Options

Would you axe Ian if you were EP?

EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,316
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey I know that a lot of people hate Ian but would you axe Ian if you were EP? IMO Ian is part of the furniture and is a original character and no matter what people think of Ian if you hate him or love him Adam Woodyatt is a great actor. Ian IMO should always be in Eastenders.

Would you axe Ian if you were EP? 91 votes

Yes
21%
numacdmossy2103[Deleted User]eye3NoushAngela[Deleted User]sheila bligesamcains90JustChrisM[Deleted User]ryanr554trevor tigerEEAS1997brbReisOreillycolourgreen[Deleted User]Al_Stack[Deleted User] 20 votes
No
78%
SULLAAcerBenJuls_HDippitandallthatjazzLady Voldemortpembo2004pegasus2SecretLifeoBeesflyingvjamesc_715dd68KFATesphenshandersozziemerlindavedubShazla09SuperSoaperAvalanche 71 votes

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poll added soon
  • Options
    Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,042
    Forum Member
    No
    I'm not liking the character right now and hoping he gets his comeuppance, especially as everyone has been so good to him recently. He's being really selfish lately.
    But he must be a good actor to make us feel that way so I say we should keep him.
    I only just noticed recently that he's started to wear glasses. I suppose Adam has started to wear them in real life.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes. Off with his head!
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,273
    Forum Member
    No
    Dont like his character atm, but noway would I axe Adam.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where is the "dont mind if he stays or goes" option on this poll
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I'd be sorely tempted but I'd probably just send him on a nice long holiday.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    No he's a fantastic squirming weasel. I don't like him but I don't think we're meant to.
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian is a despicable human being, but EastEnders wouldn't be the same without him.
  • Options
    lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I wouldn't axe Ian Beale as Adam is part of the furniture. I know he's the longest running actor and everything but he doesn't give me the same presence onscreen that Wendy Richard's character Pauline gave us when she was the longest running actor. She seemed really domineering onscreen and to me she FELT like the longest serving actor. Same as Ken Barlow and Alan Turner. Both these characters are long running characters and they both felt superior on screen to the other characters. With Ian I don't feel this. Does this make sense? Sorry if this sounds stupid or confusing. Basically if Ian was axed I wouldn't miss him like I missed Pauline when she left. Pauline in my opinion has left a bigger mark on the show than Ian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    Ian is a despicable human being, but EastEnders wouldn't be the same without him.

This. Also Phil is just as bad not telling Denise and so is Mick.
  • Options
    Ozboz3Ozboz3 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No way! He's a legend and is part of what makes up EastEnders. I'm sure no EP could ever axe Adam Woodyatt anyway
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't axe Ian Beale as Adam is part of the furniture. I know he's the longest running actor and everything but he doesn't give me the same presence onscreen that Wendy Richard's character Pauline gave us when she was the longest running actor. She seemed really domineering onscreen and to me she FELT like the longest serving actor. Same as Ken Barlow and Alan Turner. Both these characters are long running characters and they both felt superior on screen to the other characters. With Ian I don't feel this. Does this make sense? Sorry if this sounds stupid or confusing. Basically if Ian was axed I wouldn't miss him like I missed Pauline when she left. Pauline in my opinion has left a bigger mark on the show than Ian.

This makes perfect sense. I've thought it for a long time. Wendy Richard leaving was a big deal because Pauline was a respected matriarchal character and truly felt like she was an integral part of the show. Ian is a dirty old man and the joke of the square. It is only because Woodyatt has never left to try other things that Ian is part of the furniture. The character on his own is contemptable. Before this year I'd have voted "no" to axing him but the character has become absolutely vile and irredeemable lately. I don't enjoy watching him any longer nor do I feel inclined to excuse his behaviour for nostalgic reasons. The Beales were great in tandem with the Fowlers. Ever since Pauline died and Ian became the last Beale standing that family hasn't been as vital as it once was. All of Ian's kids and his smug wife Jane are awful into the bargain.
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    No
    No I wouldn't axe him, he's being a **** at the moment but he's panicking and he is primarily a good character just a bit of a git!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This makes perfect sense. I've thought it for a long time. Wendy Richard leaving was a big deal because Pauline was a respected matriarchal character and truly felt like she was an integral part of the show. Ian is a dirty old man and the joke of the square. It is only because Woodyatt has never left to try other things that Ian is part of the furniture. The character on his own is contemptable. Before this year I'd have voted "no" to axing him but the character has become absolutely vile and irredeemable lately. I don't enjoy watching him any longer nor do I feel inclined to excuse his behaviour for nostalgic reasons. The Beales were great in tandem with the Fowlers. Ever since Pauline died and Ian became the last Beale standing that family hasn't been as vital as it once was. All of Ian's kids and his smug wife Jane are awful into the bargain.

+ 1

Ian has never been a character I could get behind. A boring self centred kid who's grown into a boring self centred man. He now has the most boring family in the show, especially if boring Jane returns with yet another boring Bobby.

So many wonderful originals that I'd love to have stayed and we get stuck with Ian.:(
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a clause in every EPs contract to say they cannot get rid of Ian.
  • Options
    davedubdavedub Posts: 8,826
    Forum Member
    No
    No way!!! Really enjoying Ian and Phil scenes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    + 1

Ian has never been a character I could get behind. A boring self centred kid who's grown into a boring self centred man. He now has the most boring family in the show, especially if boring Jane returns with yet another boring Bobby.

So many wonderful originals that I'd love to have stayed and we get stuck with Ian.:(

Dot may not be a absolute original since she missed the first 5 or 6 months but I consider her to be more valuable a character than Ian if we're basing it on nostalgic reasons. Pat is another I would have put above Ian. There's another character I'd also place above Ian but I won't mention her since I know you'll disagree:p
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dot was out of it for a number of years too, still an original character though.
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    No
    No chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dot was out of it for a number of years too, still an original character though.

I think the writers like to forget Dot was absent for a few years. She's been known to reference events she wasn't present for like Sharon's **** shaming by the square:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dot may not be a absolute original since she missed the first 5 or 6 months but I consider her to be more valuable a character than Ian if we're basing it on nostalgic reasons. Pat is another I would have put above Ian. There's another character I'd also place above Ian but I won't mention her since I know you'll disagree:p

I would definitely put her above Ian in those first few years, maybe even now.:)

I was thinking more of Arthur, Mark, Sue, Lou etc. I'd even prefer the wooden Dr Legg....no maybe not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    I would definitely put her above Ian in those first few years, maybe even now.:)

I was thinking more of Arthur, Mark, Sue, Lou etc. I'd even prefer the wooden Dr Legg....no maybe not.

It's a shame so many brilliant original characters have been lost. Kudos to Woodyatt for sticking with the show but we'll never know his reasons why. It could be due to loyalty, lack of acting ambition or job security. Whatever his reasons I still don't like his character:D
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    No because the Weasel will cry if he was axed,

Jokes aside, continuity and familiarity is good for the show!
  • Options
    lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I always class Dot as an original and everyone I know think she's been in the show since the first episode. I never correct them aha. But I agree with one of the above posts. The producers do try to forget Dot left the show in the mid 90's. Ian is a useless character.
  • Options
    QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Why would anybody axe Ian Beale, seriously?
    Even if you hate the character, why in the seven hells (Game of Thrones reference) would you axe an original character unless you're Stuart Blackburn or Bryan Kirkwood?