Alison King (Carla) was brilliant on Corrie last week

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The big story was the surrogacy drama but for me, Alison King's performance surpassed everything else that went on.

I loved watching Carla go through a range of emotions in every epsiode. At the start of the week, she was anxious and desperately hoping she was wrong about her brother. Then there was the confusion, frustration, hurt, sadness, anger etc.

Her monologue in Tuesday's episode was exceptional. After discovering her brother's betrayal, a distraught Carla sat down with Peter and quietly told him a story about 'the coat she never did get'. While the story was not particularly sensational, it was relevant because Carla was thinking back to a time when she felt hurt and betrayed by her brother (after he stole the money she had managed to save from working in a shoe shop every Saturday) it gave us a bit of an insight into Carla and Rob's past and Alison displayed an incredible depth of emotion. She was tremendous in that scene. Imagine how different it could have played out if the writers had given a monologue like that to the wrong actor. I won't mention any names.

Chris Gascoigne (Peter) was also excellent in the scene.

The Carla / Rob confrontation on Friday was brilliant too. After feeling confused, hurt and betrayed it was was time for Carla to be angry with "dumbo". Again, another terrific performance from Ms King, which involved Carla dishing out some home truths to Rob and practically battering her brother until Peter stepped in and declared, "He's not worth it".
I also liked Rob's line "It's not my fault you were the smelly girl with one pair of shoes" because Carla's reaction said it all. She will do anything to avoid revisiting her childhood and the past that she was so desperate to escape from, but we all know she's gonna have to face her demons at some point. I can't wait.

Their confrontation ended with Rob shouting "Carla, you finished with me twenty years ago!" When you take away the stolen silk, the sibling rivalry, Rob's betrayal and Carla's refusal to send her brother back to prison - that is what is hanging over both of them - the fact that Carla 'escaped', probably the first chance she got, she made a life for herself and Rob was left behind. He resents her for that and she blames herself.

This is a long post but I only really wanted to say that Alison King's performance last week was acting in its finest form.

Comments

• princesseggnessprincesseggness Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Tom_Willis wrote: »
    The big story was the surrogacy drama but for me, Alison King's performance surpassed everything else that went on.

I loved watching Carla go through a range of emotions in every epsiode. At the start of the week, she was anxious and desperately hoping she was wrong about her brother. Then there was the confusion, frustration, hurt, sadness, anger etc.

Her monologue in Tuesday's episode was exceptional. After discovering her brother's betrayal, a distraught Carla sat down with Peter and quietly told him a story about 'the coat she never did get'. While the story was not particularly sensational, it was relevant because Carla was thinking back to a time when she felt hurt and betrayed by her brother (after he stole the money she had managed to save from working in a shoe shop every Saturday) it gave us a bit of an insight into Carla and Rob's past and Alison displayed an incredible depth of emotion. She was tremendous in that scene. Imagine how different it could have played out if the writers had given a monologue like that to the wrong actor. I won't mention any names.

The Carla / Rob confrontation on Friday was brilliant too. After feeling confused, hurt and betrayed it was was time for Carla to be angry with "dumbo". Again, another terrific performance from Ms King, which involved Carla dishing out some home truths to Rob and practically battering her brother until Peter stepped in and declared, "He's not worth it".
    I also liked Rob's line "It's not my fault you were the smelly girl with one pair of shoes" because Carla's reaction said it all. She will do anything to avoid revisiting her childhood and the past that she was so desperate to escape from, but we all know she's gonna have to face her demons at some point. I can't wait.

Their confrontation ended with Rob shouting "Carla, you finished with me twenty years ago!" When you take away the stolen silk, the sibling rivalry, Rob's betrayal and Carla's refusal to send her brother back to prison - that is what is hanging over both of them - the fact that Carla 'escaped', probably the first chance she got, she made a life for herself and Rob was left behind. He resents her for that and she blames herself.

This is a long post but I only really wanted to say that Alison King's performance last week was acting in its finest form.

Hey Tom, well executed and excellently observed. I couldn't have put this better myself! Totally agree with everything you've written here. I've so enjoyed this week's Carter episodes, tremendously. Ali and Chris's performances,..so perfectly nuanced. I love them,...long may they continue! :)
  • madaboutcarlamadaboutcarla Posts: 10,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree - it's why I love her. I think she is the master of subtly - especially during the Rape SL I noticed the tiniest of movements and things that made her stand out. It was her acting that made me love her.
  • princesseggnessprincesseggness Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    I can't help revisiting the rape sl and the siege sl very often. Simply because I just so love getting drawn in, watching all those range of emotions. Ali's performances are mesmerising,..electric!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    She is just amazing :) I love her so much and she deserves more recognition for her acting than she gets. Carla wouldn't be so popular if it wasn't for Alison King's amazing performances, it was Alison King who made Carla brilliant and that's why i love her.
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hm her film star looks have nothing to do with it eh?
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alison is an amazing actress, her and Chris have great chemistry and I love them as a couple as well as individual characters. Alison is the best actress on Corrie and Chris the best actor.
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,870
    Forum Member
    I'm generally not a huge fan of Carla but last night I did really enjoy her performance of her showdown with Rob. I would love Corrie to do a spin off episode or a webisode type thing which shows a young Carla and Rob and their lives growing up, linking into Rob's line about her being the smelly girl with one pair of shoes. They waste so much of Carla on rubbish stuff in my opinion when clearly there is so much more interesting stuff they could explore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    I love it when I see posts like this in this part of the forum. It's weirdly satisfying when people who don't post at all, or post very little in the Alison King thread who spot her talent and appreciate it with us! :D

It probably sounds biased because I'm such a big fan of hers, but I totally agree with her overshadowing the surrogacy storyline. All of the actors involved in that have done a brilliant job and I do love Michelle Keegan, but I still feel like Ali's swiped them out and the writers have done such a good job this week delving into her childhood - something we've never had before and have been left wondering about for so long!

But yes, as always, she's done a brilliant job - Let me remind you all that she's up for Best Actress for the TV choice awards so go go go and vote!!!! :D
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I agree completely. The surrogacy drama was supposed to be the headlining story of the week, but Carla's story has totally taken over imo thanks to some good writing and strong acting. I finally feel like Carla is back after spending the best part of 18 months sucking up to Peter. Even think the actor who plays Rob was good last night, particularly his facial reaction when Carla disowned him as a brother in the Bistro.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. AK is one of the best actresses in Corrie.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    Alison King is a brilliant actress even though I don't like her character sometimes.
  • ParoFlameParoFlame Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    Alison is an amazing actress, her and Chris have great chemistry and I love them as a couple as well as individual characters. Alison is the best actress on Corrie and Chris the best actor.

I completely agree with you :) They're both brilliant and work so well together. I would like to think that if Carla is going to talk to anyone about her upbringing, it will be Peter. Especially if he continues to support her the way he did last week. If the coat story scene with the two of them is anything to go by, then we are in for a treat.
    I liked the way it was directed, the close-up shots made it more intense and the acting was truly superb. It was subtle, understated but powerful.

I agree OP. Alison King was brilliant last week :)
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP. You could see Carla's changing emotions, and it was good to hear something about their upbringing. Peter was a proper support for her too. It was much the most absorbing part of this week's story lines.
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hm her film star looks have nothing to do with it eh?
    Posts like this make me want to laugh and cry simultaneously. No, she is a fantastic actress who happens to be attractive. She has consistently received critical acclaim especially during the rape plot.

If it was all about looks Alan Halsall wouldn't have won Best Actor at the BSAs and NTAs this year would he? And Ms King is not exactly even considered the "sexiest" by the majority; that gong goes to Keegan and Georgia May Foote.

No one even thought to bring in her appearance. We're talking about her acting. I guess some people are just prone to being superficial.

I can only presume that reply is steeped in jealousy or something but that's a common problem among women anyway thanks to the society of "perfection" we live in. :)
  • MissLcMissLc Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Alison King is in my opinion, the best actress in any of the soaps by a mile. She can steal a scene without saying a word, and the expressions she uses and the pain in her eyes in episodes last week were simply incredible. The way she delivered the lines in recent episodes were so emotional, and I loved hers and Robs scenes as I feel there is still way more to their relationship and I cannot wait to see more.

Re the post on her looks, her looks had nothing to do with any of the points made, no one is discussing her looks, just her simply amazing acting skills.
  • Holz_Holz_ Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with everything that's been said.

Not that I'm calling Michelle Keegan et al bad actors, in fact I think Michelle is seriously underrated, but I agree that in one subtle look, Ali portrays just as much emotion, if not more, than was portrayed in whole scenes with the surrogacy storyline. I know I'm biased in part, being a big Ali/Carla fan anyway, but scenes like Carla's 'coat story' and when she disowned Rob last night, which should have been more supporting scenes to the big headline action, actually stood out a whole lot more to me. With Ali you can see she really feels Carla's pain, empathises with and understands her character, as opposed to merely reading out lines and following direction.
    She's proof that you don't need to scream and shout to make an impact, and actually some of her most powerful performances are in those tiny little details that most people wouldn't even think about, but come together to completely pull in the viewer. I think Chris another rare actor in this calibre, which is partly why they work so well together and why I think they have so much chemistry. Going from a scene with the two of them to a scene with *certain other actors* can almost be like watching an entirely different programme, the gulf is sometimes that huge.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Agree very much with everything written here. Loved Carla and the story line brought to the fore some of her history which was great. I have no idea if Rob is leaving but I hope not. I'd love to find out more about them and I'm one of few I think who actually likes Rob it's just pairing him with the Street pantomime baddie, Tracey that's ruined him for me. If they could split up I'd love to see more of him and though I know most don't like Michelle that much I think she'd be perfect for Rob.
  • Corrie2010Corrie2010 Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carla is brilliant
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel sorry for Rob.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's in a league of her own. Class act
  • alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    Very early performance from Alison King in Urban Gothic

Enjoy!!

http://youtu.be/QgqrGO5tLU4
  • madaboutcarlamadaboutcarla Posts: 10,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I love is how modest Ali King comes across. Apparently she was a nervous wreck before the BSAs and hates being nominated bless her!
  • trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    Alison and Chris are two of the finest actors on Corrie.
    Glad to see them get more of a storyline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Tom_Willis wrote: »

OMG that is such a perfect way to put it! I love Ali she is just great one of the best i think :)
  • Carla-esqueCarla-esque Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Carla this week (and she got better as the days progressed) :)
    Ali consistently acts brilliantly and, depending on the writing, she always manages to produce an amazing scene or two every now and then.