Options

Nicolas Cage

PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
Forum Member
✭✭✭
he seems to have a film out every month and on the whole they're terrible BUT i still really like him. there's something undeniably cool about him i think.

20 odd years ago he was in some of my favourite films - raising arizona, moonstruck (which he nearly ruined) and wild at heart.

nowadays he seems to make any old shit - drive angry (guilty please of mine actually), stolen, justice, ghost rider, as well as some AWFUL remakes, the wicker man being the worst.

what do other people think of him?

i don't think he takes himself remotely seriously, yet instead of annoying me i kind of like him.

Comments

• Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trespass, season of the witch, knowing, next...

occasionally he does do the odd good film - the bad lieutenant remake was good i thought.

when he started out he was a character actor, then the rock, con air and face off turned him into a really leftfield kind of action hero.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked him in Raising Arizona, Face Off and Kick Ass. In every other film he's being in I just find him embarrassingly uncool.
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An actor who,for me,cannot act! I like some
    of the films he has done though,and just wish
    they had been made with other actors in his
    roles!
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He does have talent, but he makes some shocking choices when it comes to roles he picks. Moonstruck, Vampire's Kiss,Honeymoon in Vegas, Leaving Las Vegas and Adaptation. all demonstrate he has a fair amount of acting ability.
  • Options
    GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is well documented that he owes the USA millions in taxes and has done so for several years. He has no choice but to clear the debt (sold both of his properties in Bath but kept a modest home near Glastonbury) and accept anything offered. He plays the game and always waxes poetic how amazing these films are, but it must be a bit soul destroying.

Matchstick Men was a great little Ridley Scott film that didn't get a lot of press and he thoroughly deserved his Oscar nom for Adaptation.

I hope once he clears the debt, he can be a bit more choosy about what to put his name to.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i saw him in ghost rider 2 recently & his facial expresions just make me laugh so much,he's trying to be serious but he comes of as a cheap ace ventura :D

face off was good as was con-air but most other stuff he's done is laughable rubbish.

ghost rider should have been a younger acor though i reckon
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhynoGB wrote: »

face off was good as was con-air but most other stuff he's done is laughable rubbish.

I have to say this kind of comment irks me, have you actually seen films like Leaving Las Vegas or Adaptation. ? They could be called many things, but "laughable rubbish" ? Really?
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he does make lots of terrible movies , but he does have a great crazy style about him , and every now and then makes something terrific .

who else could've played Hit Girl's dad in Kick-Ass ? he was brilliant in that .
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I have to say this kind of comment irks me, have you actually seen films like Leaving Las Vegas or Adaptation. ? They could be called many things, but "laughable rubbish" ? Really?

my opinion..you might like them i didn't,i thought they were rubbish..each to there own i guess
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Gellymiss wrote: »
    It is well documented that he owes the USA millions in taxes and has done so for several years. He has no choice but to clear the debt (sold both of his properties in Bath but kept a modest home near Glastonbury) and accept anything offered. He plays the game and always waxes poetic how amazing these films are, but it must be a bit soul destroying.

Matchstick Men was a great little Ridley Scott film that didn't get a lot of press and he thoroughly deserved his Oscar nom for Adaptation.

I hope once he clears the debt, he can be a bit more choosy about what to put his name to.

Oh, I didn't know that. That explains the utter dross the poor sod's been in over the past few years. He was excellent in Leaving Las Vegas and Wild at Heart. He undoubtedly has talent but you wouldn't know it from the straight-to-video actioners he's been in recently.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked him in The Bad Lieutenant.

There's something about him that makes me laugh - I think it's his facial expressions.:p
  • Options
    SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give him the right material with the right director and he's great. Anything less and he's a bit crap.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I don't quite understand about Nicolas Cage is that he's cast in all these action hero type leading roles, but to me he just seems too goofy and dorkish.
    He has a sort of long dopey face.
    If he was a British actor he'd be cast in a TV sitcom playing the sidekick who's a bit slow.

I'd say that he is badly cast in all these types of films, but I guess if the films make money it makes it harder for me to make that claim.
    I suppose if you're friends with the right people...

I did like Wild at Heart though, and now that I like that film I find it hard to imagine anyone else playing the role.
    I have to say that he was cast well for Raising Arizona too.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    ^ Why did I just think of Tim Vine? :D
  • Options
    Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolute legend in my eyes, anyone who hasn't seen Bad Leitenant (sorry I know I cant spell that word:o) seriously should watch it, it's so wacky and funny
  • Options
    Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently there is a statistic that he is the actor whose movies are the most profitable.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Absolute legend in my eyes, anyone who hasn't seen Bad Leitenant (sorry I know I cant spell that word:o) seriously should watch it, it's so wacky and funny
    There is a different style to the movie but you should check out the 1992 version with Harvey Keitel
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP1-oquwoL8

Brilliant actor. Scary thing is i'm not sure he's always acting.

And here's him talking to DS about the video:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a466402/nicolas-cage-on-virals-ive-watched-nicolas-cage-losing-his-st.html
  • Options
    bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    He's a fantastic actor, but the OP is right, he has made some poor films as of late with the odd diamond film as well.
  • Options
    Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    There is a different style to the movie but you should check out the 1992 version with Harvey Keitel

Yeah I've been meaning to for a while just haven't got round to it yet
  • Options
    CherumanCheruman Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    He used to be a legend… not any more though in my eyes, not after his films from the last few years.
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Con Air, I like the National Treasure films, and I thought he was good in Gone in 60 Seconds. He's a bit of an everyman, a go to guy for average action flicks. He's goofy and dozy looking, but likeable, that's his draw I think.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I do like him, but he went down hill after "Bangok Dangerous" his debt does explain why he appears in a movie every few months though. I watched "Stolen" recently on Netflix and it's not bad a 6.5/10 kind of movie.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give him the right material with the right director and he's great.
    And the right wig. :D

His hairstyle is often the highlight of the film. :D