Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    SMIDSYmk2 wrote: »
    Yes but i think its to early for mating season.

Im certain you are right. Although i live in the corner of a field full of cows, i know little about it too.
    Spent over half an hour Saturday night in the pissing rain persuading a calf that the grass in my garden did not taste as good as in the field. It wasn't the calf that was causing me concern, it was the other 20 cows that were looking on over the fence enviously:o
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of these have already been covered, but my observations from tonight are.....

-When Lloyd and Andrea were doing a countdown to Neil's plane leaving, you just knew that as soon as they reached zero, Andrea would turn round to see, guess who, walking into the pub

-Once we knew that Leanne had a job in the Kebab Shop, that we'd see Nick go in there, even though he's probably never once set foot in there before (and we also got to see Dev in there for a change!(

-When Lloyd and Andrea were settling down to watch a film, and he asked her to close the blinds, as predictably as the pub scene it was obvious she'd see him on the street

-Rob mentioned to Tracy that there was "a caravan behind your dad's car". So even though Ken had hired the caravan, he'd used his own car. Guessing he'd not already got a tow bar on it (why would he need one?) so not only had he got it fitted very swiftly, but it'd probably have cost him a few hundred quid to get it done. Oh, unless Tyrone did it for the price of a pint of course!

-The cow and bull scene. We had the drama shots of the cows starting to walk towards Ken and Deirdre, but then on the long shots, they hadn't moved at all. However, this was not surprising as, if you looked closely enough, you could see that they were corralled behind a difficult to spot fence!

Incidentally, regarding Neil's car parked by The Rovers. We had a view of a street going parallel to Coronation Street that I don't think we've seen before, and it appeared to continue past where the side street (name escapes me) should have gone? :confused:
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it implied that Simon WASN'T back at school yet, despite last Friday's frequent mentions of "back to school" having come and gone?
  • Options
    RedpoppyRedpoppy Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deidre must have a very large bladder - they'd arrived at the caravan site the night before yet she told Tracey that she hadn't visited the toilets yet! :D

Also when she was on the phone to Tracey she said she had to go as Ken was coming back (seen walking across the field towards caravan) but as she was putting the phone down he suddenly appeared inside! :confused:

Would you really borrow a pair of walking boots from a total stranger and expect your wife/partner to wear them? :o
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of these have already been covered, but my observations from tonight are.....

-When Lloyd and Andrea were doing a countdown to Neil's plane leaving, you just knew that as soon as they reached zero, Andrea would turn round to see, guess who, walking into the pub

-Once we knew that Leanne had a job in the Kebab Shop, that we'd see Nick go in there, even though he's probably never once set foot in there before (and we also got to see Dev in there for a change!(

-When Lloyd and Andrea were settling down to watch a film, and he asked her to close the blinds, as predictably as the pub scene it was obvious she'd see him on the street

-Rob mentioned to Tracy that there was "a caravan behind your dad's car". So even though Ken had hired the caravan, he'd used his own car. Guessing he'd not already got a tow bar on it (why would he need one?) so not only had he got it fitted very swiftly, but it'd probably have cost him a few hundred quid to get it done. Oh, unless Tyrone did it for the price of a pint of course!

-The cow and bull scene. We had the drama shots of the cows starting to walk towards Ken and Deirdre, but then on the long shots, they hadn't moved at all. However, this was not surprising as, if you looked closely enough, you could see that they were corralled behind a difficult to spot fence!

Incidentally, regarding Neil's car parked by The Rovers. We had a view of a street going parallel to Coronation Street that I don't think we've seen before, and it appeared to continue past where the side street (name escapes me) should have gone? :confused:

All very predictable. Predicting - used as a a teaching strategy. Very basic in lower primary. Children can usually foretell the outcome. As they develop, variables come into play and outcomes vary.

Now where does Corrie fit? Oh yes, everyone can always tell the outcome. So the quality is at the level of 7 years and under is it?

Crikey, I'm not expecting complex plots but do try a little harder Corrie.
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Did anyone notice that when Leanne was in the cafe sitting behind Andrea and Lloyd, she didn't speak till they'd finished their scene?! She was just siting there waiting for her scene. It was hardly seamless and very poorly done - very amateur IMO.

Wasn't she reading the visiting order to go and see Peter, or something?
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really an SOR, but to revisit the issue of barm or roll or sandwich or whatever, I see that on the blackboard in the cafe in the yard at "Scrappers" the lower left side has a list of barms.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member

The bull can be put with the cows at any time the farmer sees fit as calves can be born throughout the year, unlike sheep where farmers aim for lambs in the spring. If I thought there was a bull in the field, I'd get out as soon as I could. As they get older they can become very unpredictable.

I certainly wouldn't walk across the middle of a field with cows - several people have been killed by stampeding cows - but stick to the edge so at least you can throw yourself into the hedge if the do suddenly go.

I too noticed them being in the same fenced part of the field at the end of the scene as they were at the start in spite of them supposedly walking after Ken and Deirdre.

I'm surprised the writers missed the trick of them taking Eccles with them and into a field of cows - they hate dogs, and they could have done one of their so-called comedy scenes even though in real life it could have been very dangerous.
  • Options
    peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    Ken said Meredith with the emphasis on Red. Surely the pronunciation is with the emphasis on Mer?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    I too noticed them being in the same fenced part of the field at the end of the scene as they were at the start in spite of them supposedly walking after Ken and Deirdre.

I'm surprised the writers missed the trick of them taking Eccles with them and into a field of cows - they hate dogs, and they could have done one of their so-called comedy scenes even though in real life it could have been very dangerous.

I''m surprised no one has noticed that the actors were not really in the field with he cows. Look again (if you can bear to), they were superimposed, and not very well at that, over the film of the cows. Think it is a studio technique where the actors are filmed in front of a green screen and the film put in after. (That is how they do the Harry Potter flying scenes etc).

Obviously Corrie does not have a very big budget for this as there was no outside influences added such as wind our other noises. Very poorly done. You could actually see the "joins" around the actors outlines.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Steve commented that Michelle missed a flight to Dublin because she was trying on sunglasses at the airport. Sunglasses would hardly be an indispensable item for use in Dublin.

Ken and Deirdre decide to play a game of snap with a standard pack of playing cards. Pure nonsense. .No cards would be identical. They would need a deck of cards specially made for snap.

Neil has never before been seen turning up in the street in a car. Now his car is prominently featured in scenes. Surely he would have disposed of his car when he took the decision to move permanently abroad.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ken and Deirdre decide to play a game of snap with a standard pack of playing cards. Pure nonsense. .No cards would be identical. They would need a deck of cards specially made for snap.

They way I played snap, way back in the annals of my youth, was you got a 'snap' for the same number or a Jack, Queen or King as the previous card, irrespective of the suit.

My granddaughters now play it the same way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I play Snap with my young grandson all the time with a standard pack of cards. We snap the numbers or the court cards. So a King with King or five with five. Easy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Corrie Kebab Shop

Nick: Hello Dev.
    Dev: Hello Nick.
    Nick: I have 2 burgers a month.
    Dev: I know you have 2 burgers a month.
    Nick: I'm here for one of those 2 burgers a month that I have.
    Dev: So, you're here for one of those 2 burgers a month that you have.
    Nick: Yes, because I have 2 burgers a month.
    Dev: Yes, you have 2 burgers a month.
    Nick: Can I have one of my 2 burgers a month?
    Dev: Yes, you can have one of your 2 burgers a month.

Enter Leanne

Nick: Sneer.

Cut!

• Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chestfield wrote: »
    Was it implied that Simon WASN'T back at school yet, despite last Friday's frequent mentions of "back to school" having come and gone?

'Back to school' wasn't mentioned on Friday, just that school was going on as usual, with Simon doing his homework, the children at the ice cream van after school, and Max to be collected from school. The fact that schools had actually finished for the summer seemed to have been forgotten. Belatedly last night, the school holidays were acknowledged.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peaches41 wrote: »
    Ken said Meredith with the emphasis on Red. Surely the pronunciation is with the emphasis on Mer?

Not in Welsh where the emphasis would be on the second syllable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Corrie Kebab Shop

Enter Leanne

Cut!

You've forgotten this bit:

Neil: He has 2 burgers a month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've forgotten this bit:

Neil: He has 2 burgers a month.

Damn!

But do you think the viewers got the message that Nick has 2 burgers a month? :D

And what's the probability that he decided to have one of his 2 burgers a month when Leanne was there? :D
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    The most cringeworthy and predicable scene in the history of television EVER was the Steve/Lloyd/Andrea countdown in the pub.
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    So does this mean we are going to treated to sight of Leanne giving it to Nick twice a month now?:p
  • Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Corrie Kebab Shop

Enter Leanne

Cut!

That's good. Not far off it either. Mind you, I expect we'll be seeing Nick in the kebab shop more now that Leanne's working there.
  • Options
    ayrshire lassayrshire lass Posts: 4,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most cringeworthy and predicable scene in the history of television EVER was the Steve/Lloyd/Andrea countdown in the pub.

That scene in the pub really annoyed me, Andrea doing a countdown for her husband leaving the country and out of her life, considering they were married for 20 years and he was seemingly a good husband who loved her. Quite cruel, I thought. She really has a catch now in that pudgy faced loser LLoyd ! Why do they keep giving him women who are years younger and quite attractive, the one who suited him the best was Theresa, Sinbad's ex wife(if anyone remembers her), she was more in his league.
  • Options
    MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spjkelly wrote: »
    Max's SDHD (storyline driven health disorder) was OK today because the scene didn't warrant him to be naughty.

I think Michael being at hospital might be a viable excuse for missing his bail

Love it!
  • Options
    loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member

-When Lloyd and Andrea were settling down to watch a film, and he asked her to close the blinds, as predictably as the pub scene it was obvious she'd see him on the street.

Not so much a SOR as a bit of bad acting but when Andrea went to close the blinds, instead of just closing them and noticing Neil outside, she specifically looked out and it just happened to be where Neil was standing.

That and the Neil-walking-into-the-pub-right-after-the-countdown moment were so predictable.
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Corrie Kebab Shop

But after all that, he didn't have one of his two burgers a month, so does this mean that he can legitimately keep going back and not having one, until such a time as he succumbs and actually does have one, at which point he then has to wait 15 days before going back in again? :confused:
    And what's the probability that he decided to have one of his 2 burgers a month when Leanne was there? :D

Every probability! In fact, telegraphing the fact that he hardly ever goes in but just happened to have one of his two visits a month coinciding with Leanne being there, to my mind underlines even more that the CS scriptwriters and/or producer do in fact read this thread and are taking the Michael (as played by Les Dennis ;) )

Hello Coronation Street scriptwriters and producer! :D
This discussion has been closed.