Options

Who Is The Best Male Companion?

Comments

• Options
    Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Not much love here for peter purves character steven taylor. Love his dry sarcasm in the time meddler, see a bit of myself in him. Would love to see him in the massacre if it is ever found.

I agree. I was reading the comments here & was a bit surprised at the positive response for Ian & little comment about Steven. Steven was particularly good in The Time Meddler & yes maybe its difficult to rate him with several stories missing.

I don't have anything against Ian really except maybe he was a little bit bland & old fashioned, and I think the interaction was probably better (or maybe enjoyable) with Barbara than the Doctor.

...actually, before anyone else takes a cheap shot, that does sound a little dodgy, I meant verbal interaction (of course) ;-)

And in terms of my favourites I like them all -all different & interesting (bar Adric). My favourites were Harry, then Captain Jack, then Jamie, then Steven & Rory. Ian & Mickey were both ok. Turlough was probably the most interesting of the lot. Ben -there's not a lot there to watch of him, maybe the most 1 dimensional & possibly getting all of his episodes back won't actually add much here, of course I could always listen to the missing episodes rather than making unsubstantiated judgement calls.

You could argue that for one episode at least The Brigadier was in fact a companion -The Three Doctors, but I tend to agree with other views -lets leave the old school military men out of it as they were really Earth based. What about Craig? I thought he was really good but he didn't travel in the Tardis either (I think).
    But you guys forgot about one of the best of the lot -Bernard Cribbins as Wilfred Mott!! Oh if he was 20 or so years younger he could still be appearing -a great character played by a great character actor! :)
  • Options
    gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As with many things in Doctor Who the sixties are the best here with Ian, Stephen, Ben & Jamie all great companions.

After that I don't count the Brig but Harry & Turlough are probably next then Jack and then the rest a long way behind. Rory is my least favourite by a mile.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not much love here for peter purves character steven taylor. Love his dry sarcasm in the time meddler, see a bit of myself in him. Would love to see him in the massacre if it is ever found.

I do like Steven, but found him a bit annoying at first, not Adric style annoying, but he seemed very cocky and slightly arrogant which compared to Ian, who was all charming and pleasant, just didn't have that same vibe as he did.

However, I found the later stories with him in that he did become more friendlier. He did really well in The Dalek Masterplan, having two deaths to cope with and in The Massacre as well, where he had to lead in the absence of The Doctor for most of the story. There were funny moments in The Gunfighters and in the Xmas Episode of The Dalek Masterplan as well. And his last story, The Savages, he was good in as well.

As I just said, I think the real problem with Steven is that he didn't have the same vibe with The Doctor as Ian had. There was a bond, off course, but it just lacked that humour that Ian had with him. That's why I think Jamie and Harry are more popular, as they had more of a humorous bond with The Doctor.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Is the Brigadier a companion? I've always felt he was - out of interest, do those who think the answer is no, do they not think Liz was a companion either? Or Sara Kingdom who only travelled with the Doctor during one story? The Brigadier travelled in the TARDIS (on TV) in The Three Doctors, Mawdryn Undead and the Five Doctors - and as the Night of the Doctor made all Big Finish canonical, he also travelled with the Doctor during The Three Companions - the name of that official story making it rather clear that they regard the Brigadier as a companion. And yes, he is my favourite.

Jamie would be in second place for me - a wonderful relationship with Pat Troughton. And... there are several others I really like over both the original and the new series. But these are IMHO the two who stand head and shoulders above the others.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamie first and Steven second. :)
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jamie way ahead.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    If say Turlough as he was complex and I liked Adric too as he's cool
    Karmelion counts as he travelled with the Doctor but the Brigadier didn't travel in the TARDIS with him
  • Options
    krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    My favourites would be Jamie and Captain Jack. They're both funny, loyal and brave (and rather nice-looking too) IMO. I really like the Brigadier (if he counts as a companion), Harry, Mickey and Wilf, too.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    If I ranked them as 'Pretty Boys', I would say:-

1. Ben
    2. Jamie
    3. Capt. Jack
    4. Mickey
    5. Adam
    6. Steven
    7. Turlough (with those shorts)
    8.Harry
    9. Capt. Yates
    10. Adric (well, bless him....got to include him!)

:):):)
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Ian of course.

Followed by Harry, then Rory. The Brigadier was quite annoying in Pertwee's era :D
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Pertwee years were different to the rest of Who. All of the UNIT family basically filled the roles of assistants/companions in my eyes
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only really remember the new series ones and out of those I like Mickey the most. I liked how he properly developed over those 4 series and even as a secondary character he went on a journey and changed.

Jack was great at first but I find Barrowman quite limited as an actor so he didn't really have a load of depth.

Rory just remained the 'nice guy who deserves the girl' trope the entire change. Hardly any development from his character and tbh I wish he'd stayed out of the whole of series 5 so we could see Amy and the Doctor and how their friendship developed without the extra baggage.
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »

Jack was great at first but I find Barrowman quite limited as an actor so he didn't really have a load of depth.

I think Barrowman's acting improved during TW Children of Earth, thanks to director Eros Lyn.

and OT , but I think hes really good in Arrow .

I had a crush on Turlough :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourites would be Jamie and Captain Jack. They're both funny, loyal and brave (and rather nice-looking too) IMO. I really like the Brigadier (if he counts as a companion), Harry, Mickey and Wilf, too.

Wilf is my favorite companion in the 21st Century Doctor Who.

The Brigadier counts, he traveled in the Tardis (in the 5 Doctors, I think).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Brian Williams
  • Options
    bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rionia wrote: »

I had a crush on Turlough :blush:

You can't beat a naughty ginger rascal. He did have a certain effect on me too.

Although, I'd vote for Harry. Brave and bumbling, he had a great rapport with the Doctor and Sarah. I wish they all travelled longer together.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    The Brigadier, Jack, Jamie and Ian.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry Sullivan was the best male companion in my opinion, the balance between him and the doctor and Sarah Jane was brilliant, one of the best Tardis crews they`ve ever had.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Favourite three: Rory, Ian, Jamie.

Although I love The Brigadier and Captain Jack Harkness, I am not sure that I would refer to them as companions.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's Been A Few Male Companions Over The Years, But Which One Do You Guys Think Is The Best? :)

Ian Chesterton
    Steven Taylor
    Ben Jackson
    Jame McCrimmon
    Harry Sullivan
    The Brigadier
    Adric
    Vislor Turlough
    Kamelion (Not Sure If He's A Companion Or Not)
    Captain Jack Harkness
    Mickey Smith
    Rory Williams

I Think Thats All Of Them, If The One You Want Isnt There Just Say Him Anyway, I Just Like Making Lists x)

I like Kamelion but as a (gender-neutral?) shape-shifting android I don't classify this character a male companion. Also, the OP has omitted Adam Mitchell, who I don't like very much, but who I still count as a companion.

In order of preference:-

1. Ian
    2. Turlough
    3. Rory
    4. Ben
    5. Steven
    6. Jamie
    7. The Brigadier
    8. Captain Jack
    9. Harry
    10. Adric
    11. Mickey
    12. Adam
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Brigadier a companion? I've always felt he was - out of interest, do those who think the answer is no, do they not think Liz was a companion either? Or Sara Kingdom who only travelled with the Doctor during one story? The Brigadier travelled in the TARDIS (on TV) in The Three Doctors, Mawdryn Undead and the Five Doctors - and as the Night of the Doctor made all Big Finish canonical, he also travelled with the Doctor during The Three Companions - the name of that official story making it rather clear that they regard the Brigadier as a companion. And yes, he is my favourite.

Jamie would be in second place for me - a wonderful relationship with Pat Troughton. And... there are several others I really like over both the original and the new series. But these are IMHO the two who stand head and shoulders above the others.

I agree that the Brigadier can be classed as a companion for the reasons you gave.

Liz may never have travelled in the Tardis with the Doctor on screen, but she did in one of the novels, which I regard as canon, so that's good enough for me! Liz is therefore a companion as far as I'm concerned.

Sara Kingdom may only have appeared in one story, but in that one story she travelled in the Tardis with the Doctor for (from her point of view) several months, so for me Sara Kingdom is undoubtedly a companion.
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toss up between Jamie and Rory for me,I've seen more Rory so maybe he just shades it.
    I must admit I've got a lot more appreciation for Turlough now,when I was young i couldn't stand him,but now I find his cowardice amusing,in fact he's probably closer to what a real companion would be like than any other.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    In recent years, Rory was well written and brilliantly acted but I'd go for Mickey because I really liked the way his character was allowed to evolve and grow-up with each appearance.

However, if we can include him - I'd be happy to see some more of Wilf cos I love that character and I reckon he'd do well alongside Capaldi.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In recent years, Rory was well written and brilliantly acted but I'd go for Mickey because I really liked the way his character was allowed to evolve and grow-up with each appearance.

However, if we can include him - I'd be happy to see some more of Wilf cos I love that character and I reckon he'd do well alongside Capaldi.

Yeah, I love Wilfred. He is my favorite 21st Century Doctor Who companion. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Jamie. He was the longest serving companion for good reason, cos he was brilliant. I'd love for the character to make a return, and I know Frazer Hines is eager to come back to the show