Options

CBB: Racist Ron Strikes Again

GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
Forum Member
Yeah, so I just find it absolute funny that Ron "Big Ron" Atkinson was permanantly excluded from British Television after his "racism acandal" and he only goes and strikes again after being let back on television. I just feel so sorry for him.

Comments

• Options
    Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did he do?
    (This time, not originally)
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He asked a girl wearing a head scarf if she was carrying a bomb as a joke
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, that's the sort of throwaway joke that ordinary people make all the time.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »

How is that racist?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    To be fair, that's the sort of throwaway joke that ordinary people make all the time.

Well glad i'm not "ordinary" then .
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    How is that racist?

It's not racist - bigoted for sure, but not racist.
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh for crying out loud lighten up will you
  • Options
    Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh please, stuff like this is the only reason they put him in there in the first place. He was working for Sky (I think) and was off camera but his mike was still on while watching a match, he called Robbie Earle (I think) a f***ing stupid lazy n****r. The Daily Mail actually printed in full on their website but have now removed it and do not even make any reference to it in the article now.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBB makes the headlines, job well done.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    CBB makes the headlines, job well done.

Must be racist incident number 4 or 5 now. The producers must be really slow learner s. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ron is from a diffrent era when sports stars where actually nicknamed Nig .
    Johnny Beazley (1941–49), Joe Berry (1921–22), Bobby Bragan (1940–48), Nig Clarke (1905–20), Nig Cuppy (1892–1901), Nig Fuller (1902), Johnny Grabowski (1923–31), Nig Lipscomb (1937), Charlie Niebergall (1921–24), Nig Perrine (1907

not making excuses for him but its something he has grown up with .
    and that nonsense from the other night is just big brother making it clear they are acting accordingly .
    the show is not live , they could have edited it out if they wanted but no they know it makes the papers and boosts the profile of the show so left it in . if they infact thought it was that bad then their just as bad for allowing it too be broadcast .
  • Options
    AceMcCloudAceMcCloud Posts: 2,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way I took it was that he was insinuating that people who carry bombs sometimes cover their faces

I also think that if anything because of his age and the fact she was Irish he was alluding to the IRA, not sure if that changes the impact but they did wear balaclavas and they most certainly carried bombs

Far to quick to rush to judgement these days, plenty others have said plenty worse and had it laughed off
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do people cope with everyday life? PC and 'being offended' seems to be some kind of religion to some, how do they find time to live?

CBB, the people in there and why. I must be a lady's bits though, I find the unpc things funny, but I am old and probably bit like Frank from 'Everybody Loves Raymond.'
    Yes, I am that ladylike.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Ron is from a diffrent era when sports stars where actually nicknamed Nig .
    Johnny Beazley (1941–49), Joe Berry (1921–22), Bobby Bragan (1940–48), Nig Clarke (1905–20), Nig Cuppy (1892–1901), Nig Fuller (1902), Johnny Grabowski (1923–31), Nig Lipscomb (1937), Charlie Niebergall (1921–24), Nig Perrine (1907

not making excuses for him but its something he has grown up with .
    and that nonsense from the other night is just big brother making it clear they are acting accordingly .
    the show is not live , they could have edited it out if they wanted but no they know it makes the papers and boosts the profile of the show so left it in . if they infact thought it was that bad then their just as bad for allowing it too be broadcast .
    Don't get me wrong, I agree 100%, but I just think its a bit sad, that given his track record, he would think carefully about what he says. All of the people in that house are either, there for the money, trying to clear their name or trying to build up/back their careers and I would guess he was there for the latter two, in which case he's completely fxxxed it up...
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Must be racist incident number 4 or 5 now. The producers must be really slow learner s.

And each one grabs the headlines and ensure more publicity for the programme. As I said, a job well done.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any white person who uses the N word is without doubt a racist but then most of the people of Ron's age and educational background are likely to be racist - they grew up during a time when the N word was used all the time and inter-racial marriage was seen as scandalous so whilst their racist lapses are regrettable, I think they should be cut a bit of slack initially but repeat offending is not to be tolerated!
  • Options
    Steve1977Steve1977 Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actions speak louder than words and Big Ron is not a racist. Just another instance of namby pamby PC brigade getting in with the normal crowd where people do take the mickey out of each other and people do go over the line.

He was the one manager that used to pick black players, most notably the '3 degree's' of West Brom. Cunningham, Regis and Batson. Not forgetting when Dalian Atkinson scored in the Coca Cola league cup final, you could lip read him when he said "thats my boy"

If that's a racist then I give up
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See, i'm wondering if the people who complain about this thing known as "The PC Brigade" should be considered a "Brigade" themselves since they're always out in force complaining about so-called "PC" things when someone says something offensive ..
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought there was a dedicated forum for Big Brother.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Any white person who uses the N word is without doubt a racist but then most of the people of Ron's age and educational background are likely to be racist - they grew up during a time when the N word was used all the time and inter-racial marriage was seen as scandalous so whilst their racist lapses are regrettable, I think they should be cut a bit of slack initially but repeat offending is not to be tolerated!

What a load of old hogwash!! Just because someone uses a word that's no longer politically correct doesn't make them a racist.

Yes, the "word" was used all the time, there was even a brown shade of paint that used the word to describe it, was everyone who bought that brown paint a racist? According to your logic, everyone over the age of sixty is automatically deemed to be racist because of the use of vocabulary that was acceptable when they were young. What a stupid thing to think, it makes you ageist :mad: .
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I thought there was a dedicated forum for Big Brother.

Yes there is and posts such as the one that I just quoted should be relegated to that section of the forums. :mad:
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member

You would have had problems when buying a certain shade of shoe polish a few years back.

As for poor old Ron, I should send him on a PC new speak course.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good old ron!:D

That's the type of joke me and my mates make down the pub all the time.! :o

Ken
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    eye3 wrote: »

I thought she'd wrapped her wet hair in a towel...so it was't even a scarf or dedicated head dress....The PC producers equated a wet towel worn by an Irish woman with an Islamic headscarf...ludicrous...If the production team deemed his comment to be so offensive as to warrant a warning, then why show it...other than to create a headline and attract viewers
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Steve1977 wrote: »
    Actions speak louder than words and Big Ron is not a racist. Just another instance of namby pamby PC brigade getting in with the normal crowd where people do take the mickey out of each other and people do go over the line.

He was the one manager that used to pick black players, most notably the '3 degree's' of West Brom. Cunningham, Regis and Batson. Not forgetting when Dalian Atkinson scored in the Coca Cola league cup final, you could lip read him when he said "thats my boy"

If that's a racist then I give up

Not sure how that bit of logic works.
    Employ a tool to do a job of work.
    Doesn't imply he thinks of them as anything more than the right tool, to do that particular job of work (play football).
    Has Big Ron ever said there was anything anti-racist/racism in employing Black players?

Haven't seen Big Ron since wife swap with Tessa Sanderson, thread is on here somewhere.

Hey ho, I've seen some of your previous on the subject of race and 'PC', I don't think you've got the first clue.