Lips swollen?

Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Basically, I ate salt and vinegar pringles earlier and now my top lip is really swollen. Never had this type of reaction to them before nor anything else.

Could it an allergic reaction or something else like the salt? Is it worth going to an out of hours doctor or something? I've taken an hay fever type allergy tablet, but I'm currently on my own and am worried in case it gets worse or something.

I know DS isn't the best place for medical advice, but I'm a bit apprehensive about wasting a doctors time and I've also got a lot to do. I'm not sure how serious it is.

Comments

• Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really have any advice but for as long as I can remember whenever I eat salt and vinegar crisps my lips go white and tingle and feel a bit swollen. It goes away in time. Not sure if this is the same thing you have though so hopefully someone will have some more uselful information :)
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chihiro94 wrote: »
    Basically, I ate salt and vinegar pringles earlier and now my top lip is really swollen. Never had this type of reaction to them before nor anything else.

Could it an allergic reaction or something else like the salt? Is it worth going to an out of hours doctor or something? I've taken an hay fever type allergy tablet, but I'm currently on my own and am worried in case it gets worse or something.

I know DS isn't the best place for medical advice, but I'm a bit apprehensive about wasting a doctors time and I've also got a lot to do. I'm not sure how serious it is.
    Actually not such an unusual reaction, if I eat Salt and Vinegar crisps or Prawn on the odd occasion my lips may tingle or swell a little,--not a huge amount but the sensation will last for quite a while.

Of course you could have the start of a cold sore and the crisp coating has reacted to it.

Give it till 9-10 pm, then make a decision, either you are OK, your doctor, A&E.
    :)
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chihiro94 wrote: »

Overall your post suggests to me that you have a high level of generalised anxiety about your health.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    I really dont think a Dr is needed.
    Wash your face. Put some lipsyl or lip balm on.
    Unless your mouth has swollen to a point you cant breathe i wouldnt bother with A&E
  • WizsisterWizsister Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    I also get this reaction when I eat too many pringles. Its probably the high salt content. Drink plenty of water and take an antihistamine/hayfever tablet if you're still worried.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may be an allergic reaction to the chemicals in Pringles. Could be the monosodium glutamate or other shit that they make these things out of. Best advice is not to eat artificial foods.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    It may be an allergic reaction to the chemicals in Pringles. Could be the monosodium glutamate or other shit that they make these things out of. Best advice is not to eat artificial foods.

Could be any of the following:

Pringles have only about 42% potato content, the remainder being wheat starch and flours (potato, corn, and rice) mixed with vegetable oils, an emulsifier, salt, and seasoning.[14] Other ingredients can include sweeteners like maltodextrin and dextrose, monosodium glutamate (MSG), disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, sodium caseinate, modified food starch, monoglyceride and diglyceride, autolyzed yeast extract, natural and artificial flavors, malted barley flour, wheat bran, dried black beans, sour cream, cheddar cheese, etc.; Pringles varieties vary in their ingredients.[19] Contrary to a popular misconception, Pringles chips are fried, not baked
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Antihistamine ?