Gary a "phenomenal" actor

2»

Comments

• Scout66Scout66 Posts: 5,576
    Forum Member
    adwalton wrote: »
    Yes. Why are actors and entertainers expected to go on working well after normal retirement age, while most other people retire at 60 or 65, or even earlier?

Probably because the likes of Jane Fonda, Gene Hackman, Robert Redford, Clint Eastwood and a handful of others all turned in award winning performances into their 70's. I guess people forget they are the very rare exceptions rather than the rule.

I don't like Gary but he was fantastic as Buddy Holly and had a good career as a supporting actor in some big Hollywood action block busters. I feel it's sad he has been reduced to working in direct to video films and reality shows to pay the bills. It's a shame he's doesn't feel or isn't able to retire with some dignity.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is B list all the way
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd class 'phenomenal' as people like Laurence Olivier and Marlon Brando, Emma must have meant 'pretty good' :cool:
  • JayUK69JayUK69 Posts: 1,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is a mediocre actor at best. Just because he's been in so many films, doesn't make him a great actor. If he was that good, he would have passed this task with flying colours. I've seen better acting at my nephew's junior school plays.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    When you can't sing, you write.

You couldn't be more wrong.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, that's what Emma thinks. Is he, or is that a wee bit over the top?

No. He is a has been actor.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Demiurgic wrote: »
    You couldn't be more wrong.

I don't think so.
  • Southern SofteeSouthern Softee Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Elvis never wrote songs :D

Oh yes he did!
  • jp761jp761 Posts: 33,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndrewPd wrote: »
    When was his last acting Job?
    97/98 i think google it i looked several days a go now but cant remember what film. Also you're see all the 60 films hes been in. But he appeared briefly in Piranha 3DD in 2012 as he said on BB the other night , saying how shit the film is he was in 8 mins he said lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This task balloon cracks me up too saying he was crap. Do people realize actors research the parts they play. How would a balloon phobia person act , i have no clue i doubt hardly anyone does lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I am sorry I have never found his acting to be up to this grand scale that they keep pushing at us. I know I know once an Oscar nominated star always an Oscar nominated star, but even with that there are some Oscar winners out there where I look at their performances and go REALLY??? you won, or who have been a one trick pony win.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lucygracie wrote: »
    I am sorry I have never found his acting to be up to this grand scale that they keep pushing at us. I know I know once an Oscar nominated star always an Oscar nominated star, but even with that there are some Oscar winners out there where I look at their performances and go REALLY??? you won, or who have been a one trick pony win.
    He's also won awards from actual film critics in his time. There's quite a few awards for actors out there , not just the televised oscars.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    jp761 wrote: »
    He's also won awards from actual film critics in his time. There's quite a few awards for actors out there , not just the televised oscars.

Sylvester Stallone was nominated for an Oscar I don't think that he is a phenomal actor because of it. Everyone keeps banging on about it. I looked up his award listings and there doesn't seem to be much to the list other than the Buddy Holly story. I know there are a lot more awards out there and I have even seen what I consider better acting on TV than some Oscar winners so I am not saying other awards aren't valid but they just keep banging the same nail over and over.
  • EnricoIVEnricoIV Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, let's see. He has 5 movies that have been or are being released this year. Two in post-production for next year.

Is that recent enough for you?

And yeah, he wasn't the greatest in the balloon task. But let's do remember, when you're an actor ... they do give you a script, you rehearse, you might have several takes, and they edit it before you see a finished product.
  • scotslassiescotslassie Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone who was someone will end up a has been.

But most folk will never be anyone. Historically speaking.

Gary Busey will be remembered because he's a movie star. Brad Pitt of the dancing world will be forgotten along with the other never- was'es in there.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jp761 wrote: »
    This task balloon cracks me up too saying he was crap. Do people realize actors research the parts they play. How would a balloon phobia person act , i have no clue i doubt hardly anyone does lol

I agree. A big part of movie acting is the ability to follow a directors instructions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lethal Weapon (1987) · Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) · Predator 2 (1990) · Point Break (1990)

Just three of Gary's film roles. There are many, many more. He is small in stature and did not have 'matinee idol' looks. Leading Man roles generally, with a few notable exceptions, go to tall, pretty actors.

Age comes to all so fortunate as to live long enough. Serious illness comes to many. Gary cannot be expected, after two brain operations after a head injury, to be the man he was before.

I think he's great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    adwalton wrote: »
    Yes. Why are actors and entertainers expected to go on working well after normal retirement age, while most other people retire at 60 or 65, or even earlier?

because you need people to play the parts of those over 60! :o
  • too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging by the way that he's convincing most viewers that he's this poor, frail, vulnerable victim then I'd say he's a pretty damn good actor - much better than I'd given him credit for...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very few actors - male or female - are still being offered Leading Man/Lady roles at age 70. Gary is a character actor. He is still working, despite his many difficulties.

Hollywood is not sentimental about its fading 'stars'. If he was considered no good, he wouldn't be working.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    When you can't sing, you write.

Elvis had a great voice but wasn't a songwriter.
    Oh yes he did!

Oh no he didn't! :p

Colonel Parker would tell certain songwriters to give Presley a co-writing credit in order to make more money off of the song. The writer would agree because they knew Presley singing it would make it an hit. He made certain musical arrangements on some songs but he was never a songwriter.

Presley wrote a song in the 60's to actually try it and everyone told him to leave it to others.

I wrote a song the other night which was absolute crap but if Presley can be considered a songwriter I guess I must be one too. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Elvis never wrote songs :D

No he Co wrote them......... love me tender to mention one. too many to list really.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    No he Co wrote them......... love me tender to mention one. too many to list really.

Because you can't list them you mean. Love Me Tender was a civil war ballad that a guy called Ken Darby put new words to but again Presley got his co-credit.
  • Cats_EyesCats_Eyes Posts: 20,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    He is B list all the way

You are entitled to your opinion of course - which I might add I do not share.

But considering that every one of the people you are currently watching on this show are "B List " -or worse - what is the actual point in your post because on that basis he is in good company ?
  • JVB69JVB69 Posts: 438
    Forum Member

2014 - Behaving badly. His first was 1968. If you read his filmotography it is great reading.