrid Bramble (Old Man Steptoe) was gay, while Harry H Corbett ('Arold) was an extreme homophobe.

It was so bad that when they flew out to tour Australia, Corbett wouldn't even share the same plane as his co-star.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    Was it edric?

don't you bloody start :D
  • Options
    The Icon V2The Icon V2 Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just started watching the rebooted seasons over the last few weeks.

Personally i felt Matt's exit was more to the viewer with his speech

"I always will be. But times change, and so must I... we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that's okay, that's good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I swear. I will always remember when the Doctor was me."

It was more direct to us, instead of a character on the TV, i did HATE how quick they changed from Matt to Peter. that did kinda just ruin the moment for me.

Character to Character wise. I always teared up when i watched Wilfred and The Doctor where he offers to stay in the box. but for sure i think Rose & The Doctor was one of them moments that was also done perfectly. just as you think he's going to say I Love You.. Gone.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Well it was an hour of rushed and condensed set pieces with a regeneration thrown into the final 5 minutes.

I agree. I watched it back a month ago and thought it was pretty much an hours of nothingness which was created just for a regeneration - and to give Moffat the chance of answering the how many times can a time lord regenerate question. I did however, love the Amy appearance and the quick transformation into Capaldi.
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why all this emphasis on negative "tear-jerkers"? Why only the sad moments? Those of you who are given to shedding tears at the TV, how about mentioning events in Dr Who which elicited tears of happiness or joy? Think positive!

Example: entrance of the Curator Doctor (we half-knew Tom was going to show up somewhere, but still...)
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone I know was so affected by Adric's death that she has never watched Doctor Who again from that day to this.

And I was devastated by Donna's departure - so much so that I had to concoct a continuation of her story in my head, which involved a very happy life, and ended with the Doctor visiting her on her deathbed, whereupon she safely remembered all her adventures with him. Then he took her for one last trip to the Ood planet and she expired peacefully and contentedly.

I know it's sad. I mean me, not the story. Though that is as well.

Actually it was a better story than the one RTD eventually landed her with. I've always preferred mine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    Why all this emphasis on negative "tear-jerkers"? Why only the sad moments? Those of you who are given to shedding tears at the TV, how about mentioning events in Dr Who which elicited tears of happiness or joy? Think positive!

Example: entrance of the Curator Doctor (we half-knew Tom was going to show up somewhere, but still...)

Some of us like shedding tears of woe. Or perhaps it's just me. (Maybe why 10's my favourite ;-):))
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only time I've teared up was when they took Vincent into the future.!

I was sad about Donna though.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone I know was so affected by Adric's death that she has never watched Doctor Who again from that day to this.

And I was devastated by Donna's departure - so much so that I had to concoct a continuation of her story in my head, which involved a very happy life, and ended with the Doctor visiting her on her deathbed, whereupon she safely remembered all her adventures with him. Then he took her for one last trip to the Ood planet and she expired peacefully and contentedly.

I know it's sad. I mean me, not the story. Though that is as well.

Actually it was a better story than the one RTD eventually landed her with. I've always preferred mine.

That's so bizarre! I once invented an entire ending in my head where Donna was finally able to remember and we see her decades later reading story books of her adventures to her family in a secluded country house. It was sort of spurred on by the pictures Eleven kept through they years on Trenzalore. I loved that idea. And then finally the Tardis sound appears again and out steps the Doctor to take Donna on a tour of all that they did so she can see first hand the changes she made. She wasn't ever quite sure if they were just stories in her head. But then finally at the end of her life she can know once again that it was all real. Awwwww!

and it should be Twelve. How fitting that the doctor with the face of a man she once implored him to save would come to say goodbye and thank you.

Much better than sacking her off with a lottery ticket. RTD never did as well when he went back to things he had ended so perfectly in the first place. In fact who does?
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Donna's mind wipe and her sacrifice in Turn Left got me. I was also a bit of a wreck for the last quarter or so of Time of the Doctor. Also tend to go rather glassy eyed when Wilf gets emotional.

From C20, probably because of my age at the time, Nyssa, Tegan and, yes, Adric's endings got to me, but from my current perspective, Hartnell's Doctors farewell to Susan is a killer.

I don't do tears of joy or actually cry at the above cos I'm a bloke, obviously. ;-)
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Whilst I would not say they made me cry much lumpage of the throat was to be had.

Old man Tim Latimer at the war memorial service in Family of Blood

Roses ‘My Daddy’ line in Fathers Day. (Ok this one did and still does make tear up)

Bad Wolf Bay scene in Doomsday. (Wonderful Drama, really showed what the show was capable of and all on a family afternoon show)

Ecclestons hologram turning to face Rose in Parting of The Ways
    Tennants performance during the Gallifrey speech in Gridlock
    The whole ‘Rugged Cross’ scene in Gridlock.
    Vincent visiting the Art Gallery in Vincent and The Doctor.
    Donnas 'I understand it now' speech in Turn Left.
    Any time Wilf gave a salute.

And for some bizarre reason when the Doctor ‘finds’ the TARDIS (or the TARDIS ‘finds’ the Doctor) in The Satan Pit. Yeah, strange one that, don’t ask me why.:confused::confused:
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Adric's death as i liked him
    Peris changing in the Timelords trial and her death as it was at the time
    Survival as they head off knowing there was no more
    When the guy Ace fancied died in remembrance
    Curse of Fenric in the pool at the end when Ace accepts herself (my perception of that)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's so bizarre! I once invented an entire ending in my head where Donna was finally able to remember and we see her decades later reading story books of her adventures to her family in a secluded country house. It was sort of spurred on by the pictures Eleven kept through they years on Trenzalore. I loved that idea. And then finally the Tardis sound appears again and out steps the Doctor to take Donna on a tour of all that they did so she can see first hand the changes she made. She wasn't ever quite sure if they were just stories in her head. But then finally at the end of her life she can know once again that it was all real. Awwwww!

and it should be Twelve. How fitting that the doctor with the face of a man she once implored him to save would come to say goodbye and thank you.

Much better than sacking her off with a lottery ticket. RTD never did as well when he went back to things he had ended so perfectly in the first place. In fact who does?

My story was that Donna retained a tiny bit of Time Lord wonderfulness, which meant that she did heroic things like saving people from burning buildings, for which she got a bravery award from the mayor, which led to a fantastic job, and she met a gorgeous bloke (a dead ringer for Lee in FotD) with whom she was very happy - they had two children and one became a Doctor while the other was a scientist working for NASA.

Meanwhile Wilfred had told the husband in confidence about the Doctor and Donna's adventures with him, and the husband told the children, but they didn't believe it until the day their very elderly mother was lying alone on her hospital bed and they heard a strange thrumming noise coming from inside her room - only to find when they went in that Donna had gone!

But it was 10 who came back for her, in my story. It had to be 10.

The children were called Josh and Ella.

Not that I thought about it much, or anything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cried a little bit with joy when I saw Peter Capaldi's eyes in the 50th. But when Tom Baker turned up, oh my god, up came about 30 years worth of Loving Tom Baker's Doctor Since I Was A Little Kid Hiding Behind A Cushion.

Anything that harks back to stuff that mattered to me watching Who as a kid makes me well up a bit. Chris Ecclestone had a few good speeches. When he saw that Dalek for the first time... shivers... Does that count?

I can't remember if I was emotional when Ecclestone went. Probably was, because it was the first time I'd seen a regeneration that actually meant something to me in so long*.

I had got quite weary of Tennant's Doctor (mostly his dialogue, it was all a bit obvious now) so wasn't that sad to see him go, plus the way he went was a bit bobbins. Was more upset by Bernard Cribbins having to die instead.

(*that one in the movie doesn't count, I could tell within seconds of that thing coming on TV that I was going to absolutely loathe it, whereas I did actually quite like the reboot despite how terribly cheesy it looks and sounds now)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogmatix wrote: »

This, times infinity PLUS infinity. Times infinity again.

+1.

And so on.

:D

I cried like a baby - when i heard his voice offscreen it was like an electric bolt went through me, AND THEN THERE HE WAS. I cried. omigod it was awesome.

;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Apparently not.

The regeneration wasn't powerful at all, I started to tear during his speech then he changed with the click of a finger and I just stopped and was like, oh.

I would have liked the 9/10 regeneration scheme to carry on, preferably with the music when Amy is taken by the angel.

Yeah I have to say, I was the same. Right down to the almost starting to really feel it, this is the last time the Doctor will be this man, y'know I really feel for him, I;'m starting to well up and HOLY SHIT it's PETER CAPALDI! :D

Well *that's* never happened before, I thought - and that was it, moment lost, but hey, PETER CAPALDI! :D

I do actually like it like that, because I think it heralded a whole new 'to the point'ness of the new Doctor, but it did have the effect of denying me that last moment with the old Doctor, if you see what I mean.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    For me the closest I've come to actually crying at Doctor Who was when Donna left at the end of Series 4. There was no consolation prize for her at the time, and her fate was the closest we've come to having a genuine death in NuWho. What made it harder was that she became so likeable so quickly, and that we saw what small beginnings she'd come from so we knew full well what she was going back to. It was as much a tragedy for Wilf as well, who was another character we'd grown to love. To top it off, we didn't have the distraction of another companion to replace her until Amy came along - her "death" had the genuine consequence of setting the Doctor on a lonely, darker path that eventually led to his regeneration.

Amy's exit was brilliantlly done - the scene itself at least. Karen Gillan, Matt Smith and Alex Kingston all gave 110% for that, and it was superbly done. Had the scene had a bit more room to breathe rather than rushing from one bit to the next it would have been even more powerful. Had that pacing issue not messed with Amy's character development over Series 5, 6 and 7 so much she might have been a bit more investable and I might have actually cared even more.

I kind of cared when Rose left in Series 2 - not because I remotely cared for the annoying Ten/Rose pairing but because she was my first companion, I quite liked her and it was the first time we'd had a tug-at-the-heartstrings exit for a lead in NuWho - Eccleston's had been a lot more subtle (and was better for it) a year earlier.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me the biggest year jerker was Donna's exit.

Rose, whilst sad, in the end she got what she wanted. To spend her life with the doctor.

Amy left to be with Rory. Sad but there was no way she was going to not chose him. She had a happy life with the love of her life.

Donna to me is saddest. She wanted to travel with him forever. She didn't want to go back to being a nobody. And not only did she have to, she had to do so and lose the knowledge that for a while she was the most important woman in the entire universe. She lost all knowledge of the amazing adventures and lost the knowledge that she had in fact saved not only the doctor but the universe. I found that the worst outcome. At least had she died she would have died a hero. As it was she had to live a life knowing nothing of the amazing things she had done.

I also the rewatched River's first episode a few weeks back and thought it a fantastic tear jerker. Now. Having seen her story play out what other way could she have died than saving her beloved Doctor after living her entire life having great adventures with him. What a perfectly fitting ending.

For me also, the moment when Suffle girl was revealed to be a Dalek.

But there's been so many happy tear jerkers too. Ten finally seeing Rose again is probably my favourite. Closely followed by all 13 doctors saving Galifray!
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think one of the biggest tear jerkers for me, that hasn't been mentioned much, if at all. Was Rory's first death and Amy's reaction, also the fact the Doctor had to take her to the TARDIS to protect her from the crack.

I avoid spoilers (or try to at least) so had no idea Rory would be back.

I've just watched Matt's regeneration and his speech got me teary eyed. Mostly because I've really enjoyed his doctor and Capaldi is starting in just over a week's time. I loved when he dropped the bow tie on the floor, it sort of made it final 'bye bye 11th Doctor (ok so technically 13 or 12, depending on your view!)
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cried twice at Doc Who

Amy leaving to join Rory in the past

Van Gogh seeing his gallery in his future!
  • Options
    BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I never really find exits too emotional tbh (maybe because we know so far in advance that they're coming so by the time they happen it feels almost like old news) - and often the more that they try for emotion the more they fall short (Tennant's exit in particular is terrible for this. I was actually shouting "DIE ALREADY!" at the screen...)

That said, Susan and Jo had very moving departures.

That's not to say that I haven't teared up in Doctor Who more than once. It's NuWho that's the main offender:

-As many have said, the bit when Vincent goes to the gallery is just perfect.
    -The bit in Wedding Of River Song: "I've sent a message everywhere. To the future and the past, the beginning and the end of everything. "The Doctor is dying. Please, please help." The sky is full of a million million voices, saying, "Yes of course. We'll help." You've touched so many lives, saved so many people. Did you think when your time came you'd really have to do more than just ask?" That gets me every darn time.
    - Also, I actually found War's regeneration really tearfully uplifting. He's realised that he's still The Doctor, and he goes out with that smile... [So much for exits not getting to me, haha]
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about when 11 is told that the Brig has died??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGjlk6ZH1Qc